What's new

India to vote against Sri Lanka in UNHRC

Nah mate..I myself is from a minority community..but i consider myself a Sri Lankan first..The country is not perfect far from it just like hundreds of other post colonies..We have a long way to go as a civilised multi ethnic plural socierty..But all we want it EQUAL rights not special rights just because some third class rulers lost there influence and political importance post independence

read my reply to skyline :) by the way are u burgher?

read my reply to skyline :) by the way are u burgher?

Valid points and fair dinkum..But i still dont believe any group should be granted a special status in a democracy and a pluralistic society..It defeats the very foundation of it

And yes

@ Saradiel ^^ too long to answer, I'll answer briefly as much as I can.

SL Tamil culture or Moors culture means not only based on specific area, even north or central or south Sinhalese/Tamils/Moors all have their cultures. According to you Tamil culture is only exists in North? Moors culture is only in Eastern province?, no culture for Sinhalese in there? Percentages are changing based on various reasons and people carry their culture with them or they adopt new culture.

Distribution of Sinhalese 3 decade ago (Yellow), Sri Lanka Moors (Green) and Tamils (Blue-Google for it.), They have their culture every where.
220px-Sri_Lanka_Sinhalese.svg.png

200px-Sri_Lanka_Moor.svg.png

If our constitution is no good then all we suffer. Giving special powers to one ethnic doesn't make it perfect! I'd love to know from you what are rights Tamils aren't getting (5%) of north and rest of Tamils enjoying in our constitution. As a Sinhalese what are the special rights you have in Sri Lankan constitution than the other ethnic?

Each province and district has similar system, when there is an election people can select what ever Representative they want! Who are saying to adopt Sinhala identity to other ethnic?. Base of the Sri Lanka is majority Sinhalese, That's why Sinhalese and their culture getting highlighted, but it does not mean there isn't any Tamil identity, never ever seen the Tamil and Moors identity when you drive alone the road?

I see the development while I drive recently happened every part of the country, I have issues with this government but I see and say their good things too.

TNA is not only representative of Tamils in SL, even the MR got 37-38% votes in previous local election in North. We need the Tamil moderate politicians who can lead the country but not the ones who leads a race.

Very good response to the TN jokers jumping political jigs over this..:tup: The indian policy makers know the danger these seperatist elements have on the Indian union..Does not matter if they are Congress or the BJP

Sri Lanka must devolve more powers to Provinces - India

India made it clear Wednesday that Sri Lanka will have to devolve more powers to its provinces so as to empower the Tamil minority.

Speaking at the end of a charged debate on “war crimes” in Sri Lanka, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, however, declined to reveal how India will vote next month at the UN meet on human rights in Geneva.

While reiterating that India wanted a united Sri Lanka, Khurshid told the Rajya Sabha that it was vital that Tamils should be treated “as honourable citizens” and enjoy justice and devolved powers.

The minister was repeatedly interrupted by members from Tamil Nadu who charged Sri Lanka with committing “war crimes” in the final stages of the conflict that crushed the Tamil Tigers in 2009.

But Khurshid hastened to add that he could not agree with AIADMK’s V. Maitreyan who described Sri Lanka as “an enemy country” of the Tamils. The minister’s comment only drew more vocal protests.

On Colombo’s much promised devolution of powers to its provinces and by extension to the Tamils, Khurshid stood firm.

Sri Lanka cannot evade its responsibility of devolving, under the India-sponsored 13th amendment of its constitution, powers to its provinces, including the northeast, the former war zone.

“In all our official interactions, we have actually been talking about not the 13th amendment but 13th amendment plus,” he said, using an official jargon to mean India expects Sri Lanka to do more than what it has pledged vis-a-vis devolution of powers.

He pointed out that India was also in touch with Tamil parties in Sri Lanka.

When Tamil MPs quoted Sri Lankan Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa as saying that the 13th amendment was history, Khurshid said there were many views and “we should not assume this as the final” official view.

“Within the range of diplomacy, we have been told time and again that the 13th amendment (will be implemented).”

Carefully steering away from any condemnation of Sri Lanka, he said the world had seen “very sad, very moving, very tragic” scenes -- an obvious reference to the civilian suffering that marked the war there.

“That is the reason we have engaged with Sri Lanka,” he said, adding that it was “very important” that Colombo displayed accountability.

But he underlined that such accountability should come from within, rather than from outside. “When accountability comes from within, there is a greater chance of sustainability.”

