What's new

Indian Air Force News & Discussions

What the ???? when did this happen ? This is the first time i am hearing that our pilots are on deputation with IsAF. Although this doesnt surprise me, but it does surprise me. Also USAF. I would wait for a better resource to confirm this. But then considering that our top flight commanders are often deputed to Israel as defence attache this should have happened sooner.

I have been waiting this news for a long time !!!!!!! Israelis are psst masters in dog fighting whereas Americans are well best at everything.

Hell yeah, the US pilots are instructors here in Hyderabad and at FIS, Tambaram, Chennai. Flying the Kiran MKII, they are C-17 pilots originally. Friends of mine!

City?s IAF station top destination for cadets from abroad - The Times of India

CHENNAI: The Mechanical Training Institute (MTI) at the Indian Air Force (IAF) Station in Tambaram is not just popular among aspiring airmen in the country. Hundreds from abroad, particularly from South East Asian nations, come to the institute to acquire flying skills.

Said to be among the IAF's oldest ground training institutes, the MTI, celebrating 75 years of its existence, imparts skills in the mechanical trades to freshly-inducted airmen as well as in-service officers and airmen. "We train airmen from many countries including the European Union. However, those from South East Asian countries outnumber the others. Some defence personnel from many African countries too, come here," Air Officer Commanding of the station, Air Commodore Sanjay Sharma, said on the sidelines of the platinum jubilee celebrations of MTI on Thursday. Before being shifted to Tambaram in 1947, the MTI was located in Secunderabad in Andhra Pradesh.

The week-long celebrations, from November 14 to 20, include a cross-country run, painting and cycling competitions for children of air warriors, cultural programmes, social get-togethers and a community lunch for serving and retired defence personnel. A ceremonial parade will be held on Saturday, marking the end of the celebrations.

Every year, the inflow of foreign cadets has been varying. It depends on the requirements of the respective countries and their budgetary allocation for such training. Besides, the total number of foreign cadets that can be trained at the institute each year is decided by the ministry of defence. On an average, around 4,000 cadets, including foreigners, are trained at the institute annually. "Our role is to give the cadets sent to us the best training," Group Captain Akhilesh Verma, commanding officer, told TOI.

The syllabus for all cadets, irrespective of their nationalities, is the same. Air warriors are imparted skills in airframe, engine and weapon trades. The first involves maintenance and servicing of airframes and its accessories while the other two involve training in undertaking repairs and servicing of gas turbine engines and armaments. "A uniform syllabus is followed for all. However, the duration varies between three and eight months depending on the nature of the training," said Verma.

The instructors here are said to be facing a unique problem. Unlike doemstic air warriors, those from South East Asian countries, especially Myanmar and Bhutan, are slow in learning the nuance of military tactics, mainly due to their poor communication skills, and this makes the instructors' job more challenging. "Our experience helps us. We try to understand their difficulties and teach them accordingly," said an air force officer.

IAF Upgrading Equipment, Defense Minister Says

The Indian air force is continuously modernizing its equipment, as well as making new purchases, Defense Minister A.K. Antony tells parliament. The IAF phases out obsolete systems and upgrades and extends the life of other equipment when feasible, he says.

Obsolete equipment like the MiG-23, MiG-25 and Canberra aircraft has been phased out, Antony says. Existing fighters including the MiG-27, MiG-29, Jaguar, Mirage 2000 and Su-30 MKI, as well as transport aircraft such as the An-32 and other helicopters, are being upgraded.

Various fighters, transport aircraft, helicopters, radars and missile systems are also being procured in a phased manner to meet military requirements, Antony says.

India is also set to sign a $2-billion deal with Dassault to upgrade 51 aging Mirage 2000 fighters to the 2000-5 standard (Aerospace Daily, Oct. 20). The agreement is expected to be signed Dec. 6 when French President Nicolas Sarkozy visits India.

Mirage2000-IndiaAirForce-USAF.jpg

New Mirage capabilities will include longer-range detection and weapon firing against multiple targets, as well as an extended operating envelope that allows for border-protection missions using two Mirages instead of six. The multitrack RDY-3 radar to be installed in the Mirage is the same generation that the French air force is using on its M-2000D, with increased range compared to the existing Doppler multifunction system.

The Mirages, which have 20 years of remaining life, will not receive an engine upgrade. However, improvements in avionics, helmet-mounted displays, electronic warfare equipment, data links and mission computers will make the aircraft a multirole fighter, an official says. Weapons will include MBDA’s MICA heat-seeking infrared (IR) missiles and MICA RFs.

“The Indian air force is undergoing a major modernization process, and the Western Air command occupies a unique position in this transformation drive,” said Air Marshal N.A.K. Browne, air officer commander-in-chief of the Western Air Command, Nov. 22 at the annual Commanders’ Conference. “The need of the hour is speedy operationalization of newly inducted equipment with a commitment to preserve and maintain what we already have to the highest possible standards.”

The two-day conference is focusing on key issues including infrastructure development, especially in the northern region of Leh, as well as introduction of new equipment and aviation and maintenance safety.

The IAF’s Western Air Command operations extend from the world’s highest airfields in the Himalayas to the deserts of Rajasthan.

A 15-year Long-Term Integrated Perspective Plan for 2002-17 is also being implemented. From April 2009 to March 2010, the IAF spent $4.5 billion.

IAF to develop airbase in northern region

The Indian Air Force's Western Air Command (WAC) decided to develop its airbase and landing ground infrastructure in the entire northern region, particular in Jammu and Kashmir.

On the last day of the two-day commanders conference of the WAC in New Delhi yesterday, it was also decided to provide a robust air maintenance operations for the Army's Commands operating in the region under its control.

The WAC has nearly 20 airbases in the region covering Rajasthan, Punjab, Haryana, Jammu and Kashmir and Uttarakhand.

It has in the last two years opened three strategically important Advanced Landing Grounds in Daulat Beg Oldi, Fuk Che and Nyoma in the Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir to provide quicker access to troops during emergencies

India is also set to sign a $2-billion deal with Dassault to upgrade 51 aging Mirage 2000 fighters to the 2000-5 standard (Aerospace Daily, Oct. 20). The agreement is expected to be signed Dec. 6 when French President Nicolas Sarkozy visits India.

I think Israel offer deal for upgrading our Mirage on half the prize offered by France ..........Correct me if i am wrong

I think Israel offer deal for upgrading our Mirage on half the prize offered by France ..........Correct me if i am wrong

i was also hoping for that.. but France holds the source code

Upgrade deal is much more than what it seems..We would not have skipped israel for france..

Upgrade deal is much more than what it seems..We would not have skipped israel for france..

yeah , cancellation of jf 17 avionics deal may seem to played a role,

I think Israel offer deal for upgrading our Mirage on half the prize offered by France ..........Correct me if i am wrong [/B]

Israels offer was for radar, avionics and a weapon package, but the upgrade of the airframes to extend their lifes for another decade in service, as well as other changes, must be done with Dassault anyway. That's might be the reason why IAF has gone for a fully French upgrade, or as Jha said, maybe even more.

DRDO Officially Names AURA For The First Time

page_6-728192.jpg

Israels offer was for radar, avionics and a weapon package, but the upgrade of the airframes to extend their lifes for another decade in service, as well as other changes, must be done with Dassault anyway. That's might be the reason why IAF has gone for a fully French upgrade, or as Jha said, maybe even more.

So far I heard, there is no engine or air frame change. That is why IAF protested against the high cost being charged by France. Other packages like weapon system etc can be done by Elta/IAI with their radars and weapons.

So far I heard, there is no engine or air frame change. That is why IAF protested against the high cost being charged by France. Other packages like weapon system etc can be done by Elta/IAI with their radars and weapons.

Hey one more profit with Israeli package is that now Elta own by Tata

Back
Top Bottom