What's new

India unveils $30 laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Human Resource Development ,India unveils a Laptop with a price tag of $30 dollars to boost educational system by providing it to students all over the country.

With minimalistic features which includes

Internet browsers
PDF reader
Open Office
Touchscreen
Remote device management capability
Multimedia input-output interface option

It is not a replacement for gaming PCs but an effort to help in aiding education.
2 GB RAM memory, wi-fi connectivity, USB port and powered by a 2-watt system to suit poor power supply areas is indeed a nice configuration on such a small price.

What amazed me are the comments on this thread which included distinguishable members.

Has everybody lost the ability of appreciation or every thought process involves around hatred only??

Cant help laughing.

i have the food worth 30 dollars for just 4-5 days :woot:

Starve for 5 days and eat this laptop instead.

i think the product is like this

502_1.jpg

does that radio work??

lol it looks nice but i know for a facts it going to be crappy and hobo thangs soo i would not buy it rather just keep my money

Buy it if u are enrolling for schools here.. Its not for gaming or for computer enthusiasts but for students.

awwwww how cute give kids a crappy laptop while pandup jee spends billion upon billion IN DEFENCE SPENDINGS on the bad enemies lol reminds me of MOTHER INDIA

:woot: Invention failure. Why would they not run Pentium 4? Pakistan will ship them worldwide, even for poor students in India. Just for $30, shipping is free.:rofl:

Well it looks similar to something like this.

sean_s_magic_slate-49366.gif

:rolleyes:

Indians seriously need to copy and save these great quotes, it can be used later to describe things that are cheap.
HINT:( Its applicable to defense related matters too)

With wifi its a good buy as a backup thing. Hope it has a very good battery life so that it can be used for basic browsing like pdf or can be used just as another window for chatting.

I am waiting for that guy who comes and say its not indigenous cause open office is not indian, pdf reader is not indian,internet browser is not Indian etc etc..

The forum has transformed from a debating , interacting platform to a truly laughable thing due to degradation of the quality of posts.

Last edited:
Well after a long discussion in this one page is sure.. No body in earth initially gave importance to Chandryaan.. look what we have done for them.. That thing searched water in the Moon which even NASA could not find it earlier with so many attempts..

India's invention is always work on 2 sides.. one for Advanced computing (Not to forget where we have developed PARAM as super computer) and second for cost-effective (say Cheap if you like it)..

This lappy is not having great functionality but very well teach about office, spreadsheets, internet and programming language... isn't it great with 1500INR..

We , Indians, don't need appreciation from other's, we do what we like to do and yes focus on upliftment of our fellow citizen in evry field.. whether 1000$ car, million $'s PSLV launch, Billion $'s defence or 35$'s laptop.. we are happy with what we are..

Well after a long discussion in this one page is sure.. No body in earth initially gave importance to Chandryaan.. look what we have done for them.. That thing searched water in the Moon which even NASA could not find it earlier with so many attempts..

India's invention is always work on 2 sides.. one for Advanced computing (Not to forget where we have developed PARAM as super computer) and second for cost-effective (say Cheap if you like it)..

This lappy is not having great functionality but very well teach about office, spreadsheets, internet and programming language... isn't it great with 1500INR..

We , Indians, don't need appreciation from other's, we do what we like to do and yes focus on upliftment of our fellow citizen in evry field.. whether 1000$ car, million $'s PSLV launch, Billion $'s defence or 35$'s laptop.. we are happy with what we are..
What the hell is wrong with my pak brothers here ? r they really Pakistani's ? i've met a lot Pakistani's in my life, all r nice people,I never had any incident abt them being unfriendly or cold--while waiting for the ordered food--i had a few strangers sitting across a table in a Pakistani resturant in naif in Dubai offering me food..they knew am an India--I gracefully refused--but that incident made me more humane--

tata nano failed project now this stupidity from low bidget indians :rofl::rofl:

^^^
Tata Nano: 200,000 Orders and a Waiting List Through 2011

This shuts up your mouth.Atleast educate yourself before trolling.No one on this planet call that as a failed project unless-no words

Finally realising his dream project, Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Kapil Sibal on Thursday launched a $35 computing device that will be made available to ‘learners’ right from primary schools to universities. Aiming at bringing down the price to $10, the Ministry has also begun discussions with global manufacturers to start mass production of arguably the world’s cheapest laptop.

“This is part of the national initiative to take forward inclusive education{which means,it is targeted at poor who cant afford IMAC/Mac book or Alien-ware type luxury items}. The solutions for tomorrow will emerge from India,” said Sibal.

Looking as stylish as a large i-phone, this $35 “low-cost computing-cum-access device” is a 5/7/9 inch touchscreen gadget packed with internet browsers, PDF reader, video conferencing facilities, open office, sci-lab, media player, remote device management capability, multimedia input-output interface option, and multiple content viewer.
The Linux based device will also have provisions for running on solar power besides the usual battery- operated systems. The Indian Express had first reported that the ministry was set to launch the product.

While the device developed by the HRD Ministry’s teams will come with a smaller memory and no hard disk, the ministry said it would be sufficient for a student’s needs.{it means the device is not meant for high end activities ,but for basic stuff which a grade 7 onwards student use for} The Rs 1,500/$35 computing device is expected to first hit higher education institutions — colleges and varsities starting 2011 — but the government could subsidise 50 per cent of this cost, bringing down the price.

:woot: Invention failure. Why would they not run Pentium 4? Pakistan will ship them worldwide, even for poor students in India. Just for $30, shipping is free.:rofl:

Maybe you should first realise that pentium 4 is not an OS.It is a micro processor.

If pakistan is that capable of bringing out stuff, then pull out an evidence apart from trolling being an administrator.This is uncalled for a person of your scale.

No wonder why Karachi stock exchange is still waiting for its second consignment of computers from Chinese manufacturers.

^^^
Tata Nano: 200,000 Orders and a Waiting List Through 2011

This shuts up your mouth.Atleast educate yourself before trolling.No one on this planet call that as a failed project unless-no words

what about enquirers from exporters ??? after all it complies well with all international emission standards--

Yes sir its CRAP, because it is made in india, so for PATRIOTIC pakistan it will always be a CRAP. Am happy for poor children of India, they would get this CRAP.

To indians. Cut the CRAP.
Do we need to satisfy others when its price tag and motive behind it speaks for itself.

Your success rate could be measured by your enemies cry rate over it.
I sincierely second this statement.This is not a commercial venture like Nano.

This is for a cause,for an upliftment.

what makes me wonder is that,people who keep buying those very netbooks for a min of $300 getting the same services albit with an extra memory aka hard drive and a high performance processor.Maybe I love to look at the facial guestures of those using the Acer netbooks with 30GB solid state HDD and same specifications (albit perfomance wise distinct) and paid $399 :azn:

I sincierely second this statement.This is not a commercial venture like Nano.

This is for a cause,for an upliftment.

what makes me wonder is that,people who keep buying those very netbooks for a min of $300 getting the same services albit with an extra memory aka hard drive and a high performance processor.Maybe I love to look at the facial guestures of those using the Acer netbooks with 30GB solid state HDD and same specifications (albit perfomance wise distinct) and paid $399 :azn:

When i said about its price tag, what i meant was that its affordable to poor children. So in way it helps for UPLIFTMENT.
Its now your time to go into INTRODUCTION SECTION:azn:

i would like to buy one for my nephew :)

I wish this is available sooner in market. with 2 GB RAM and low price tag it can be a perfect gift for your nephew.

I wish this is available sooner in market. with 2 GB RAM and low price tag it can be a perfect gift for your nephew.
well if it has good screen then i would love to get it for myself as well, as i think it would be perfect for movies

well if it has good screen then i would love to get it for myself as well, as i think it would be perfect for movies

I dont expect a top notch build quality in this one in regards to the competitors like netbooks and all. But the cost factor is good enough reason for me to buy it as a backup.

Its nice to have such a small thing which we can carry around freely and if the backup power is also good it can be used on times of load-shedding too in places where there is that issue.

its got touch screen dear..but it doesn't have dvd drive for u to watch movies..however u can copy movies to flash drives & watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom