What's new

India To Purchase 3 More French ‘Scorpene’ Submarines

im going on a hunch here saying that the indigenous aip is not yet ready and would be ready after the 6th ship is built so the induction of 3 more subs is meant for the indigenous aip's and to increase

either that or theres a delay in the 75i

None of that, your hunch is off the mark.
It means something else; the first Scorpene, INS Kalvari is on her sea-trials now. This indicates that they are proceeding well, with the IN being happy. They will want to use the Scorpene line to make up for the slippage in the acquisition plans.

It means something else; the first Scorpene, INS Kalvari is on her sea-trials now. This indicates that they are proceeding well, with the IN being happy. They will want to use the Scorpene line to make up for the slippage in the acquisition plans.
He may be pointing that earlier there was a plan to equip last 2 of 6 with AIP.
My guess would be DCNS may charge a good amount to work with DRDO to Integrate AIP in those 2 submarines. I am assuming that it is not in contract that DCNS needs to work with DRDO. New contract would have this explicitly.

There might also be a delay with those 2 submarines, IN would like to avoid that. Their preferred option would be to get 6 without any delay.

so i was on the mark theres a delay and how do you know the aip development is on track?
the 75i is in troubled waters or as you say "slippage"

Great move. Scorpene in large no.s will be enough for bay of Bengal &Arabian sea. While p75i will be for longer patrolling . we should go for 6 more aip scorpene.

According to Latribune.fr, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Hollande should certainly mention the Scorpene submarines built by DCNS during their meeting.
The head of program management Pierre Legros (DCNS) will be part of the French delegation.

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @Levina @Parul @Nilgiri @SpArK @The_Sidewinder @SrNair @Skull and Bones @knight 11 @45'22' @nik22 @Ind4Ever @ranjeet
-
With neighbouring China and Pakistan strengthening their fleets, India, too, plans to replace its ageing underwater combat arm.

The Narendra Modi government recently said that it would soon purchase three more ‘Scorpene’ submarines from France to bolster India’s naval power. India has already ordered six such submarines that are constructed at Mazagon Docks. Now, the government plans to issue a tender for six new-generation stealth submarines by 2016.

Indian Navy Chief Admiral Robin Dhowan has said that the main aim of the proposed move is to effectively counter China’s strategic moves in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR). He also said that India currently has only 13 ageing conventional diesel-electric submarines, 10 of which are more than 25-year-old, and one SSN on lease from Russia. According to the Navy chief, the Russian submarine is not armed with nuclear missiles in accordance with international treaties.

On the contrary, China has 51 conventional and five nuclear submarines. The Asian giant also plans to induct another five JIN-class SSBNs with the 7,400-km range JL-2 missiles. Pakistan, too, has ordered eight more advanced diesel-electric submarines from China. “Collaboration between Pakistan and China is nothing new, nor is their development of Gwadar port. The geo-strategic environment keeps on changing. We take note of the developments and factor them into our own plans,” stressed Admiral Dhowan.

Asked about India’s plans to counter its two nuclear-powerful neighbours, the Navy chief said that Indian Navy should be a multi-dimensional, networked force. According to him, the Indian Navy is also combat-ready and it can take on any challenge in the IOR at any time. Admiral Dhowan claimed that the Navy has the ability to safeguard India’s maritime interests from the Western Pacific in the east to the North Atlantic in the west.

India To Purchase 3 More French ‘Scorpene’ Submarines | InSerbia News

We need more powerful submarine arm

So there will be 9 scorpenes in Indian naval services( Which was expected). Possibly last 5 of them with Indigenous AIP while rest upgraded with same during mid life upgrades.

m going on a hunch here saying that the indigenous aip is not yet ready and would be ready after the 6th ship is built so the induction of 3 more subs is meant for the indigenous aip's and to increase either that or theres a delay in the 75i

Indigenous AIP developed by DRDO will first have a trial on land and then installation on a older sub which IN can spare preferably a working sub purely close to retirement for testing purpose. This reduces the risk involved particularly when we talk of involving a active duty platform.
As i said above MESMA AIP looks to go ahead in last few orders in original 6 and new follow on may feature it too.

As far as P75I is concerned the tender would be out this year end, closing of bids and evaluation in 2017 and winner will be disclosed most probably by 2018. The technology tie up and basic infrastructure creation can take 3 years so 2018-2021 will be consumed. The first sub will take at least 5-6 years so sea trials by 2026-27 types and subsequent induction post sea trials. As such there is no delay but P75I program itself is being planned in such a way that by that time all scorpenes will be active in IN. The DRDO AIP will be sure shot ready by then and hence will go clearly from first sub of P75I and perhaps to upgraded Scorpenes (the initially produced ones without AIP).

If you consider say 9 scorpenes (and perhaps 3 more later) and at least 2 P75I induction by 2030, we are going to have more than 1:1 replacements of older kilos (non upgraded ones) and HDWs set to retire in that timeline.
In essence we will end up with close to 15-24 SSKs comprising of Scorpenes 9-12 and P75I 6-12 in numbers over time. Rest will be handled by 6-12 SSNs and 5-8 SSBN. So underwater fleet will be pretty good in coming 2-3 decades.

All this submarine acquisition is well and good, but what about the torpedoes?

so i was on the mark theres a delay and how do you know the aip development is on track?
the 75i is in troubled waters or as you say "slippage"

You are still off the mark, The delay is the one that has extended from Scorpene, no new ones; part of that is being recovered already. The delay is in the original Sub Acquisition Plan.
The delay is not even with the Project 75i; because that design has not been finalised. Right now there is likely to be a change in the plans since the SSN and SSBN programs have got greater traction.

@PARIKRAMA
what is that in ur profile pic?
its called TACHIKOMA
Its a mini tank with spider like legs(equipped with wheel). Its having AI and is a character from Ghost in the Shell series.. The big belly and back houses place for 1 operative.. They are shown as very intelligent and efficient in military combat, cyber warfares, hacking skills and has a personality of a child (AI developing)

68761.jpg

Tachikoma_copy_colored_by_BrageCa.jpg

A Tachikoma(タチコマ?) is a fictional artificial intelligence, walker/roller in the Ghost in the Shell universe; appearing in the manga, created by Masamune Shirow, and the Stand Alone Complex sub-universe. Nine of them are assigned to Section 9's use originally.[3] They are spider-like, multi-legged combat vehicles, equipped with artificial intelligence

Standard Tachikoma equipment includes a 7.62×51mmlight machine gun mounted in the right arm, a secondary weapon hardpoint in the "snout" (a 50 mm grenade launcher, capable of launching both explosive and gas grenades which can be replaced by a six-barrelled 12.7×99mmGatling gun),[7] a universal cybernetic connector on an extensible, prehensile cable in the left arm, liquid wires that can be used for grappling, rappelling or for restraining purposes and a built-in thermoptic camouflage system.

Tachikoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to Latribune.fr, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Hollande should certainly mention the Scorpene submarines built by DCNS during their meeting.
The head of program management Pierre Legros (DCNS) will be part of the French delegation.

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @Levina @Parul @Nilgiri @SpArK @The_Sidewinder @SrNair @Skull and Bones @knight 11 @45'22' @nik22 @Ind4Ever @ranjeet
-
With neighbouring China and Pakistan strengthening their fleets, India, too, plans to replace its ageing underwater combat arm.

The Narendra Modi government recently said that it would soon purchase three more ‘Scorpene’ submarines from France to bolster India’s naval power. India has already ordered six such submarines that are constructed at Mazagon Docks. Now, the government plans to issue a tender for six new-generation stealth submarines by 2016.

Indian Navy Chief Admiral Robin Dhowan has said that the main aim of the proposed move is to effectively counter China’s strategic moves in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR). He also said that India currently has only 13 ageing conventional diesel-electric submarines, 10 of which are more than 25-year-old, and one SSN on lease from Russia. According to the Navy chief, the Russian submarine is not armed with nuclear missiles in accordance with international treaties.

On the contrary, China has 51 conventional and five nuclear submarines. The Asian giant also plans to induct another five JIN-class SSBNs with the 7,400-km range JL-2 missiles. Pakistan, too, has ordered eight more advanced diesel-electric submarines from China. “Collaboration between Pakistan and China is nothing new, nor is their development of Gwadar port. The geo-strategic environment keeps on changing. We take note of the developments and factor them into our own plans,” stressed Admiral Dhowan.

Asked about India’s plans to counter its two nuclear-powerful neighbours, the Navy chief said that Indian Navy should be a multi-dimensional, networked force. According to him, the Indian Navy is also combat-ready and it can take on any challenge in the IOR at any time. Admiral Dhowan claimed that the Navy has the ability to safeguard India’s maritime interests from the Western Pacific in the east to the North Atlantic in the west.

India To Purchase 3 More French ‘Scorpene’ Submarines | InSerbia News

These submarines are need of the hour. Scorpenes with APIs will be invaluable assets to Indian navy. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom