What's new

India to Test Fire Indo-Israeli LR-SAM/Barak-8 on-board INS Kolkata in 2015

If Barak-8 is capable of intercepting missiles at 500m, them what is the need for Barak-1 or any short range SAM.Less than 500m is already CIWS territory.

Remember this is a ship and has limited number of launch cells.A VLS cells taken up by Barak-1 means a VLS cell not taken up by Barak-8.
you think with just 32 missile you gonna defend .................. we need RAM like sams

Yeah i also thought of the same thing.According to Penguin and Sancho,2*8 Barak-1 VLS system can be easily integrated in the Kolkata class by removing each of the 4 AK-630 CIWS(or at least a couple of them) and using that space like what was done in case of the Delhi Class.In this way Kolkata class can have a right combination of hi-lo mixture.
Delhi9.jpg

So why on earth is the Army not interested in inducting the Barak-8 ER version in it's Air Defense Corp:undecided:??
No way should one start taking out gun CIWS, they are the very last line of defence.

I'm sure with the P-15B the armaments carried will be much more.

you think with just 32 missile you gonna defend .................. we need RAM like sams
32 in ready to fire VLS and a further 32 in stand by mode that can be reloaded into the VLS within a few minuets (if not faster) without the need for a crane or any such equipment.

+ where are all those trolls that had claimed the Kolkata wouldn't be firing the BARAK-8 before 2018 at the earliest??

Excellent.
Now we must focus on replacing the barak -1 with akash sam's as the last missile layer in older ships.(Sorry cannot be done as akash is very heavy at 720 kg)

But i find it wasteful to be having no barak-1 in kolkata!!
It only has barak-8 reportedely for .5 km to 70 km when ideally other ships have a high-low mixture like

1)aster 15 and 30
2)chinese have fl3000n ciws as last resort and s-300 variants for long ranges.
Only 32 Barak-8 missile:o::o::o::o::o: can anyone confirm on these?????

There are 16 vls for brahmos too.
But first Kolkota was supposed to come with at least 48 Barak-8, its going to be our primary air defense ship for our carrier group and 32# is very less, just my 2 cent.

Like I said 32 in a ready to fire state inside the VLS and a further 32 in a standby state ready to reload the empty VLSs. 32*2= 64. Add to that 16 Brahmos and you have a pretty formidable destroyer:

SNAFU!: The Indian D63 Kolkata Destroyer is the most balanced on the planet.
So does Agis destroyer with 96 air defense missile are not all in ready to fire mode, is it the same case as Kolkata half of them are in ready to load mode. Please bare with me its little confusing, about how many missile each ship carry.

So does Agis destroyer with 96 air defense missile are not all in ready to fire mode, is it the same case as Kolkata half of them are in ready to load mode. Please bare with me its little confusing, about how many missile each ship carry.
The Arleigh Burke class are different, the have 96 Mk 41 VLS cells, the Kolkata only has 32 so the latter requires the reload system.

Like I said 32 in a ready to fire state inside the VLS and a further 32 in a standby state ready to reload the empty VLSs. 32*2= 64. Add to that 16 Brahmos and you have a pretty formidable destroyer:

SNAFU!: The Indian D63 Kolkata Destroyer is the most balanced on the planet.

I am still not impressed with the allocation of space.
The reserve is just a waste of space,,rather than 32 reserve i would prefer 12-16 vls instead.

Reloading during wartime is near impossible.

The Arleigh Burke class are different, the have 96 Mk 41 VLS cells, the Kolkata only has 32 so the latter requires the reload system.

32 VLS is for Barak-8 SAM another 16 for brahmos is there.. and also there are enough space for adding few more VLS. Arleigh Burke class also have reloading systems..

I am still not impressed with the allocation of space.
The reserve is just a waste of space,,rather than 32 reserve i would prefer 12-16 vls instead.

Reloading during wartime is near impossible.
Agreed, it would be far more beneficial to have more missiles in a ready to fire state in their VLS and this current arrangement of 32 ready/32 on standby is sub-optimal. I'm hoping to see such changes on the P-15B that are set to be larger, more deadly, more efficient and more refined. Just have to wait another 2-3 years to see INS Bangalore and what she is packing ;)

From what I've heard of the reloading system it is very much possible in war time and almost fully automated but the issue is it takes time (I'm told not much but still).

32 VLS is for Barak-8 SAM another 16 for brahmos is there.. and also there are enough space for adding few more VLS. Arleigh Burke class also have reloading systems..
AFAIK the reloading system on the AB class's Mk 41 VLS cells requires a crane and top-loading. The reloading system on the VLS for BARAK-8 is quite different and are re-loaded from below and don't require any such external crane so quite different.

Agreed, it would be far more beneficial to have more missiles in a ready to fire state in their VLS and this current arrangement of 32 ready/32 on standby is sub-optimal. I'm hoping to see such changes on the P-15B that are set to be larger, more deadly, more efficient and more refined. Just have to wait another 2-3 years to see INS Bangalore and what she is packing ;)

From what I've heard of the reloading system it is very much possible in war time and almost fully automated but the issue is it takes time (I'm told not much but still).

AFAIK the reloading system on the AB class's Mk 41 VLS cells requires a crane and top-loading. The reloading system on the VLS for BARAK-8 is quite different and are re-loaded from below and don't require any such external crane so quite different.

As in my senses, and this is totally my thinking. Initially the production of Barak-8 remain low in BDL. There is no sense in installing extra VLS system for Barak-8 for now.

But if you see the Kolkata, there is still so much space left for installing for cells for VLS, maybe in first refit the total number in ready to fire mode will be increased to 48 to 64.

BTW, there is no sense in reloading mechanism. @Penguin.

Back
Top Bottom