What's new

Indian Air Base at Pathankot under attack by gunmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of deploying young blood, It's foolish to deploy retired army personnel for guarding an airbase located in the border.

It's pathetic still the special forces not able to clear the base even after 2days.

if the base is 2000 acres it is going to take a long time unless you want to send thousands of troops
there is no magic wand in these kind of situations

Bro, no one is deglorifying anyone here. My intension was to point out the way the ops was handled. Army cantonment was near by. I just felt that they should have been called first.
Let me tell you armed forces has suffered only 1 causality in actual combat that to one Garunda commando

1 accidental death of col rank official

5 retired DCO guards although
They killed terrorist

:rofl: :rofl: at conspiracy theories. :lol:

Furthermore, Indian Punjab is also facing a throttle in struggle by the Sikh community against the Indian state. Alike the people of Kashmir, Sikh community has also been demanding for separation from India.

Mr. Laltopi, India is Khalistan. :agree: Sikh's land of pure.:bunny: :smitten:

Good this comedian has been released by Saudi Arabia. :lol:

On Topic: Waiting for DM's press conference on this operation.8-)

Let me tell you armed forces has suffered only 1 causality in actual combat that to one Garunda commando

1 accidental death of col rank official

5 retired DCO guards although
They killed terrorist

Please read my earlier arguments.

A good read and some very good points

Pathankot attack: Why most analyses of the strike are misguided and what India should do to end such insurgencies
Pathankot attack: Why most analyses of the strike are misguided and how India can end such insurgencies - Firstpost

By Vice Admiral Suresh Bangara (retired)

Excerpts

1. Observe the faces and body language of security personnel engaged in the action to eliminate the terrorists holed up inside the Pathankot Air Force Station as depicted in print and electronic media. It is surreal. Because what you see is perhaps the tertiary line of security; not even the secondary. Why, because we learnt a bitter lesson during the Mumbai attack – that half-baked, little informed and self appointed expert anchors and live commentators were driven by the desire to be closest and fastest to report.
  2. TRP was more important than eliminating the terrorists.
  3. Yet the greatest challenge was to stop the media from being judgemental and alarmist on every move of those tasked to neutralise the terrorists.
  4. The first role of the media is neither to spread fear and concoct doomsday scenarios nor to speculate on conspiracy theories during hostile action.
  5. Safety considerations also dictate that the cameras are well away from the scene of action.
  6. It will be some years before India can claim to have well equipped security personnel with the requisite gear, ordnance and training. Hence constantly comparing our reactions to those from USA or UK or Israel would lead to erroneous conclusions and hypothetical discussions.
  7. First, Commandos and the Special Protection Group are forces in limited numbers who are meant not to protect but to eliminate the threat once identified.
  8. Training and equipping these forces is an expensive proposition which limits their use to specific missions.
  9. We need to look at the security forces that are tasked to defend important installations. In the case of defence establishments the DSC is charged with security of access points and the periphery. It is common knowledge that they are limited by age, mobility and equipment. They were adequate to meet the old threat perceptions of occasional ingress of lightly armed anti-social elements or at best insurgents.
  10. Why can't the forces themselves undertake this task? The navy and the air force train their personnel to man ships and squadrons which carry complex war fighting machines. Sentry duties per se would add to the poor utilisation of highly trained manpower.
  11. In the case other important installations such as airports, harbours and industrial complexes, Central Police forces like the Central Industrial Security Force are used to defend them. Their training is often limited to suit the assigned role.
  12. The police forces are perhaps the worst prepared and yet may well be the first point of contact during a terrorist strike. Pot bellied, obese and poorly turned out cops with World War-discarded .303 rifles or worse with just batons or sticks are the typical cops that one encounters.

With the above ground realities, what can be done at the strategic, operational and tactical levels to raise our preparedness to combat terrorism?

1. At the strategic level, the prime minister has ensured that major players in global affairs and our South Asian neighbours in particular are sensitised to terrorist threats
  2. Terrorism has, hence, taken centre stage in discussions and articulation/joint statements.
  3. Isolating non state actors and their supporters is an important first step.
  4. At the operational level, creating and nurturing a strong central organisation which was initiated by the previous government after the Mumbai attack needs to be accorded the highest priority.
  5. A round-the-clock operations room to expeditiously share and disseminate information and intelligence on real time basis is an inevitable necessity for every state in India irrespective of its location.
  6. Finally at the tactical level, states have to modernise and reform their police forces to include the need to effectively react to a terrorist threat before special forces arrive on the scene.
  7. Recent reports suggest that every traffic policeman in Delhi would be armed to meet emerging threats. This is a good beginning.
  8. Communications, mobility and fire power are essential elements. Unity of command for operations would need to be made mandatory, so also single point briefings for the media.

No special committees or studies are needed to implement these suggestions. Only the will to fight terrorism is required to execute them. When the best things are not possible, the best can be made of those that are.

The author is a former Commander-in-Chief of the Southern Naval Command

LIVE: Why did Pathankot attackers want to know where Amritsar was?

The Ministry of Home Affairs asks the Punjab Government to submit report on Pathankot attack.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) team reaches the Indian Air Force base in Pathankot to begin its investigation of the three cases lodged in connection with the ongoing terror attack.
Punjab Superintendent of Police Salwinder Singh tells media that his timely information ahead of the attack on the IAF base in Pathankot alerted security agencies and prevented a major terror strike. The SP had claimed he was abducted by five heavily-armed men as he was returning after visiting a shrine on December 31 night. Senior police officers were allegedly wary of his claim on his abduction.
Reports say National Security Advisor Ajit Doval spoke to his Pakistani counterpart Nasser Khan Janjua this morning. Doval shared with Janjua the details of Pathankot attack, and a few evidences collected from terrorists.
Congress leader Anand Sharma addresses a press conference, says the attack on Pathankot air base is an attack on India. We salute the soldiers who lost their lives in fighting the terrorists, said Sharma.
Lashing out at the Centre in the wake of the Pathankot terror strike, the Shiv Sena says: "Seven of our soldiers get martyred in return of a cup of tea with Nawaz Sharif...The incident has proven that our borders are not safe and our internal security is in shambles. With the lives of six terrorists, Pakistan has managed to finish India's self-respect."
Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari warns that India would give a befitting reply to its neighbour if it continued to perpetrate Pathankot-like terrorist attacks.

Rajesh Verma, the friend of Punjab Superintendent of Police (SP) Salwinder Singh, tells CNN-IBN that he was behind the wheel when terrorists stopped them. “They asked me how far Amritsar was and were talking to their Commander,” added Verma.
A day after dubbing the Prime Minister as 'Mian Modi', former Union minister Manish Tewari today says:
LIVE: Why did Pathankot attackers want to know where Amritsar was? | Zee News

An update on GOI actions
  1. After the attack Pathankot Air base, India wants another round of National Security Advisor talks ahead of Foreign Secretary-level talks with the neighbouring country
  2. India has said that Foreign Secretary-level talks will happen only after Pakistan takes action against the perpetrators involved in the Pathankot attack. Foreign Secretary-level talks are scheduled to be held on January 14-15 in Islamabad
  3. Earlier in the day, NSA Ajit Doval spoke to his Pakistani counterpart retired army general Nasser Khan Janjua and apprised him of India's concerns.
  4. India has shared a dossier with Pakistan which contains proofs of terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed's involvement in the attack. According to sources, one set of evidence shared with Pakistan includes call records from Bahawalpur.
  5. The dossier also includes the locations and addresses from where the calls originated. The handlers have been identified as Ashfaq Ahmad, Hafiz Abdul Shakur and Kasim Jaan.
  6. Pak NSA has assured a fair investigation and actions. The modalities of NSA meet pre-ponement followed by Foreign Secretary talks are being worked at.
  7. Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar to leave for #Pathankot at 1PM, will be accompanied by IAF Chief Arup Raha and Army Chief Dalbir Singh
Multiple sources of news channels and twitter accounts of news channel

Press Conference of NIA DG Sharad Kumar

ANI ‏@ANI_news 1m1 minute ago
We will provide them evidence and expect cooperation from them (Pakistan): NIA DG Sharad Kumar #PathankotAttack

ANI ‏@ANI_news 7m7 minutes ago
The terrorists were from Pakistan, this can be said on basis of phone calls that were made: NIA DG Sharad Kumar

CX8OQ23UwAAvzFj.png

ANI ‏@ANI_news 8m8 minutes ago
Three FIRs have been lodged so far: Sharad Kumar (NIA, DG) #PathankotAttack

Abducted Driver speaks (the one with Sp who was kidnapped and released by terrorists)

ANI ‏@ANI_news 43s43 seconds ago
They were four persons in army fatigues. I was driving the car when they stopped us-Rajesh Verma (who was abducted)

CX8RpHcUsAAN4Nq.png

Four days and the base is still not cleared, what are your forces doing anyway? Must be some kind of a record I presume.

An update on GOI actions
  1. After the attack Pathankot Air base, India wants another round of National Security Advisor talks ahead of Foreign Secretary-level talks with the neighbouring country
  2. India has said that Foreign Secretary-level talks will happen only after Pakistan takes action against the perpetrators involved in the Pathankot attack. Foreign Secretary-level talks are scheduled to be held on January 14-15 in Islamabad
  3. Earlier in the day, NSA Ajit Doval spoke to his Pakistani counterpart retired army general Nasser Khan Janjua and apprised him of India's concerns.
  4. India has shared a dossier with Pakistan which contains proofs of terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed's involvement in the attack. According to sources, one set of evidence shared with Pakistan includes call records from Bahawalpur.
  5. The dossier also includes the locations and addresses from where the calls originated. The handlers have been identified as Ashfaq Ahmad, Hafiz Abdul Shakur and Kasim Jaan.
  6. Pak NSA has assured a fair investigation and actions. The modalities of NSA meet pre-ponement followed by Foreign Secretary talks are being worked at.
  7. Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar to leave for #Pathankot at 1PM, will be accompanied by IAF Chief Arup Raha and Army Chief Dalbir Singh
Multiple sources of news channels and twitter accounts of news channel

Press Conference of NIA DG Sharad Kumar

ANI ‏@ANI_news 1m1 minute ago
We will provide them evidence and expect cooperation from them (Pakistan): NIA DG Sharad Kumar #PathankotAttack

The terrorists were from Pakistan, this can be said on basis of phone calls that were made: NIA DG Sharad Kumar

CX8OQ23UwAAvzFj.png

Three FIRs have been lodged so far: Sharad Kumar (NIA, DG) #PathankotAttack

Abducted Driver speaks (the one with Sp who was kidnapped and released by terrorists)

ANI ‏@ANI_news 43s43 seconds ago
They were four persons in army fatigues. I was driving the car when they stopped us-Rajesh Verma (who was abducted)

CX8RpHcUsAAN4Nq.png

So this is how it worked. When "handlers" In Pakistan were talking to their terrorist supporters in India, they first introduced themselves as "Hay its Hafiz Abdul Shakur speaking..I am giving out my full name just to give you confidence that you've dialled the right number" and not just him, every other member under question spoke his full name, first and then last name just to be sure because if they had not revealed their full name, terrorists must not had satisfaction that they were getting tip from the right person. Well sounds logical enough.

By the way, if I was investigation this terrorism incident, I would give zero name to press because it is a matter of utmost important and if "Hafiz Abul Shakoor" was involved, I would want him to be arrested and not print his name in paper so he would disappear.

Just logical and class 5 sept that any inspector working on the case would've taken.

Last edited:
Four days and the base is still not cleared, what are your forces doing anyway? Must be some kind of a record I presume.

Maybe they are looking for detergent, toothpaste, pan masala wrappers etc. ?

The driver further says
ANI ‏@ANI_news
I was beaten up by them, they slit my throat and stuffed some napkins in my mouth-Rajesh Verma (who was abducted) #PathankotAttack

ANI ‏@ANI_news 2m2 minutes ago
They kept on addressing someone as "Commander Sahab" & were continuously informing their whereabouts to the person-Rajesh Verma

The men kept on saying "we will not harm you, we will let you go"-Rajesh Verma (who was abducted) #PathankotAttack

CX8S3wUUkAAUoM5.png

ANI ‏@ANI_news 4m4 minutes ago
They tied us and took our mobile phones, also asked my mobile code-Rajesh Verma (who was abducted)

CX8SdoDUkAAyMdG.png

So this is how it worked. When "handlers" In Pakistan were talking to their terrorist supporters in India, they first introduced themselves as "Hay its Hafiz Abdul Shakur speaking..I am giving out my full name just to give you confidence that you've dialled the right number" and not just him, every other member under question spoke his full name, first and then last name just to be sure because if they had not revealed their full name, terrorists must not had satisfaction that they were getting tip from the right person. Well sounds logical enough.

Sorry Sir, but dont know what the message was or call record shows.. So unable to comment on that.. Since its handed over to NSA Janjua by NSA Doval i feel we should let them handle this.. We can only speculate but then it wont add to any proper conclusion as we dont have any details of irrefutable nature of what the evidence is in those call records.. or transcripts.

Sir, There is a apprehension that second team (besides the first car team) is more than 2 in numbers.. The 2 are neutralized ydy and combing going on to ascertain with confidence that no one has either escaped or hiding.. Thats why Ops is not called off

Last edited:
The driver further says

They kept on addressing someone as "Commander Sahab" & were continuously informing their whereabouts to the person-Rajesh Verma

The men kept on saying "we will not harm you, we will let you go"-Rajesh Verma (who was abducted) #PathankotAttack

CX8S3wUUkAAUoM5.png

ANI ‏@ANI_news 4m4 minutes ago
They tied us and took our mobile phones, also asked my mobile code-Rajesh Verma (who was abducted)

CX8SdoDUkAAyMdG.png

Sorry Sir, but dont know what the message was or call record shows.. So unable to comment on that.. Since its handed over to NSA Janjua by NSA Doval i feel we should let them handle this.. We can only speculate but then it wont add to any proper conclusion as we dont have any details of irrefutable nature of what the evidence is in those call records.. or transcripts.

I do not have call record, fair enough but I do have sense and sensibility and ability to analyse these "proofs". If I was an inspector of first grade, I would hide these names from the media and try to arrest the culprit in a clandestine operation.

Now if "Hafiz Abdul Shakur" has actually spoken his full name on the record, as the news claim, it is twice stupid of Indian intelligentsia to give out these names in the press so they would flee expecting incoming action.

I am just questioning how things work elsewhere and how things are working in India. With all my sympathies for the victims, I see Indians doing everything irrational. Just wondering why.

Maybe they are looking for detergent, toothpaste, pan masala wrappers etc. ?

No sir so far as i said to @Dazzler the second team having only 2 members is not in sync with normal ops so they are looking to be doubly sure that not another 1 or 2 are hiding or has escaped.. Thus combing going on..

I do not have call record, fair enough but I do have sense and sensibility and ability to analyse these "proofs". If I was an inspector of first grade, I would hide these names from the media and try to arrest the culprit in a clandestine operation.

Now if "Hafiz Abdul Shakur" has actually spoken his full name on the record, as the news claim, it is twice stupid of Indian intelligentsia to give out these names in the press so they would flee expecting incoming action.

I am just questioning how things work elsewhere and how things are working in India.

I agree with that.. names should have been never disclosed.. it was suppose to be within the evidence and cooperation between respective governments..

Media is irresponsible and so are the sources who had disclosed and leaked this information.. . Sincerely such type of actions only spoil everything including proper scope of investigations..

+++++++++++++++++
ANI ‏@ANI_news 3m3 minutes ago
I didn't move for 5-7 min and made sure nobody was around. I untied myself-Rajesh Verma #PathankotAttack

I was beaten up by them, they slit my throat and stuffed some napkins in my mouth-Rajesh Verma (who was abducted) #PathankotAttack

@Parul : See what driver is saying- Throat slit, mouth stuffed, hands tied.. pretended to be dead and untied himself.. and ran away. Is this practically possible for someone whose throat is slit? Fear and loss of blood is unimportant and ability to untie and running is possible?

@Abingdonboy @Levina @ranjeet @graphican @MaarKhoor
Can you people believe such bravery? Is it possible for a normal civilian to display such calmness and rational approach under such conditions?

Dont know why his version i feel is either over the top to justify how he escaped or why the terrorists did nt kill..
Do you think terrorists were not trained properly that they missed slitting throats?

Can you people believe such bravery? Is it possible for a normal civilian to display such calmness and rational approach under such conditions?

Dont know why his version i feel is either over the top to justify how he escaped or why the terrorists did nt kill..
Do you think terrorists were not trained properly that they missed slitting throats?
I already suspecting SP's role, local smugglers and many things if terrorists want to hurt Indian then why they spare SP's life ? a big question he should be interrogated thoroughly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom