What's new

India tops U.S. green card by citizenship country list in 2013

What is the reason Indians are flooding the USA ?

Opportunities to use talent and skill, rather than cleaning your superior's shoes and grinding your @$$ in the office till late nights with no compensation or increase in salary, office politics, negative level of competition and an attitude problem in seniors.

That's why the best minds and those who like freer work environment leave the country.

I hardly come across Chinese in USA. I am on the verge of submitting my papers on EB1.

Actually, there are more Chinese students than Indian students studying in USA right now. Both my wife and I got PhDs from a top US university. From my personal experiences, I think Indian students are more concentrated on Engieering majors than Chinese students (my wife majors in biological sciences, lots of both Chinese and Indian students). However, for some research topics that are more kinda basic (e.g., geology, hydrology, meteorology, etc), I have seen much more Chinese students (BTW, I am a hydrologist as you can see from my nickname). I do not know the reason though for my experiences.

Just FYI, the above numbers are for Employment based green cards only.

No family or investor green cards.

To put that in perspective, Indians are highest in getting H1's that get transferred to Green cards. So its only logical Indians get the lions share of Employment green cards.

Other countries like China would be more investment green cards is my guess, Chines are more inclined towards businesses than salaried employment(7-11, Chinese restaurants etc.)

Also Pakistanis and other countries that have an easier route for family based visas should logically be having more of those Green card applications.

On the green card topic, I coulda easily gotten NZ green card (which I think is better than US green card, particularly if you get the indefinite returning visa), or US one if I had chosen to stay in US after my graduation), but my wife and I decided to go back to China. There were many reasons, one of which was that the Chinese institutes could provide higher startup funding than US counterparts. Right now, there is a trend, at least in academia, that Chinese scholars are going back to China for either permanent or joint positions. I do not know how many, but I have noticed quite a lot from people I know. I also discussed this interesting trend with my Indian colleagues both in the States and NZ, as a similar trend has not been observed in India. The most obivious reason was the differences in the incentives provided by the government and in the attitudes towards attracting overseas talents. Of course, there are other reasons.

Average salary of Pakistanis is higher than Indians average salary. How? Pakistani are lower in number.

On the green card topic, I coulda easily gotten NZ green card (which I think is better than US green card, particularly if you get the indefinite returning visa), or US one if I had chosen to stay in US after my graduation), but my wife and I decided to go back to China. There were many reasons, one of which was that the Chinese institutes could provide higher startup funding than US counterparts. Right now, there is a trend, at least in academia, that Chinese scholars are going back to China for either permanent or joint positions. I do not know how many, but I have noticed quite a lot from people I know. I also discussed this interesting trend with my Indian colleagues both in the States and NZ, as a similar trend has not been observed in India. The most obivious reason was the differences in the incentives provided by the government and in the attitudes towards attracting overseas talents. Of course, there are other reasons.

You should not rely on just your meager observations-
NRI techies head back home - The Times of India

South Indian NRI docs head home | Business Standard

Average salary of Pakistanis is higher than Indians average salary. How? Pakistani are lower in number.

Average salary of Pakistanis applying for an Employment based GC is higher, and is a way smaller subset prone to a few extreme scores easily influencing the mean value.

As always, the devil is in the details...

sorry, but this observation was made by me and my Indian colleagues, and many others. The other reason is probably I have stayed too long in academia, in which china is obviously doing better at attracting overseas scholars. I think both Indian and Chinese governments should do their best to attract overseas scholars. Nothing more. I am sorry if you feel offended.

^^No offense taken, but your sample size for observation and extrapolating it to a much larger population is; wrong.

Staying in academia, basics my dear man, basics!

India is losing its best talent to western countries.

Well there are many Indian IT professionals in USA who have started their own small IT firms/businesses,
such as IT training and consultation,
and most of their offshore business is set up in India, in cities like Bangalore and Hyderabad
so I don't really view it as losing of talent as such...

Haha. Not for the sake of arguing with you, overseas scholars are playing bigger roles in improving Chinese universities research quality, at least boosting the rankings. In terms of sample size, I would not agree with your conclusions thoug, at least in academia. Again not to argue here, Chinese governments' programs have been more effective attracting overseas scholars, particularly in basic researches. Somtimes we can not make big bucks by doing basic reaserch. Governments' support is therefore crucial here. This is the reason why my observation probably would not be vastly wrong. In some of my Indian colleagues' opinion, the Indian governments probably should also have more systematic programs to attract indian best overseas minds. This probably would be good for India to progress I guess.

^^ So what was your sample size??

Your recommendations are sensible though.

Haha, you are giving me some scientific tasks. At least a good portion of big Chinese names in my field and fields that are related (climate change studies, etc), Including tenured full professors. They either returned or having joint appointments. I think the reason is that they could have more research money right now in china. sorry, I could not give you a specific number, since I am not from bureau os census:). For the full professors I know of in my field, i think all of them at least have some sort of appointments in china. Again in basic research, funding from the government is essential. Chinese governments are willing to pour a lot of money into basic research right now. Why not going back, particurlaly for young scientists, which is very true right now. I think my observation can be applied to other research fields as well. But anyway I do not want to go to details about this. But if you are really interested in, you could go to chinese science academy's websites . and find out the percentage of the faculties with overseas backgrounds.

Just a quick search /China+attracting+global+talent%3A+central+and+local+initiatives For the 100-talents program, for instance, each candidate is awarded half million $. I do not know the exact number, but it has been well above 2000 candidates. There are several other central governmnent programs like this. In most of top universities, there are university level programs right now as well as at provincial and city levels. for top univerties, an overseas phd degree and postdoc sometime is a minimum
must in china right now to get in. Sad, but true. Anyway, I hope I answered your question.

Pakistanis has average salary greater than Indians even they are large in quantity........................"This is what we say, we don't believe in qty, but on quality."...............:azn:

Foolish man, Indians are on the top of the bunch when it comes to education and income in US.
Pakistani's are near the bottom.

All this despite Indians being multiple times Pakistani's in US.

Back
Top Bottom