What's new

Indian Americans more successful than other immigrant groups in the US

The chart is about immigrant population settled in the US. not a discussion about other countries current economic status. OR vs. temp work force. you ( Chinese)are doing to badly because you fellas as a profession are more geared towards service industries like restaurants and retail. for that you don't need higher education or earn top dollars.

Why do Korean, Japanese and Chinese earn similar wages? Are they also into restaurants and other retail industries while super duper India is into top CEO positions?

Pointing out how few people get into people's nerve and the same old dirty game starts :enjoy:

But there was continued prodding by the OP and others about 'where are the Chinese, Koreans, etc.', so it's natural that an explanation would be rendered.

I actually agree with the Chinese explanation. The demographics of expats v/s source country tends to be more even for developed countries because there is less need for their educated elite to migrate to the West. A gross disparity implies that the source country is experiencing a brain drain. Now, according to the stats, 70% of Indian-Americans have college degrees and, since 70% of Indians in India do not have college degrees, that should be cause for concern that the educated elite are voting with their feet.

However, I also agree with the point that Indian-Americans tend to be more clued in to the Western management style -- because of better English and familiarity with American culture -- than other Asian groups, so they are more successful as an immigrant group.

Don't know about others. I told you why Chinese fail . Just like when you claim yourself to be a journalist because you post on forums and have a blog.

I bet you guys are at the bottom of ladder in Germany too- not unique to the US . This study is about settled immigrant population not about folks on a work or student visa.

and 300 million Chinese doing well out 1.6 bil when you are 2nd highest in GDP is not some laurel you can hang your hat on.

Of course you don't know, because the fact that other East Asian and Western European emigrants to the US are doing as "badly" as the Chinese would debunk your claim that Indians are somehow superior than other immigrants.

What forum and what blog do I have? Please show me where I can find my own blog!

German's are at the bottom of ladder in Germany? Indians are top here? India has 1.2 bil people and can hardly hold to 10th place in the world economy

The reason Indians are at the top in the US, is because all of them are educated. Have good jobs etc., None of them go there escaping their home country, because of some grave political situation. So no, Indians are not superior, but there is selectivity involved in that group.

But there was continued prodding by the OP and others about 'where are the Chinese, Koreans, etc.', so it's natural that an explanation would be rendered.

I actually agree with the Chinese explanation. The demographics of expats v/s source country tends to be more even for developed countries because there is less need for their educated elite to migrate to the West. A gross disparity implies that the source country is experiencing a brain drain. Now, according to the stats, 70% of Indian-Americans have college degrees and, since 70% of Indians in India do not have college degrees, that should be cause for concern that the educated elite are voting with their feet.

However, I also agree with the point that Indian-Americans tend to be more clued in to the Western management style -- because of better English and familiarity with American culture -- than other Asian groups, so they are more successful as an immigrant group.

Correction I don't pull anyone other than the Chinese in my comparison because they are lot who brag about their IQ and legendary success.

Btw- Which country has the same education status % that they have reported in the US- back home? and as bogus as your theory is about " Indians send their brilliant minds while Chinese send their retards ( that's what your are saying basically) the study was about settled population and not student visas and work visa holders.

There is a reason why after thirty years India still can't get kaveri engine working properly. The guys that could get the job done are working in pratt and whittney Or GE making engines for them.

Götterdämmerung;3454878 said:
Of course you don't know, because the fact that other East Asian and Western European emigrants to the US are doing as "badly" as the Chinese would debunk your claim that Indians are somehow superior than other immigrants.

What forum and what blog do I have? Please show me where I can find my own blog!

German's are at the bottom of ladder in Germany? Indians are top here? India has 1.2 bil people and can hardly hold to 10th place in the world economy

There is no debunking anything. there are winners and losers in every equation... Indians are winners, and it's not Germans , its Chinese like you are at the bottom of the German immigrant ladder too-was my assertion. ( which knew well ). :wave: finally you claimed to be journalist here when squealing for China awhile back.

There is a reason why after thirty years India still can't get kaveri engine working properly. The guys that could get the job done are working in pratt and whittney Or GE making engines for them.

So how does it feel to be called the dumb of china sent over to the US by your fellow Chinese? ...:tongue:

Few things that I have always mentioned behind Indians migrating to US and other western countries for education.

First is that, Indian students either take educational loan or they may bear the cost. Also Indians and Chinese get Teaching Assistantship easily or being Research Assistant. reason behind is that the priority of Indian and Chinese students. For Asian students, the facilities which seems normal to local and western students, seems like high standard.

Another thing is Indians and Chinese are good in Mathematics, especially Chinese (look at their math Olympiad records) and Indians (if an engineering student in India scores less than 780 out of 800 in Quantitative section in GRE, he/she is considered dumb.) and Indians have edge over Chinese in English (which is diminishing)

That's why we see more Indian and Chinese students doing MS and PhD. One friend of mine just published a paper with a Chinese student under an American Professor. He says, Indians and Chinese go along well and work with ease.

Now these post graduates occupy the senior positions in the major companies. Many of them lead the R&D department. Masters and especially PhD gives initial boost to higher pay job.

Now the other western students like from US, Germany etc, they can go back and get similar pay job in their own country.

A research assistant in Spain earns 1,50,000 rps per month while same Indian learns hardly 15-25,000 Rps.
Now think of the loan he has to pay and the money he can provide to his family and enjoy good life in foreign country. When he has enough money, he can lead a luxurious life in India.

As there is a German member here, their research institutes are world class.

Btw- Which country has the same education status % that they have reported in the US- back home?

Japan college grads: expats 43%; back home 54%
S. Korea college grads: expats 53%; back home 55%

and as bogus as your theory is about " Indians send their brilliant minds while Chinese send their retards ( that's what your are saying basically) the study was about settled population and not student visas and work visa holders.

Your statistics also cover that. 87% of these Indian-Americans are foreign born, i.e. we are talking about migrants from India, not local born Indian-Americans for the most part.

But due to current economic situation in West, many Indians are packing their bags and returning home. Many starts their own job, some directly go to R&D department and higher post in major Indian companies, many join as faculty in elite educational institutes.

So reverse brain drain has started. Indians get knowledge from West and then use it in East. This is the reason India is seeing more entrepreneurship and thriving start ups.

Its also increasing the technical level of the education institutes of India. I have closely seen the difference between a person who has done PhD or Masters in West compared to one who did it in India.

When they taught the new generation, we saw many start ups just like IIT students.

Japan college grads: expats 43%; back home 54%
S. Korea college grads: expats 53%; back home 55%

Your statistics also cover that. 87% of these Indian-Americans are foreign born, i.e. we are talking about migrants from India, not local born Indian-Americans for the most part.

I'll verify your two countries claim but that does not absolve your excuse for china .

87% foreign born does not mean student visas or work visas is included in the pool.

There is no debunking anything. there are winners and losers in every equation... Indians are winners, and it's not Germans , its Chinese like you are at the bottom of the German immigrant ladder too-was my assertion. ( which knew well ). :wave: finally you claimed to be journalist here when squealing for China awhile back.

Whatever floats your bot, mate. I'm on my way to Paris for an extended weekend. Have fun in this forum and feel like a winner! :wave:

That's what differentiates a developing country from a developed country. India is starting to stop, and sometimes reverse, the brain drain. Better late than never.

That's why we see more Indian and Chinese students doing MS and PhD. One friend of mine just published a paper with a Chinese student under an American Professor. He says, Indians and Chinese go along well and work with ease.

Now these post graduates occupy the senior positions in the major companies. Many of them lead the R&D department. Masters and especially PhD gives initial boost to higher pay job.

Now the other western students like from US, Germany etc, they can go back and get similar pay job in their own country.

That's exactly right. Indians and Chinese students provide highly qualified but cheap, bonded labor for the professors. The other countries' students tend to go back. Chinese students are also finding opportunities back home so there's less need to stay in the West. The trend for Indian students hasn't picked up, although there is some movement in that direction.

Finally, like I wrote, the Chinese are very smart academically, but they don't tend to play office politics too well. Indians are definitely more tuned in to office politics, which is what you need to move up the management ladder. One exception is Taiwanese/Hong Kongers; they are as sharp as anyone else in office politics.

Offtopic: What is the view of an average white American about Hinduism & Buddhism ?

Buddhism is very positive, thanks to Dalai Lama.
Hindus and Sikhs on the other hand is often are mistaken for Muslims, who have a very negative image in the US.

Back
Top Bottom