What's new

India to spend $3 billion for 3 more Talwar-class frigates

Business is Business, Russian make money as always. An American Ageis destroyer costs 1 billions USD, same as Talwar-class frigates. Don't tell me Russian are not making hell out of money.

054A frigates only cost 200 millions USD, you can calculate how much kickback Indian officers take.

and cockin is the only shipyard that can build bigger ships in the whole india right? what is the max tonnage it can handle?

Pix3.jpg

do you see the design and operating defects in the pix?

No, Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers, Mazagon Dock Ltd. can also build ships of large tonnage.

I dont know about the others, but CSL can build ships upto 1,10,000 DWT and repair ships up to 1,25,000 DWT Cochin Shipyard Limited.

The largest naval ship is the +40,000 ton Vikrant class carrier IAC-1 which under construction.

The pic you posted is from a visit to Cochin Harbour by IN warships. I dont know why they were docking at this site of the harbour.

Our ship industry is far away from where yours is, but we are learning more and more and are improving rapidly as well and are investing in newer technologies as we step ahead.
Broadsword: New yards, techniques, to speed up warship building

No, Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers, Mazagon Dock Ltd. can also build ships of large tonnage.

I dont know about the others, but CSL can build ships upto 1,10,000 DWT and repair ships up to 1,25,000 DWT Cochin Shipyard Limited.

The largest naval ship is the +40,000 ton Vikrant class carrier IAC-1 which under construction.

The pic you posted is from a visit to Cochin Harbour by IN warships. I dont know why they were docking at this site of the harbour.

Our ship industry is far away from where yours is, but we are learning more and more and are improving rapidly as well and are investing in newer technologies as we step ahead.
Broadsword: New yards, techniques, to speed up warship building

Thanks for the info!

Business is Business, Russian make money as always. An American Ageis destroyer costs 1 billions USD, same as Talwar-class frigates. Don't tell me Russian are not making hell out of money.

054A frigates only cost 200 millions USD, you can calculate how much kickback Indian officers take.

Lets wait for the official statement. The difference between the price showed by the media and the actual price can be enormous.

Furthermore, it might include more than the frigates alone.

Though you cannot compare building a complex warship to buying produce in the market, when working this one out roughly, this is rather interesting:

A us gerald ford cvn weight 100,000 tons and its estimated cost is around $13.5 billion

USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it will be $0.000135 bln/ton

The Talwar class frigate is going to have a displacement of about 6,000 tons @ $0.000135 bln/ton = $0.81 billion

Yes they are making lot of money but still this is estimated cost for future and these ships will be delivered around 2018-2020 time frame.

type 54a tech is 1990s era basically comparing weapon systems to western and russian contemporary ones. When you import world class components into a ship of world class calibre $$$$$$$$$ happens to hit the fan. You guys follow a number game , we follow a quality game. Both are excellent ideas but follow nearly same target - area domination.

Pray to god we never have to test these things. :cheers:

type 54a tech is 1990s era basically comparing weapon systems to western and russian contemporary ones. When you import world class components into a ship of world class calibre $$$$$$$$$ happens to hit the fan. You guys follow a number game , we follow a quality game. Both are excellent ideas but follow nearly same target - area domination.

Pray to god we never have to test these things. :cheers:
Don't tell me 052d is just a number game.
1356680527_68486100.jpg

So I can come to two conclusions based on this cost, either the Chinese 052D, the latest isn't as good as the Talwar for about the same cost. (you got to figure the seller needs to make a few bucks) Or Indian Navy got seriously ripped off.

So which one is closer to the truth

actually its about inflation and tech upgrades

The first batch of 3 Talwar class Frigates were ordered in yr 1996 for 1.1 Billion USD, They were delivered in 2002-04
Second Batch of 3 Talwar class Frigates with several upgrades like VLS Brahmos and better sensor suites was ordered in Yr 2006 for 1.6 Billion USD, WITH Deliveries beginning in 2012

Negotiations are currently underway for a third batch of 3 Talwar class Frigates with contract likely to be signed in 2014 ,after the General Elections in India
These Ships will carry further improvements like Barak 8 SAMs and Hypersonic Brahmos
they will be delivered by yr 2020
still we dont know about Final Price though there are Rumors that this Batch will be based on Either the Kirvak IV or Admiral Gorshkov class frigates which weigh around 5000 tons rather than the Kirvak III class frigates which weigh around 4000 tons

Also the First batch of Talwar class Frigates are supposed to go in for MLU in 2018 , so maybe the price will include the upgrade package to bring the first batch at par with the last batch

So I can come to two conclusions based on this cost, either the Chinese 052D, the latest isn't as good as the Talwar for about the same cost. (you got to figure the seller needs to make a few bucks) Or Indian Navy got seriously ripped off.

So which one is closer to the truth

Rather I would say India and Russia are jointly developing some tech related to ASW, SAMs etc.

The cost is R&D cost plus the frigate cost :cheers:

Rather I would say India and Russia are jointly developing some tech related to ASW, SAMs etc.

The cost is R&D cost plus the frigate cost :cheers:

There is one member who said that current Talwars don't have enough ASW capability

May be that's why upcoming Talwars will be costly as they may be equipped with much better ASW capabilities

There is one member who said that current Talwars don't have enough ASW capability

May be that's why upcoming Talwars will be costly as they may be equipped with much better ASW capabilities

Russian systems need some advancements as the tech. development has slowed down after USSR break up, there are some fields which Russians lack cutting edge.

It is like collaboration between India and Russia with some help from Israel and western tech.

Back
Top Bottom