The minister also declined to say if India will vote for the US-sponsored resolution at the UNHCR meet in Geneva next month pulling up Sri Lanka for human rights abuses and for lack of political reconciliation.

He also told Tamil MPs that the situation in Sri Lanka was of concern to everyone in India. “Why are you isolating yourself?”

“Our initiative is to find a solution... go beyond pain and anger. We want a sustainable settlement to the issues in Sri Lanka.

“There is no question of our having a blinkered vision of the ground situation,” he said, and added that Sri Lanka had been told to hold a free and fair election in the island’s Tamil-majority north.

“We want Sri Lanka should become prosperous again but that success story should have the total participation of Tamil citizens with whom we stand in solidarity.” (IANS)

Very good response to the TN jokers jumping political jigs over this..:tup: The indian policy makers know the danger these seperatist elements have on the Indian union..Does not matter if they are Congress or the BJP

India knows how to handle policy problems quite well. You might actually do well to get out of rejecting everything India says just because we say so- primarily because your problems are not unique, they have been extensively addressed by us too and our experience can help you. We aren't telling you anything we ourselves haven't done in our country.

India knows how to handle policy problems quite well. You might actually do well to get out of rejecting everything India says just because we say so - primarily because your problems are not unique, they have been extensively addressed by us too and our experience can help you. We aren't telling you anything we ourselves haven't done in our country.

It's a case of twice bitten thrice shy..Sure it's a changed world and a changed relationship..Especially post Rajiv Ghandhi murder but the utter devastation caused by then foreign policy blunder of India is still very much strong in Lankan psyche..You cant really blame them

Sinhalese hate India, I dunno why. India has been supporting them since decades, and yet they bash India at every given chance.

Seriously guys... India has no interest in annexing Sri Lanka or whatever. For most Indians, its just the place where Ravana ruled. Most of them still ask if Lankans worship Ravana. Such innocent people, why would anyone hate us so much. Plus Sinhalese are basically descendants of Kalingans ie Indians you so despise :hitwall:

They accuse us of being bad to them? Ok then... time for India to get real about SL.

Tamils want a separatist movement against India? Wow. I better take care against Tamil terrorists bombing me :what::sick:

But I am talking about Kashmir held by India ...

MAN, you got to be kidding. neither does INDIAns nor does Pakistanis have the right to talk about Kashmir, we both have our due share of being bad to some extent. By large its the Kashmiries at the end of the day who have to tell what is good or bad for them, and that will happen only when we both withdraw our forces from the Kashmir vally which neither of our governments are going to do. So shut the pie hole.

So Is balochistan pakistan has occupied it with force and they did it first by ennexing the free state of Kalat and then stabbing balouch nationalist in the back first by saying it will be a federal structure later changing its demography among others ...first free Balouchistan then you talk about Kashmir OK

By talking your logic ... Hyderabad Dakkan, Kashmir etc and yes first handle Naxalite, Assames, Bodoland, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland etc. etc. ... then boast ...

MAN, you got to be kidding. neither does INDIAns nor does Pakistanis have the right to talk about Kashmir, we both have our due share of being bad to some extent. By large its the Kashmiries at the end of the day who have to tell what is good or bad for them, and that will happen only when we both withdraw our forces from the Kashmir vally which neither of our governments are going to do. So shut the pie hole.

Yes to some extent I am agreed with you :) ... rest required travel for 6000 miles ... will see be prepared.

So u accept america is playing geo politics here and nothing abt HR?
btwen america will leave Tamils as soon as they achieve what they want just like india did in 80s. You tamils in India are helping the Tamils in SL to get lost again. If u are sincere, what u people whould be doing is helping them to integrate to Lanka.

I do not - I said it will become geo political issue in future for US. Right now it is the pressure from Tamil diaspora in UK and the Human rights orgs in US which is doing the trick.

So what do you expect the Indian tamilians to do? I have stated that there are two demands which many want(or atleast that is my position)

1. SL need to implement the 13th amendment
2. Want accountability for the war crime

Let me understand what you guys(SL tamilians want) and see whether we are in tune with you. If not, I am willing to change atleast my personal stance.

By talking your logic ... Hyderabad Dakkan, Kashmir etc and yes first handle Naxalite, Assames, Bodoland, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland etc. etc. ... then boast ...
he he he pakistanio se apna ghar to sambhalta nahi chale hain hame naseehat dene ...sirji we are and were right but the same cant be said about the land of the pure and if the history of last 65 years is anything to go by that has been prooved right time and agin ;)

Back
Top Bottom