What's new

India unveils $30 laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Pankaj, welcome to the forum.
Have a nice time and debate interact peacefully and sensibly.
cheers

Pls post these messages as PM..it becomes hell to go thru all the lengthy posts reading pvt messages..pls make this forum clean & meaning full.. THX

I dont expect a top notch build quality in this one in regards to the competitors like netbooks and all. But the cost factor is good enough reason for me to buy it as a backup.

Its nice to have such a small thing which we can carry around freely and if the backup power is also good it can be used on times of load-shedding too in places where there is that issue.
you know what i have this radical idea that there should be some duty free shops or a mall at border between India & Pakistan where such products will be available so that people can have access to cheap products from either side, this would be great for CBM between both govt's & will enhance people to people interaction.

its got touch screen dear..but it doesn't have dvd drive for u to watch movies..however u can copy movies to flash drives & watch.
who needs DVD's i watch them online :) . so i think this device is still perfect for its price

What's the Name of this Device.

I think its wrong advertising to call it a laptop.

But A tablet with those specks for Just 1500 or $30.

I spend more at the supermarket , or Snacks with my friends.
These can be provided to many government schools , giving internet access to people who never even saw a PC. And the solar panels for Charging a Brilliant.

What OS does this Device use ?

If it has windows or linux , then i can very easily see plugging a keyboard into the USB slot and using it as a net book.

you know what i have this radical idea that there should be some duty free shops or a mall at border between India & Pakistan where such products will be available so that people can have access to cheap products from either side, this would be great for CBM between both govt's & will enhance people to people interaction.

I agree with you totally..

I am expecting a Chinese version which is as cheap like this one and will be available there and here as well.

competition increases quality. so its a great move from India.

If it helps nothing then I will buy it for reading ebooks.... Sony's ebook reader is too costly..

These can be provided to many government schools , giving internet access to people who never even saw a PC. And the solar panels for Charging a Brilliant.

If it has windows or linux , then i can very easily see plugging a keyboard into the USB slot and using it as a net book.

HRD Ministry Launches $35 Laptop – Will It Work? | WATBlog.com - Web, Advertising and Technology Blog in India

I agree with you totally..

I am expecting a Chinese version which is as cheap like this one and will be available there and here as well.

competition increases quality. so its a great move from India.

If UNESCO takes up as a noble cause and ask Chineese to mass produce it--the costs will come down even further--. even the GOI subsidy can be used to give it totally free--

"you know what i have this radical idea that there should be some duty free shops or a mall at border between India & Pakistan where such products will be available so that people can have access to cheap products from either side, this would be great for CBM between both govt's & will enhance people to people interaction. "

@ Peregrine
GREAT IDEA !
Sadly, i don't see it happening soon. Slightly off-topic, there is another thread on the landmark sale of bikes in Pakistan. Going through that, it is clear that there are many bike-lovers in Pakistan whose aspirations for both quality and variety remains un-fulfilled. Now with your plan; imagine somebody driving home to Lahore or Islamabad on a spanking-new bike with a new computer (e.g.) in his saddle bag. Wish that can happen.
Cheers !!

It has Linux operative system, with multimedia content viewer and other computing capabilities such as Open Office, SciLab, etc. Its media player is capable of playing streamed as well as stored media files. And it is wi-fi enabled having remote device management capability and solar panel.

HRD unveils Rs1,500 laptop tailormade for students - dnaindia.com

Replacing Linux with earlier versions of windows would be a nice option.

If its able to play effortlessly blue ray rips of resolution of atleast 480p would be brilliant.

It can be an alternative to the basic small screens we use inside cars which is infact costlier than this one.

But the price tag of 1500/ is still confusing me.

I need to know the market price as this price can very well be the price quote of HRD for the educational schemes.

@AbuSalam..Taiwan is goin to produce this tablet.

Pls post these messages as PM..it becomes hell to go thru all the lengthy posts reading pvt messages..pls make this forum clean & meaning full.. THX

It was a mistake which was duly edited and posted on the relavant thread and it was not addressed to you either.

who needs DVD's i watch them online :) . so i think this device is still perfect for its price

No hard feelings,

You know why there are millions and millions of poor around the world?
You might be one of the reason behind them.I interpret your statement in such a way that you watch movies online for free aka piracy,which in return is a loss to the producer,means a loss of income in tax to the gov.means a less spending on the poor.

I am not boasting, but I rather go buy DVD and watch or forget watching it.

If it has windows , then i can very easily see plugging a keyboard into the USB slot and using it as a net book.

I agree.they might have called it as an gadget for the poor aka GFP.
It much short of a true laptop and dont come anywhere near the performance of a touchpad style netbook.
But,since the motivation is different and is not commercial for profit making,I myself take watever name they throw it.

Couple of years back,a news which came out that CSIR is undertaking a project for HRD ministry-we had no clue about it.Now that every thing is open that CSIR-IIT due came out with yet another meter guage to make a permanant stamp on that face of India as a land of poor mans palaki.

Since it uses an open source linux, it says it all-Cost saving measures.
ministry is targeting atleast 2 crore pieces which is 20 million pieces.thats a huge number to start with while pissing off the tycoons in the same spectrum.

No hard feelings,

You know why there are millions and millions of poor around the world?
You might be one of the reason behind them.I interpret your statement in such a way that you watch movies online for free aka piracy,which in return is a loss to the producer,means a loss of income in tax to the gov.means a less spending on the poor.

Helloooooooooooo..... we are not discussing piracy here.

Even i watch/ download movies from net and infact most of us do.

Its completly offtopic to bring this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom