What's new

India to outpace China in 2011: WB

Really we need to improve a lot. For this first we need Strong democratic leadership who has will to achieve these goals and corruption which is the biggest problem .The only thing we can do is improve ourselves .

While having a corruption free society is nice to have but to keep growing economically at high rates growth is a must have...

The analogy is..that you must first secure your pot of gold before deciding if its acquiring team has some tainted folks..

Ofcourse..we need to fight this at a maniacal pace..but please do note clean doesnt equal efficient or prosperous...

@ Peaceful you are comparing today's China with India that is , acceptably, about 10-12 years behind you.

Don't forget, we started the reform process more than a decade after you did.

I suggest you compare today's India with China of a decade back, say 2000.

I was born in Shanghai in 1981. I remember how Shanghai looks like in the 1980s, that was about 25 years ago. I can honestly tell you and other defence.pk members, the Shanghai in 1980s is much better than today's Mumbai or Delhi.

When I showed the photos of Mumbai to people in their 50s or 60s, they all told me, it is similar to Shanghai in 1950s. The gap is thus considered as 50-60 years.

The "we started the reform process more than a decade after you did" is just plain laughable. When we had the 1978 reform, it was limited to less than 1% of our population, e.g. Shanghai and Beijing didn't see any real reform until 1990s. Tianjian, one of biggest cities in northern China, didn't see real reform until probably 2005.

If you want to argue more on that, let me give you something really conclusive which your government probably don't want you to know:

The Shanghai stock exchange was opened in 1991. you started reform process more than a decade after we did?

I was born in Shanghai in 1981. I remember how Shanghai looks like in the 1980s, that was about 25 years ago. I can honestly tell you and other defence.pk members, the Shanghai in 1980s is much better than today's Mumbai or Delhi.

When I showed the photos of Mumbai to people in their 50s or 60s, they all told me, it is similar to Shanghai in 1950s. The gap is thus considered as 50-60 years.

The "we started the reform process more than a decade after you did" is just plain laughable. When we had the 1978 reform, it was limited to less than 1% of our population, e.g. Shanghai and Beijing didn't see any real reform until 1990s. Tianjian, one of biggest cities in northern China, didn't see real reform until probably 2005.

If you want to argue more on that, let me give you something really conclusive which your government probably don't want you to know:

The Shanghai stock exchange was opened in 1991. you started reform process more than a decade after we did?

Hmm..I also remember how Mumbai..Bombay then in 1996 and I can assure it looks WORSE today in 2010 than it did 14 years ago and thats for a reason..no one paid any attention to it.......but thats the point...India isnt pretty even in its best parts and lot of times its in some ways by design...ie poor migrants are allowed to put up in slums and given voter ids by local politicians for political purposes.The migrants help provie cheap services that otherwise wont be available aka Mexicans in LA.The opposite is true in China ie politicians will be under pressure from local populace to keep city clean of such import of people living in slum like situations...but thats another story.

Now in terms of Infrastructure..ofcourse its a couple of decades behind China or more but the catch up is happening and I point to our airports as an example in major cities of the fact that we can catch up even in this aspect of the economy...with almost 500 billion USD worth of infra projects currently are work in progress and by 2015...the 'look' will change and the prosperity will be visible...

Take telecom as an example...India is doing well in this sector..but all you can 'see' on the street huge number of people carrying phones...it need not add any asthetics to our cities..but we can talk to each..which we love to do..

I believe we cannot take such flattering on the face value and must keep working towards better achievements and successes. The key to attaining that status truly is not to get complacent and therefore not take such analysis too seriously before the target has been achieved.

Chinese and us might be on a collision course, but we have a lot to learn from them on working tirelessly till attaining goals in today's time.

India to outpace China in 2011: WB :rofl::rofl::rofl:

bcuz of these kinds of funny jokes everyday visit defence.pk funny jokes section (Indian Military or threads like that) :rofl:

India to outpace China in 2011: WB :rofl::rofl::rofl:

bcuz of these kinds of funny jokes everyday visit defence.pk funny jokes section (Indian Military or threads like that) :rofl:

Stealth your attempt at humor is 'visibly' uncalled for..growth rate of an economy does not equal size or quality of govt services.....so the 'claim' is not of India is > China etc..but simply that in 2011 it will grow faster than China....Chinese govt is now starting on a path where 10% growth will not be seen for many years to come..simply becoz it has already reached a certain size.

Its not funny but serious economics.However, I do agree it should be debated on a different forum..an economic one.

Oh my god.. you are senseless. You think Infrastructure is a measure of country's economy. Think again, its just one of the measure. India is doing better in most other measures.

Fancy statistics which mean nothing unless India massively grows manufacturing.
As China develops and wages rise there, India has the opportunity to take the cheap manufacturing jobs due to lower wages.But this needs a concerted effort from the government.

Fancy statistics which mean nothing unless India massively grows manufacturing.
As China develops and wages rise there, India has the opportunity to take the cheap manufacturing jobs due to lower wages.But this needs a concerted effort from the government.

Yes..its a good opportunity but also one India wont be able to exploit due to the issues with land acquisition.Land is the most abused resource in India..unfortunately the SEZs for various industry segments are woefully inadequate and inefficient for India to fill the Chinese breach.

For instance Kamal Nath a Minister of Roads & Transport wants to build 20km of highways everyday but is current doing less than 7km becoz he cannot find investors who are ready to take the risk of fighting multiple land suits in every km of road built. It might amuse you but one of the initiatives is to have mobile courts and lawyers who quickly decide the compensation to the one's displaced. India's problems are both unique and need innovative measures to fix. On the contrary, by the time I complete this response China would have built another KM of highway to nowhere...

But...well..there is a but...the right people are in the right jobs right now in the Govt and are trying to fix these issues..and I think given India's track record of last 20 yrs...it will be fixed and in time.

The pace is it growning india is going to over take america as world super power in 2013 ....congrats to india you are really incredible and shining.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The pace is it growning india is going to over take america as world super power in 2013 ....congrats to india you are really incredible and shining

And says who??? a Chinese Fanboy!! :lol: . Boy the report is published by world bank not reported by some fanboy on defence.pk.

So take a reality check and leave your chinese arogance on side. It's just a matter of time, what you can do others can also do rather can do much better?

I seriously dought 2011. Like please get real.

The report is talking about the GDP growth rate and not the actual GDP and we all know that China is trying to slow down to cool off the economy, so it was expected.

Back
Top Bottom