What's new

Indian Air Force MiG-29 Fighter Aircraft Upgradation In Final Stages

Yes we are getting those components as that is a standard package. The customization include broadly
  • Using TATA chassis for most of the vehicles wherever possible
  • The number of command posts is much more allowing us to actually expand the units reach and also interconnect them with different points of active passive detection.
  • Pantisir /Tor2M for Close protection systems along with deterrence against ARM and CMs
  • These Pantsirs and Tor2M have independent highly sensitive spectrum detection solutions again feeding into other big grid
  • The central grid has a Israeli LRTR which feeds into the system
  • Elements of HTK 77N6 series from S500
  • Broadly feeding the S400 MKI into Indian BMD grid
The grid gets layered response from different categories of response. If and when the grid becomes online it will have roughly
  • Satellite Real Time surveillance
  • Aerostats based monitoring
  • Radars of different spectrum and bands in Passive and Active both
  • S400 MKI or Rather S450 MKI
  • Barak 8 Systems
  • Akash/QRSAMs/Spyder system
  • AA batteries
Not included is Indian PAD/AAD systems when they will be available.

So what you will see is only a partial part of this plan being operationalise step by step. The whole system will take time to come online but partially the groundwork is already done. Its now you can say 35-40% work done already.

For more details wait for the Annual Summit. Reliance is there with AA and will produce most of the missiles and systems under MII. And this order is Tranche 1. Much more are planned .

As for missiles everything is there from 40N6, 48N6 to 9M96E2. We might not add lower than that or 9M96E one as that portion may be taken over by Barak8 and Akash/QRSAM/Spyder systems combo

Chassis : TATA

Last edited:
MIG 29 UPG is a very good fighter plane ; India will use it till 2030 atleast

Mig-29 has a special place in every Indian kid growing up in the 90s. Now, the cockpit and avionics are fairly modern too.

Not the Nineties ; but the Eighties

I remember in 1987 when Mig 29 first came to India ; there was a HUGE sigh of relief
amongst the Indian people ; The F 16 was a real nightmare for India

MIG 29 UPG is a very good fighter plane ; India will use it till 2030 atleast

Not the Nineties ; but the Eighties

I remember in 1987 when Mig 29 first came to India ; there was a HUGE sigh of relief
amongst the Indian people ; The F 16 was a real nightmare for India
Th more pertinent question do we have enough technicians for the Mig29UPG and Mig29K. Most of the service issues are purely due to poor Product service from Russia, and unwillingness of IAF/HAL to create a technician knowledge base of Mig29 in India. I have seen aircrats grounded because of corroded wire terminals and the reluctance of service repairs due to inability to take ownership of work by IAF BRD.

Last news was the HAL will take over the UPG program, but to my knowledge that has been given a slip as I haven't seen anything that suggests that rest of he UPG program will be conducted in HAL.

Th more pertinent question do we have enough technicians for the Mig29UPG and Mig29K. Most of the service issues are purely due to poor Product service from Russia, and unwillingness of IAF/HAL to create a technician knowledge base of Mig29 in India. I have seen aircrats grounded because of corroded wire terminals and the reluctance of service repairs due to inability to take ownership of work by IAF BRD.

Last news was the HAL will take over the UPG program, but to my knowledge that has been given a slip as I haven't seen anything that suggests that rest of he UPG program will be conducted in HAL.

We have to get them flying ; absolutely ready for war

The government must be doing something ; Modi and company must have
done something by now -- that is why they are threatening Pakistan

Otherwise Forget about War 8-)

On another note
You know The Nineties was a COOL period ; we had No intention and capabilities for
war ; we were Just playing a holding ie defensive and waiting game

Since we were stronger than Pakistan ; they too could not start a war
They were just banging their heads by sending in terrorists and hoping that
we would drop dead like USSR

And above all we ie Indian people knew it and hence nobody asked for war

Kashmir was far more violent then

We have to get them flying ; absolutely ready for war

The government must be doing something ; Modi and company must have
done something by now -- that is why they are threatening Pakistan

Otherwise Forget about War 8-)

On another note
You know The Nineties was a COOL period ; we had No intention and capabilities for
war ; we were Just playing a holding ie defensive and waiting game

Since we were stronger than Pakistan ; they too could not start a war
They were just banging their heads by sending in terrorists and hoping that
we would drop dead like USSR

And above all we ie Indian people knew it and hence nobody asked for war

Kashmir was far more violent then
I care very little about war or confrontation. that is a different topic and my views are quite different from the most here on that.

What I do care about is the reputation of the Mig29 series of aircraft's, and the despicable service rate that it posts due the inabilities of Indians to take responsibility and Russians to share responsibility and the multiplication of the both the factors, turning an absolute beast of a platform into a topic of criticism and jokes.

I care very little about war or confrontation. that is a different topic and my views are quite different from the most here on that.

What I do care about is the reputation of the Mig29 series of aircraft's, and the despicable service rate that it posts due the inabilities of Indians to take responsibility and Russians to share responsibility and the multiplication of the both the factors, turning an absolute beast of a platform into a topic of criticism and jokes.

I believe that Situation is better now for the Simple reason that Mig 29 is
the most important Interceptor that we have ; The Air defence totally depends on Mig 29

Sukhois and Mirages are the aggressors ; Mig 21 is Point defence only

90% of the spares are made in India.

90% of the spares are made in India.
Is it now? I would love to see a reference for that, forget Mission comps or radar components, if you can show just the solenoids for Mig29 Landing gear are made in India, I would be quite happy.

Is it now? I would love to see a reference for that, forget Mission comps or radar components, if you can show just the solenoids for Mig29 Landing gear are made in India, I would be quite happy.

Haha, landing gear spares are probably still imported. The problem is some things can't be made in bulk for just 60 odd jets. AFAIK, even MKI gets most of the landing gear spares imported because the landing gear itself is imported.

Haha, landing gear spares are probably still imported. The problem is some things can't be made in bulk for just 60 odd jets. AFAIK, even MKI gets most of the landing gear spares imported because the landing gear itself is imported.
You are claiming 90% spares, please provide reference to prove it. And No you are absolutely wrong on SU30MKI landing gear, we had two parallel projects for indigenisation in P2 for undercarriage for SU30MKI in HAL back in 2003-04, I worked on indigenisation for Mig27 Nose Landing gear.
I know the proficiency of BRD hence I am extremely skeptical about your claim.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom