India to station tejas at new IAF base in Rajasthan Near Pak Border

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xracer

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Tejas to be stationed at new IAF base in Rajasthan

India’s self-developed Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas will be based at the IAF’s brand new forward-operating base at Phalodi in Rajasthan. Medium-lift choppers, Mi-17s will also be stationed at the base which will be 102 km from the India-Pakistan border, said sources.

Uniquely, the new air base that was inaugurated four days ago is the first forward-operating airbase to be commissioned by the IAF in more than two decades. The first lot of the LCA -- a squadron of 20 aircraft -- is scheduled to be handed over to the IAF in 11 months from now. The second squadron will follow a year later -- both are being built at the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) unit at Bangalore. Once handed over to the IAF, the LCA’s first base, briefly, will be at a station in South India, from where the fighters will move in batches to Phalodi, the sources said. Moving planes in small batches is a normal IAF procedure. Phalodi has the capacity to handle other aircraft besides deep penetration radars.

Defence Minister A K Antony had told Parliament last month that the first lot of the LCA would be delivered in March 2011. The Air Force is likely to accord ‘initial operational clearance’ by the end of this year.

Phalodi is the sixth IAF base in Rajasthan. It is located almost equidistant from the three existing IAF bases at Jaisalmer, Jodhpur and Nal (Bikaner). The IAF has two others bases in Rajasthan -- Suratgarh and Uttarlai (Barmer). Across the border opposite Phalodi are two major Pakistani military bases in Bahawalpur and Rahimyar Khan.

In the past two decades, the IAF had not commissioned or operationalised a new base as it had focused on improving infrastructure in the existing bases across the country -- some 70 in number. In the past two years, the IAF has reopened defunct advanced landing grounds at Nyoma, Fukche and Daulet Beg Oldie -- all in Ladakh. The forces have a requirement for more than 200 LCA-type aircraft to replace the ageing lot of MiG 21 series of fighters. An additional $ 538.2 million (about Rs 2,500 crore) has been approved by the government for the LCA Phase-II programme. For this, the engines are to be selected soon. The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Nation

one year old article....
every gernalist has his own view...

But LCA is still incomplete.............
Engine issues are still there .....???
GE F414 engines made LCA heavier to make manevers.....
Besides that .....so far deal for GE enginess is still to be signed.
And to my knowledge LCA first squadron is expected to be established by 2013.....after the long effort from 1980, if engine deal is signed.

In 2013 we would be taking hands on experience on JF-17 Block II and would be deployed at front border with more then one Sqd.

But LCA is still incomplete.............
Engine issues are still there .....???
GE F414 engines made LCA heavier to make manevers.....
Besides that .....so far deal for GE enginess is still to be signed.
And to my knowledge LCA first squadron is expected to be established by 2013.....after the long effort from 1980, if engine deal is signed.

In 2013 we would be taking hands on experience on JF-17 Block II and would be deployed at front border with more then one Sqd.

First it did nt flew with that engine yet. It seems you are the only one in the world who claims so.

Secondly the current engine 404 weighs 1036 kg and 414 weighs 1110 kg . It also has more thrust hence it will be more faster and rate of climb would be more and the current version of 414 we ordered is better than the one which is used in Super hornets.

GE offered one dozen F414 engines to India only for during development, and on initial production models. Thats it.

GE offered one dozen F414 engines to India only for during development, and on initial production models. Thats it.

414 is flown in hornets and the latest one is also flown in Gripens.

This is a great move BTW,

about 200-300 LCA's, (mass produced) shall be enough for PAF.

We should dedicate more of our advanced aircrafts to our eastern border.

no yar i am not feeling insecure i am just having fun alot of fun
your are feling insecure because LCA dont have a engine fit yours tata nano engine into Lca then
lca will be more superior then f22 Raptor:rofl:
How insecure the OP must feel to post this 1 year old news.

Another member says LCA has no engines...

Where have i come to ??

your are feling insecure because LCA dont have a engine fit yours tata nano engine into Lca then

First design an engine for your local....i dont know.

I am having lot of fun searching for pakistani engine for JF-17....unfortunately drawing a blank!!:lol:

Really? Is this what you're trying to say convincing yourself? Last time I checked, there were two other things that you were laughing off about what we discussed, and then they happened in the last couple of months. :azn: What do you think Tejas has been flying on till now? Paper props?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom