What's new

Indian Air Force Sends Proposal For 33 New Russian Fighter Jets

After all those troubles with Russian jets, India is still interested in buying more Russian fighter aircrafts?

Indians don't have any other option as their pilots are trained only on the Russian fighters.

Indians don't have any other option as their pilots are trained only on the Russian fighters.

I thought India was buying Rafale? I mean if Indian pilots were trained to fly with a Mirage, they could operate more Rafale. Also, I believe Lockheed Martin has offered F-16V to Indian Air Force, including training and technical support. Why doesn't India take that offer? It is mind-boggling that India sticks with Russian fighter jets when obviously they have options.

I thought India was buying Rafale? I mean if Indian pilots were trained to fly with a Mirage, they could operate more Rafale. Also, I believe Lockheed Martin has offered F-16V to Indian Air Force, including training and technical support. Why doesn't India take that offer? It is mind-boggling that India sticks with Russian fighter jets when obviously they have options.

36 Rafales are already on order but those would not be ready until 2025.

F-16s or F/A-18 will require training and support structure that need to be built which will take atleast another decade.

Hence SU-30s and MIG-29s are the only options available in the short term (i.e. less than 3 years)

Su-30MKI will be build in Maharashtra India and Mig-29 will be build in Russia. It will take 18 to 24 months before they will be inducted into IAF. It's a sign of desperation for India.....Might Indian army and air force can't even fight China.

Last edited:
US has not offered them to India.
Lockheed has offered it's F-35B VTOL for 4 Indian LHDs of Indian navy because they are scared that they will loose the market to Boeing.
Boeing too have offered New Gen F/A-18 & F-15EX.
But IAF is not interested in it & but Boeing is planning to test super hornet on IAC-Vikramaditya.

we have a saying, digging hole after you feel like about to shit

@dbc not sure if PDF notifications are messing up again...retagging u here if that was the case.
...could u plz kindly answer this query of mine?
Post #90

I've been meaning to ask(if u can disclose such info)...and I guess this thread is good enough bcuz the topic includes IAF and Russian jets...
...u had mentioned earlier about reports trickling in of a damaged Su30 MKI that managed to make it to base(during Feb 2019 events). Any updates?

Su-30 crashed and the pilots died. It never made it back to the base.

I've been meaning to ask(if u can disclose such info)...and I guess this thread is good enough bcuz the topic includes IAF and Russian jets...
...u had mentioned earlier about reports trickling in of a damaged Su30 MKI that managed to make it to base(during Feb 2019 events). Any updates?

No, largely thanks to the COVID social distancing norms, I haven't caught up with my friends.

This is to replace the mj I’d that they lost in accidents and the one shot down by Pakistan last year

@dbc -

I believe - everything India tried to indulge China has come to a naught.

Cold War is not played in India's borders....so, India could afford to be "non-aligned".....but now there is no chance.

After all this ends - I believe (my guess) India will start buying more and more weapons from USA [while being careful]. To fill up the squadron strengths, I think India will look for cheaper imports possible F-16 [assuming F-16 is relatively cheaper].....

Indian economy must pick-up

Sukhois to keep the HAL babus happy (showing my frustration)......not sure about MIG-29, maybe they are way cheaper......

i don't think India will overtly ally itself with the US over the latest skirmish with China. Regardless, a US fighter in IAF is highly unlikely. I suspect that the winner of MMRCA 2.0 will also be expected to contract manufacture the Tejas.
In light of this the options are limited, Airbus, Boeing and LM are the only ones with mass production know-how. The Russians and Swedes are certainly out, the French are comme ci comme ça and also outrageously expensive.

Airbus is my hunch but I hesitate because they don't have a naval variant. Finally, the Chinese didn't do Pakistan any favors with the border skirmish - it has had the consequence of focusing the Indians on upgrading their offensive capabilities.

Dear Modi ji, save some money and buy Flying Saucers, because these jets will keep on falling from skies.

Ek hi dafa "conquer the world" mission per niklo!

India to buy 33 Russian fighter aircraft for $2.43 billion

ASHOK SHARMA

today

NEW DELHI (AP) — India’s defense ministry on Thursday approved the purchase of 21 Russian MiG-29 and 12 Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighter aircraft costing $2.43 billion to augment its air force as the country faces security challenges on its borders with China and Pakistan.

The planes will supplement 59 MiG-29’s and 272 Sukhoi aircraft currently in service.

The defense ministry also said it has approved local development of missile systems for all three branches of the military, and ammunition and upgraded infantry combat vehicles for the army.

India is awaiting the arrival of the first batch of 36 Rafale fighter jets ordered as part of a $8.78 billion deal signed with France in 2016 in “ready to fly” condition, meaning they will be made in France. India is expecting four to six Rafale aircraft to arrive in India at the end of this month.

India has become the world’s biggest arms importer as it modernizes its military. Major arms manufacturers are wooing the country as it replaces obsolete Soviet-era weapons.

Rahul Bedi, a defense analyst, said the acquisition of the Russian aircraft will boost the air force’s depleted fighter squadron numbers, which have dropped from an approved total of 42 to 28. One squadron comprises 18 aircraft.

He said the 21 MiG-29s will be second-hand planes that will be updated in Russia, while the 12 Su-30MKIs will be built under licence by India’s state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.

Tensions with China over disputed territory led to hand-to-hand combat between soldiers on June 15 that left 20 Indians dead. Indian officials say the standoff began in early May when large contingents of Chinese soldiers entered deep inside Indian-controlled territory at three places in Ladakh.

Indian and Chinese military officials and diplomats have held several rounds of talks aimed at reaching a solution.

India’s ties with hostile neighbor Pakistan hit a low after India changed the status of the portion of disputed Kashmir it controls in August last year. India and Pakistan have fought two wars over control of the Himalayan region since Britain gave them independence from colonial rule in 1947.

India has been fighting an insurgency in Kashmir since 1989. It accuses Pakistan of arming and training the rebels, a charge Islamabad denies.

https://apnews.com/5ac7300337fa68fee320db1595265ad1

Back
Top Bottom