What's new

Indian actor and IPL Team owner Shah Rukh Khan bats for Pakistan

it's shame no pakistani players chosen, Im not going to watch IPL.

lovely message, don't give a damn about cricket or player selection, or what so ever the issue was, but he simply was reaching the hearts.

My respects for SRK, every word of his in this regards is more precious then diamonds.

adios

Sensible guy who understands the importance of peace between indo-pak.

I think the proverbial bhanda phooting we were expecting is now coming forth. The official Indian line that "No franchise wanted Pakistani players" is going out the window due to two known facts:

1. No Pakistani players name can come on the auction list till one of the 8 teams requests for them
2. Why the heck is SRK calling the whole thing distasteful and political if the franchises were acting all on their own to bail from the Pakistani selection

I think overall India will end up hurting its image as a cricketing nation with this call.

But you got to give credit to SRK as well beacause it takes some greatness to take the blame on.

Here is more:

Shetty, Zinta 'threatened into snub'

Bollywood stars Shilpa Shetty and Preity Zinta have added a new twist to the IPL affair by claiming that they were threatened into snubbing Pakistani cricketers at the auction.

According to a report by an Australian publication ‘The Age’, Shetty told India’s ‘Mid-Day’ that threats were made against her team and any subsequent Pakistan cricketer picked by her franchise.

“You must look at it pragmatically and see that we have had these people who are constantly threatening,” Rajasthan co-owner Shetty told Indian publication Mid-Day. “It's not something we hold against the Pakistani players.

“We completely understand the situation but as franchise owners are we willing to take that risk? If something happens to the Pakistani players, the onus lies on us and who is going to take responsibility for a situation like that?

“When we said 'availability', we wanted complete assurance that those players would be available in the country and that we were going to be able to provide security for them,” she added.

Preity Zinta, co-owner of Kings XI Punjab, reportedly told an Indian-language TV channel: “We would have loved to have the T20 world champions in our teams to bring real joy to the extravaganza but what can we do if we have certain threats about not [only] our own safety but the safety of the Pakistani players too, with no official quarter assuring us of foolproof security of players during the tournament?”

The report comes just as Darren Berry, former Australia first-class cricketer and a member of the Rajasthan Royals coaching staff, revealed that teenage Pakistani batsman Umar Akmal was the Royals top pick for this season’s IPL auction and was surprised at the omission. He wrote:

“After spending the past two weeks in India preparing for the Indian Premier League in March, I am staggered at the recent treatment of the Pakistan players. I agree with Shahid Afridi that he and his countrymen were humiliated in the IPL auction in Mumbai last week. …I do not have all the information - and possibly never will as this was a very delicate issue played out behind the scenes. However, I do know - due to my coaching role with the Rajasthan Royals - that a few weeks ago Umar Akmal was No. 1 priority on the Royals' shopping list. All of a sudden he was not available. As the auction unfolded live on TV in India, it became evident that it wasn't just Umar Akmal who was in the no-go zone, but all of the Pakistan players. The press in India asked plenty of questions but got few straight answers.”

For full reports click on the links below:
Threats blamed for IPL Pak snub
Paks humiliated as IPL teams run scared

DAWN.COM | Cricket | Shetty, Zinta 'threatened into snub'

Crocodile tears, why did he did not bid for any Pak players then?
Guess he also had 5 of them in past.

My personal opinion IPL did not handled this well and should apologize to the Pakistani cricketers for the same. I understand that owners did not want to put money on players which can become unavailable in case of any issue, but this should be communicated to IPL and they should have communicated to PAK players.

I feel sorry they way it was handled was not good. My personal apologies to Pakistani player for this.

My view has always been that this thing turned into a nasty mess. Closet minded bigots hijacked an event in sports which I always look forward to enjoying. If anybody claims that this event will not be affected by the exclusion of some of the Pakistani greats (Afridi etc) then they clearly do not follow cricket. SRK took the words right out of my mouth. Cricket in India needs a wake up call and the wounds with the Pakistani players need to be mended or else the IPL will become just another doubtful event

SRK is the man, and his behavior to Pakistanis is awesome not regarding cricket only...

he is 100% right in saying to the youngsters "screw the politics of indo pak , i have more respect for him now.

guys i think wat happened was in a bad taste nobody has any right to insult anybody..................but try to think it from commercial pov of biznessmen then probably due to minimization of risk rgrdin merchendise n tickt sales u ill understand the whole thing................

Back
Top Bottom