What's new

India to vote against Sri Lanka in UNHRC

What would the US resolutions and the successful passage of it throughthe UNHRC entail?

would there be any actions or sanctions brought on Lanka if it goes through? war crimes and genocide are serious offenses how will it affect Lanka?

It depends on the content in the resolution. Resolution is not about war crimes or genocide. There are no charges against Lanka for war crimes.

It depends on the content in the resolution. Resolution is not about war crimes or genocide. There are no charges against Lanka for war crimes.

Then what is it? HR violations? anyone has the text of the resolution?

read my reply to sky line

Nah mate..I myself is from a minority community..but i consider myself a Sri Lankan first..The country is not perfect far from it just like hundreds of other post colonies..We have a long way to go as a civilised multi ethnic plural socierty..But all we want it EQUAL rights not special rights just because some third class rulers lost there influence and political importance post independence

B] you disenfranchised the tamils, took away their votes, segregated them from public life and expected what? peace and tranquility. [/B].

The disenfranchised Tamils are the Tamils who were born in India but brought here by British to work as labour. SL disenfrachised them simply because they were not Lankans. But later SL gave them citizenship here and solved the matter. They are a different lot and were with the SL gov all through out.
where have SL taken away SL tamils vote?
where were they segregated frompublic life?
When u start war, u lose peace and tranquility. You cant have both.

If you are going to talk abt something, get some basic education, otherwise U would look stupid.:D

B] We enfranchised EVERYONE, respected everyone's culture, have dozens of official languages and are stronger than ever. Go figure[/B].
India is an amalgamations of several countries unlike SL. Nice to hear all u are inclusive, bt our experience with u have been different. Tamil culture thrive in SL, and Tamil is an official language unlike in India. Anyway if u believe you can win Indian Tamils heart by saying them, gud luck to u. :)

No I believe that would be the same as last one bit more binding

The content of the resolution will more or less will be on the LLRC and the govt failure on it's implementation and long term reconcilliation efforts..And on a UN mechanism to monitor it's progress..There will be nothing on these concocted war crimes..Except by the usual suspects at every Geneva session

What the hell are you on about..You just cant make general statements and make people to believe it's true..For the millionth time can all of you screaming discrimination pls for fark sake emphasise it with proven facts without going on Tamil media propaganda?? When were the Tamils disenfranchised??

I guessed he meant the Up country tamils, Half knowledge! :)

The content of the resolution will more or less will be on the LLRC and the govt failure on it's implementation and long term reconcilliation efforts..And on a UN mechanism to monitor it's progress..There will be nothing on these concocted war crimes..Except by the usual suspects at every Geneva session

But wasn't the earlier one diluted by India in its effect? this time around the US is bringing it in, I think it might vary from the previous one.

Nah mate..I myself is from a minority community..but i consider myself a Sri Lankan first..The country is not perfect far from it just like hundreds of other post colonies..We have a long way to go as a civilised multi ethnic plural socierty..But all we want it EQUAL rights not special rights just because some third class rulers lost there influence and political importance post independence

I am a sinhalese and I believe power devolution is needed. This is the case machan. post independance, it is natural for Tamils to fear that a larger sinhala culture and language in SL with numerical supiriotity would overwhelm their culture and heritage. That is why many Tamil leaders made demands but sinhala leaders (who had never been for SL) did things that make Tamils feel more vulnerable. It is clear 56 language laws made things difficult for Tamils and subsequent degradation of democracy, free speech made them more victimised. The sinhala leaders who acted like thugs never wanted to solve tamils' issues. So these things did accumulate and Tamil leaders helped militancy form. Also we had many race riots,in 58, 77 and 83 and SL gov did not act to safeguard the tamils as they should have. So it is wrong to say they were not wronged.
Also gov did not suppress the sinhala nationalism from the bud but used it as a card for their electoral gains. Sinhala (and tamil )politicians played the race cards to win elections making the country's racial tension severer. So it is not a black and white scenario.
Actually the problems faced by Tamil is faced by sinhalese in rural areas. Power devolution is a must to solve issues. If u want I can talk about this with u.

I am a sinhalese and I believe power devolution is needed. This is the case machan. post independance, it is natural for Tamils to fear that a larger sinhala culture and language in SL with numerical supiriotity would overwhelm their culture and heritage. That is why many Tamil leaders made demands but sinhala leaders (who had never been for SL) did things that make Tamils feel more vulnerable. It is clear 56 language laws made things difficult for Tamils and subsequent degradation of democracy, free speech made them more victimised. The sinhala leaders who acted like thugs never wanted to solve tamils' issues. So these things did accumulate and Tamil leaders helped militancy form. Also we had many race riots,in 58, 77 and 83 and SL gov did not act to safeguard the tamils as they should have. So it is wrong to say they were not wronged.
Also gov did not suppress the sinhala nationalism from the bud but used it as a card for their electoral gains. Sinhala (and tamil )politicians played the race cards to win elections making the country's racial tension severer. So it is not a black and white scenario.
Actually the problems faced by Tamil is faced by sinhalese in rural areas. Power devolution is a must to solve issues. If u want I can talk about this with u.

Well yeah i totally agree on power devolution to the people..But for every citizen one section of the socirty cannot be treated differently especially in a multi ethnic nation like the island..And i agree politicians of both hues are to blame..Both sides inflamed the situation for short term political gain..

What the hell are you on about..You just cant make general statements and make people to believe it's true..For the millionth time can all of you screaming discrimination pls for fark sake emphasise it with proven facts without going on Tamil media propaganda?? When were the Tamils disenfranchised??

What was so specifically discriminatory to the Lankan Tamils that did'nt affect the other minorities in the island?? Or does Tamils for some reason special than the Moors,Malays,Up Country Tamils or Burghers?? Or even the general Sinhalese population bar the ruling classes??What was so special about them to take up terrorism and brutalise a whole country for 30 years?? As a fellow post colonial nation are all the minorities in India hunkey dorey that there are no internal conflicts in your country??How the hell is Colombo the capital a Tamil majority city?? How is after Singapore SL is the only country that has Tamil as a national language??

How the hell did Kumar Ponnambalam run for presidency in 1984 even after the now infamous 83' anti Tamil pogrom?? How did Lakshman Kadirgamar nearly became the PM before he was brutally killed by the so called Tamil's saviours??Where the **** else in the world does 10% of the population demand for 1/3 of a country for a mono ethnic,Mono liguistic perceived homeland and who in the right mind would give it to them??

I presume you're a intelligent person..So pls reserch and comment on a issue that is so complex and vast without swallowing one sided propaganda whole sink and barrel..Cheers

As a fellow post colonial ( & trust me, i have more against the british than I'll ever have with you), I'm telling you, you have misjudged the magnitude of the policy issues you have created. If your issue at independence was that tamils had a prerogative position among the elites- YOU SHOULD HAVE HANDLED THAT DIFFERENTLY. We had the same problems during our independence and every time affirmative action went beyond, say, 30% reservation, it created backlash. and cultural issues are really very sensitive. You may not think 'One Sinhala' was a big problem then, but that's like showing a red rag to a bull. Ask us- WE WENT THROUGH THAT, revised our policy and settled it through organization on linguistic lines. tamils reacted to your policies the same way in which they (and all other linguistic groups in India) reacted to a policy of proposed unilateralism here. We compromised and never really made it a binding law, you didn't. For well over 50 years our peace has held. What's so special about you that you should get your way anyway? the native land of tamils, called tamil nadu is very well accomplished economically and culturally and are a significant economic engine in India.

An unofficial first draft of the US resolution against Sri Lanka to be moved at the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva faults Sri Lanka’s lack of progress on power devolution to the provinces and calls that the Government’s National Action Plan on Reconciliation does not adequately address the findings of the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission.

The draft is currently being circulated to other foreign missions by the US delegation in Geneva.
The 2013 resolution is not punitive and merely measures progress by the Sri Lankan Government since the UNHRC adopted a resolution against Sri Lanka in 2012 and reiterates the call for the promotion of reconciliation and accountability going forward, analysts said. The following is the full text of the resolution:
Promoting Reconciliation and Accountability in Sri Lanka
The Human Rights Council,
Guided by the Charter of the United Nations, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the International Covenants on Human Rights and other relevant instruments,
Recalling Human Rights Council Resolution 19/2 on Promoting Reconciliation and Accountability in Sri Lanka,
Reaffirming that it is the responsibility of the Government of Sri Lanka to ensure the full enjoyment of all human rights and fundamental freedoms of its entire population,
Taking note of the Government of Sri Lanka’s National Action Plan and its commitments as set forth in response to the findings and recommendations of the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) of Sri Lanka,
Noting with concern that the National Action Plan does not adequately address all of the findings and constructive recommendations of the LLRC,
Recalling the constructive recommendations contained in the LLRC’s report, including the need to credibly investigate widespread allegations of extra-judicial killings and enforced disappearances, demilitarise the north of Sri Lanka, implement impartial land dispute resolution mechanisms, re-evaluate detention policies, strengthen formerly independent civil institutions, reach a political settlement on the devolution of power to the provinces, promote and protect the right of freedom of expression for all and enact rule of law reforms,
Also noting with concern that the National Action Plan and the LLRC’s report do not adequately address serious allegations of violations of international law, Expressing concern at the continuing reports of violations of human rights in Sri Lanka, threats to judicial independence and the rule of law, and failure by the Government of Sri Lanka to fulfil its public commitments, including on devolution of political authority to provinces as called for in Sri Lanka’s constitution,
1.Welcomes the report of the High Commissioner for Human Rights on the human rights situation in Sri Lanka;
2.Reiterates its call upon the Government of Sri Lanka to expeditiously implement the constructive recommendations made in the LLRC report and to take all necessary additional steps to fulfil its relevant legal obligations and commitment to initiate credible and independent actions to ensure justice, equity, accountability, and reconciliation for all Sri Lankans;
3.Urges the Government of Sri Lanka to formally respond to outstanding requests, including by providing unfettered access, by special procedures mandate holders, in particular the Special Rapporteurs on independence of judges and lawyers; torture; human rights defenders; freedom of expression; freedom of association and assembly; extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions; and the Working Group on enforced or involuntary disappearances;
4.Encourages the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and relevant special procedures mandate holders to provide, in consultation with, and with the concurrence of, the Government of Sri Lanka, advice and technical assistance on implementing the above-mentioned steps;
5.Requests the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, in consultation with relevant special procedures mandate holders, to present a report on the provision of such assistance and progress on reconciliation and accountability, including investigations of violations of international law, in Sri Lanka to the Human Rights Council at its twenty-fifth session.

First draft of US resolution in circulation | DailyFT - Be Empowered

The only way to get lasting peace and prosperity in SL is by giving an autonomous state to N&E to some extent. At least Indian type quasi-federal is what we need. And saying tamils would not get that arrogantly would not take this country forward. Please get more education on contemporary Lankan history.

First you must get some knowledge about Sri Lankan history!
Some ethnic groups have different percentage in each province and district but in Sri Lankan provinces and districts haven't implemented based on such percentages. You must read our constitution first, is there implementations based on race. no one get more, every one gets the same.

most indian tamils do not knw how things are in SL. Well that is expected as they live in a different country.

of course yes.

Don’t lie men, Is the northern province same as Southern Province? Is the Eastern province same as Western Province? North has a tamil character, though u dnt want to believe or not. It is the Tamil Sri Lanka. East has tamil flavor along with a combined sinhala and muslim flavor. Arent these areas drastically different from the rest of SL. We need a new structure. That is the way forward and arrongantly holding to your no devolution - every one equal theory wont work.

All the Sri Lankan provinces are same, you are talking about the ethnic base on each province. People move here and there and this has changed time to time and this will change in the future too but these are just provinces in SL. Devolution should happen but it's for SL people and its development but not the based on ethnic or religion!

Majority Tamils work outside North because there was war for 30 years. Many migrated to southern parts due to war. But I think once normalcy returns with economic growth and a good political solution, many Tamils would go back to North.

Not only Tamils, but also Sinhalese and Muslims. Just look at the census report decades ago and now, we have to upgrade life of some parts of Tamils, also have to rehabilitate all the Moors and Sinhalese who live there. As a Sinhalese I have my right on this land, other ethnic has that too I don't want any implementing which effecting my right in north as well as implementation which effects to other communities on south!

It is not an extremist demand that is specific to Tamils. Be more understanding. Tamils get equal access to education, employment, healthcare but that is as individuals, not as a race. We need to acknowledge the tamil identity of SL.

Again I have to say, these demands by some group specific ethnic in specific area. But what happened in the Eastern province election? Pro LTTE groups lost it! We have to empower the moderate Tamils and their voices and should not listen to demands of extremists or racists groups. If we don't able to keep this in balanced development will end.

The tamil problem in SL is very much similar to what was in india in 60s. So we need to tackle it the same way. In many fronts SL is a mirror image of India, so claiming indian system wont work here is idiotic.

Don't look at Indian system lol, actually mate Indians are living in blocks I haven't seen huge mixing in these states. I have mentioned that before on PDF.

Indian Tamilnadu citizens freedom/ (HERO feeling percentage) = Tamilnadu land mass / total Indian landmass *100

In every districts we have Sinhalese, Tamils and Moors in various percentages. When the communities get mixed each other one can not take own decisions or difficult to take. Unity trough mixing than faking the unity by separate living and showing to the world as we are one.

Lie! Where was Sri Lankans a one unit. Otherwise we wont have a war. We seriously need an introspection, redefining and restructuring. Please think about it. Are u honestly saying Jaffna in northern province is as same as Matara in South? Really?

Wars happens in various reasons!
Of course yes, we need to develop all the terrorism effected areas, take these areas up to the level of other provinces. I'm really happy about Eastern province, Northern province development is bit slow I like if MR can brake TNA and take their support to speed up the process!

of course yes same, just two cities in Sri Lanka.

Personally i think this is a good resolution..Without bowing down to LTTE propaganists..The US through the UN need to give this regime a dose of reality on it's impunity,nepotism and the lack of law in the country..Especially since the opposition in the country have become impotent by it's own doings..Ordinery citizens needs somebody to uphold thier rights

US hopes Lanka will accept the new resolution

The Unites States hops the Sri Lankan government will show cooperation on the new resolution which will be submitted to the UN Human Rights Council next month.

Assistant Secretary of State for International Organization Affairs Esther Brimmer told the 22nd session of the UN Human Rights Council today that the new resolution will be to make sure the international community monitors progress and to again offer assistance on outstanding reconciliation and accountability issues in Sri Lanka.

She noted that the work of the Council will not be done as long as Sri Lanka falls short of implementing even the recommendations of its own Lessons Learned and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) or in addressing the underlying sources of its longstanding ethnic conflict.

“Last year’s HRC resolution encouraged brave civil society groups on the ground to continue their efforts, and the United States will introduce another resolution at this session to ensure that the international community continues to monitor progress and to again offer assistance on outstanding reconciliation and accountability issues,” she said.

The first draft of the resolution of the United States on Sri Lanka, had noted with concern that the National Action Plan does not adequately address all of the findings and constructive recommendations of the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) of Sri Lanka.

Titled Promoting Reconciliation and Accountability in Sri Lanka, the first draft of the resolution to be submitted by the US reaffirmed that it is the responsibility of the Government of Sri Lanka to ensure the full enjoyment of all human rights and fundamental freedoms of its entire population.

The resolution recalls the constructive recommendations contained in the LLRC’s report, including the need to credibly investigate widespread allegations of extra-judicial killings and enforced disappearances, demilitarize the north of Sri Lanka, implement impartial land dispute resolution mechanisms, re-evaluate detention policies, strengthen formerly independent civil institutions, reach a political settlement on the devolution of power to the provinces, promote and protect the right of freedom of expression for all and enact rule of law reforms.

Don't worry Sri Lanka, we got veto power, no resolution will pass. We have backed you guys against terrorists and provided the army weapons and funding.

First you must get some knowledge about Sri Lankan history!
Some ethnic groups have different percentage in each province and district but in Sri Lankan provinces and districts haven't implemented based on such percentages. You must read our constitution first, is there implementations based on race. no one get more, every one gets the same.

Believe me I am not the one who needs to get a lesson on SL history. Read more books on SL and its post independence history by Tamils, Sinhalese, and burghers. Listen to what Tamils says. You won’t get it by watching government news, reading gov papers and some nationalist propaganda.
The borders were initially marked by the British for their ease in administration. And we do use it. And the Lankan provinces are different. Do you really think 85% Tamil North is the same as 85% Sinhala Southern province? Or even the 33% Tamil, 33% Sinhala, and 33% Moor and 1% burgher eastern province are the same as 90% Sinhala North Central? Different races mean different cultures we need to acknowledge that. When we deal with different cultures we need to arrange the political structure according to that. The problem is for every little task the tamils in N&E has to get gov permission which is in colombo. Tamils have lived in this part for centuries and they would like to have a say in the matters in N&E. Cant they decide on a suitable economic policy for N&E, education policy for that part? That is what they are asking for. They want to have a say in the development in their area. It is simple as that. It is nothing about dividing our country but uniting it. Got it?

You talk about the constitution. The constitution IS the problem. Not only it stifles Tamils’ rights but also Singhalese’s rights. Our constitution has degraded. We need a new constitution. It doesn’t solve Tamlis problems and makes SL less democratic. No one get more, everyone get the same is a lie. You will have equality as individuals but not as races. And arrogantly rejecting this and clinging to your opinions would not help this country.

All the Sri Lankan provinces are same, you are talking about the ethnic base on each province. People move here and there and this has changed time to time and this will change in the future too but these are just provinces in SL. Devolution should happen but it's for SL people and its development but not the based on ethnic or religion!

Are u again saying 85% sinhala southern province is the same as 85% Tamil Northern province? People moving here and there and changing demography is the crux of the matter. Tamils fear sinhala immigration would change demography in North. It is a sensitive area from them. You can see that even in Sinhala south. They too fear demography changes. So the sensible way is identifying these sensitivities and move forward. How can we have devolution for SL people without identifying racial sensitivities? How much you ppl like to ignore the matter it would come up like a plastic ball submerged in water.

Not only Tamils, but also Sinhalese and Muslims. Just look at the census report decades ago and now, we have to upgrade life of some parts of Tamils, also have to rehabilitate all the Moors and Sinhalese who live there. As a Sinhalese I have my right on this land, other ethnic has that too I don't want any implementing which effecting my right in north as well as implementation which effects to other communities on south!

What has happened is the S and M in other rural villages have come to colombo because development hasnt reached there. And by development, only building concrete structures doesnt count. The need to rehabilitate people who were in conflict zone is not denied. But the matter here is power devolution. If u have any idea of the matter we have, u would realize how important it is for us. I wonder what you mean when you say “As Sinhalese I have my right on this land” but I dont think I have. My democratic rights have been stifled by the previous and existing gov.
Just because we have power devolution, it doesnt mean u have no right for North. That is poor understanding from your part. We have different urban councils in the country. Just because you belong to a particular urban council doesnt mean you have no right to be in a different one.

Again I have to say, these demands by some group specific ethnic in specific area. But what happened in the Eastern province election? Pro LTTE groups lost it! We have to empower the moderate Tamils and their voices and should not listen to demands of extremists or racists groups. If we don't able to keep this in balanced development will end.
That specific ethnic people have lived in that specific area for centuries and they should have the right to decide on the future of the people living there. They want to have a say in that area. The pro LTTE groups didnt lost men, they got a reasonablely high vote percentage. The reason they couldnt have a gov in East was muslim groups joined with the gov later to rule eastern provincial council
Don't look at Indian system lol, actually mate Indians are living in blocks I haven't seen huge mixing in these states. I have mentioned that before on PDF.
Who are you to say indians are living in blocks and they are not mixing? It is upto the indians to decide that and they have no problem with that. So why should you? It was us who faced 30 year war and not them ne. So what is wrong is our system and not theirs. The reason I said Indian sys suits SL is, SL can be considered as a mirror image of Ind. We have the same racial complexities at a much lesser scale. I dont think a tamil living in TN feel any less than other indians.
In every districts we have Sinhalese, Tamils and Moors in various percentages. When the communities get mixed each other one can not take own decisions or difficult to take. Unity trough mixing than faking the unity by separate living and showing to the world as we are one.
If all the communities in SL mix and have a homogenous racial makeup, that will help the sinhalese identity to overwhelm the Sri Lankan identity that is the very reason Tamils wanted power devolution. They need to protect their tamil identity while adapting to a Sri Lankn identity. If what u suggest is done the Sinhala identity would overwhelm the Lankan identity making it difficult for non sinhalese (not only tamil) to adapt.
When the communities get mixed each other one can not take own decisions or difficult to take. Unity trough mixing than faking the unity by separate living and showing to the world as we are one.
But the one which is numerically higher can take decisions with less difficulty. That is why Tamils oppose a homogenous state like u suggest and that is why sinhala leaders want it that way. If there are less sinhalese in SL, u would see sinhala people asking for an autonomy like the Tamils now do.
Unity trough mixing than faking the unity by separate living and showing to the world as we are one.
Are u trying to hint at India? Dont u think it would be better to fix our issues than pointing at others.
Wars happens in various reasons!
Wars happen when people are dissatisfied with the system. That is exactly why we had insurgencies, coups. Rejecting we have no problem would not help us. We have to identify what the problem is and find solutions for that. At least listen to what others say.
Of course yes, we need to develop all the terrorism effected areas, take these areas up to the level of other provinces.
I don’t know what u mean by development, if that is only building roads, infrastructure no it is not. Even if u develop all the infrastructure in N &E still separatism would not die out unless a good devolution is done. This is not rocket science mate, common sense.

I'm really happy about Eastern province,
Some sinhalese are ready to forget all the wrongs and undemocratic MR rule just becasue he build a highway. I dont think Tamils in SL would work that way.
Northern province development is bit slow I like if MR can brake TNA and take their support to speed up the process!
If you think breaking TNA should be done by MR, that itself shows your naivety. It was ppl like u who brought this country to this stage. Whether u like it or not, Tamil people have declared TNA as their representatives. I dont agree with TNA most of the times and think they should cooperate more with the gov. Actually what people like u say n do, help the TNA fellows. It would not be easy to break TNA like MR did to many sinhala political parties. The only thing we can do is going for suitable power devolution. Breaking TNA would help MR for a couple of years but not the country. The problem would be there even after MR’s death.
of course yes same, just two cities in Sri Lanka.
And if you think Matara and Jaffna are the same, then it shows how illeterate u re on Lankan issue. Arrogantly holding onto no devolution-everyone equal method is wrong. Because it is not equal.

Back
Top Bottom