What's new

India To Induct The Twin-Seat PAK-FA Fighter Variant After All, It Appears

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Director of the JSC Sukhoi Design Bureau, Mikhail Pogosyan's statement to reporters, while attending the Aero India 2013 air show, seemed to imply this.

In midst of the deluge of reports that were being filed during the 5-day aerial spectacle, I seemed to have missed this development. In fact, this also helps makes sense of an earlier report. Paraphrasing his statement, he confirmed plans for developing a 2-seater (- - -) & said the actual numbers of the two-seat & single seat aircraft would be announced only after the contracts were signed. He also added that, with the advanced avionics it would be fitted with & automation [on-board mission computers] it would be akin to flying alongside an electronic co-pilot. Reading this news, one now views an earlier report in an altogether different light. If one recollects, as cited here earlier (Fourth Prototype Of The T-50 PAK-FA Aircraft [T-50-4] Makes Its Maiden Flight - AA Me, IN), India's present Air Chief had stated that it would be acquiring 144 of these fifth generation fighters, starting 2020, in a single-seat configuration. This statement was read & reported by the media here as India having reduced its requirements1. Given Mr. Pogosyan's statement, what the Air Chief was referring to wasn't any likely cut-backs in Indian Air Force's [IAF] requirements but simply stating the tentative number of single-seat variants of the PAK-FA in its fleet in the future, with the remaining being of the two-seat configuration. His reference to the twin-seater as "for export" also reinforces the argument that the IAF continues to maintain plans for its induction - one can't make a convincing sales pitch for a product if it isn't already being used by at least one of the developer nations, or he could just be referring to India as an "export client". With the single seat being in flight tests since 2010, natural sequence of events would also ensure that it would be ready for induction before the twin-seat. Thus IAF plans to start by inducting these, that it had already committed to doing, followed by the configuration of its choice, once it is subsequently ready.

A common refrain, while going through comparative analyses of Russian aircrafts, has been that while the aircraft's flight handling characteristics & aerodynamic aspects are normally top-notch, its avionics & sensor packages were deemed behind the curve, as compared to their contemporary western counterparts. Truth be told, it struck me as somewhat discordant that the Russians chose a single-seat configuration as the initiating airframe. Considering that a 5th gen platform is characterised by, among other things, the immense amount of mission-specific data generated, both, from the numerous on-board sensors, as well as off-board ones, the ability to process them into a coherent, actionable form that wouldn't overwhelm a pilot, with information overload, would remain a great challenge. Given Russia's case, one would have assumed, a dual-seat platform, with segregated responsibilities, requiring less demanding data fusion, piped into two parallel channels, as the task of assimilating information would rest on 2 human operators, instead of 1, would've been the way to go. IAF's demand for a twin-seat configuration too makes great sense. In addition to the reasons stated above, one has also to consider that this aircraft would most likely also serve as India's aircraft-based delivery platform for nuclear payloads. All things considered, a system requiring 2-man authorisation at the weapon's drop point would introduce additional safeguards into the system.

This statement from the Director, IMO, goes some distance in clarifying the issue of IAF's acquisition plans, with regards to that aircraft. What remains to be known are the possible timelines for its occurrence, as well as some information regarding India's share of work in the programme. Given that Hindustan Aeronautics Limited [HAL], the lead organisation from India, had widely touted unveiling the model of the Indian variant of the aircraft at Aero India, one hopes that military bloggers/journalists on the defence beat have managed to obtain sufficient information about this from the officials in attendance.

India To Induct The Twin-Seat T-50 PAK-FA Fighter Variant After All, It Appears - AA Me, IN

Also, in this post, the author has used the pic which @gessler made:

T-50-PAK-FA-Aircraft-Sensors-Avionics-R%25255B3%25255D.png

nice work @gessler :tup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally the cloud is starting to stir amid the confusion about IAF's Future aquisitions of Single/Twin Seat PAK-FA....
Atleast for the time being this article will be a pain in a$$ for the Chinese & Pak Fanboys who were crying a lot about the decrease in no of Pakfa from 250 to 144. Any ways thanks to yr concern we will be going for both the models.

I just get a gut feeling, IAF is buying some time by this strategy. First 3 squadrons or so would remain PAKFA (~50 no.s of single seat version) and meanwhile carryout design and prototype development. In the meantime PAKFA on both Russian and Indian side would see some years of service and teething problems identified and hopefully sorted out. This will give IAF time to incorporate any changes if required and not to mention third party components.

Does anyone know if single seat variants IAF is supposed to get will be manufactured in India or Russia?

I just get a gut feeling, IAF is buying some time by this strategy. First 3 squadrons or so would remain PAKFA (~50 no.s of single seat version) and meanwhile carryout design and prototype development. In the meantime PAKFA on both Russian and Indian side would see some years of service and teething problems identified and hopefully sorted out. This will give IAF time to incorporate any changes if required and not to mention third party components.

Does anyone know if single seat variants IAF is supposed to get will be manufactured in India or Russia?

The production model which IAF has been following of late has been few of them off the shelves and rest of them license manufactured. This will apply for the single seaters and double seaters separately since both will be different deals IMO

Finally the cloud is starting to stir amid the confusion about IAF's Future aquisitions of Single/Twin Seat PAK-FA....
Atleast for the time being this article will be a pain in a$$ for the Chinese & Pak Fanboys who were crying a lot about the decrease in no of Pakfa from 250 to 144. Any ways thanks to yr concern we will be going for both the models.

Its your obsession with Pakistan and China you people always try to seek attention with your goodies lol we don't give a F whether you buy 300 or 400, as far as Pakistan is concern its beyond 2020 thing and Chinese are already working on two 5th gen fighters. :smokin:

IAF will not buy any Pak Fas for sure, the recent policy change only suggest, that they go for single seater FGFAs (build in India, just like the prototypes), while the later addition of twin seaters remains possible, especially with exports in mind.

IAF will not buy any Pak Fas for sure, the recent policy change only suggest, that they go for single seater FGFAs (build in India, just like the prototypes), while the later addition of twin seaters remains possible, especially with exports in mind.

Sir, as an expert could you please shed some light on Single seater FGFA model that India requires, i mean in terms of differences from PAKFA. We've already heard some inputs that Avionics, airframe and radar will pretty much be same for FGFA and PAKFA. Has IAF left some areas open for third party (Israeli/French) systems?

Its your obsession with Pakistan and China you people always try to seek attention with your goodies lol we don't give a F whether you buy 300 or 400, as far as Pakistan is concern its beyond 2020 thing and Chinese are already working on two 5th gen fighters. :smokin:

Haa. Obsession and that too with Pak & China :rofl:.......... my a$$
You give every F related to any Indian Defence Deal, and for your beyond 2020 thing, our 272 MKIs will be more than a match for u, actually they will be overkill for u, hence no need to bring the Rafales and Pakfas into scenario.......
and about yr Almighty Lord China working on 2 fighters , we are also working on 2 Models FGFA & AMCA..... PAKFA is already on cards , so what?????????

the change of policy could be a part of cold start doctrine. Since Two sitter can take divide the work load for long range combat that is our eastern border and the single sitter for the west?

Sorry for being little offtopic, but if Chinese threat in on minds of planners, it wouldnot be a bad idea to have a limited squadrons (1-2 maybe) of some type of dedicated bomber/Missile carrier in IAF. I'm not sure what is the production status of Tupolev Tu 160 and if current treaties allow its export to India, with their massive load carrying capacity, such a Bomber will radically alter the dynamics of war in the region. I mean imagine one Tu 160 carrying Nirbhay or extended range Brahmos, that would pack some serious punch.

159430930.jpg

Image756.jpg

Tu-160_Blackjack.jpg

^^ or if possible we can arm our Bears with Nirbhays.(P 8I will replace TU-142 in ASW role but we can retain bears and modify them.)

I don't think Russia will sell us Tu-160. It is their most advanced bomber.

On Topic> what Sancho is saying could be true.

^^ or if possible we can arm our Bears with Nirbhays.(P 8I will replace TU-142 in ASW role but we can retain bears and modify them.)

I don't think Russia will sell us Tu-160. It is their most advanced bomber.

On Topic> what Sancho is saying could be true.

They are sharing the technology for their most advanced fighter, leased nuclear subs and much other stuff which no other country would do for us.

They are sharing the technology for their most advanced fighter, leased nuclear subs and much other stuff which no other country would do for us.

TU-160 is their most advanced bomber and they wont sell it to us.

At best we can get Tu-95(we already have Tu-142) or TU-22M3, if any treaty doesn't forbid them to do so.

TU-160 is their most advanced bomber and they wont sell it to us.

At best we can get Tu-95(we already have Tu-142) or TU-22M3, if any treaty doesn't forbid them to do so.

Dude, the 5th gen, nuclear and space technology is much more advanced and valuable than this soviet era bomber. I am sure that they would sell it if we asked but bombers are not part of the IAF doctrine and pretty much a relict of 20th century aerial warfare.

800px-Tupolev_Tu-160_cockpit_Beltyukov-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom