What's new

India to focus “connectivity” for next 20 years ties with Bangladesh

No - we want connectivity with India as much as a festering sore right in the middle of our collective foreheads.

They can take their 'connectivity' and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Any thing Sanghis ever do is for their own benefit. This is no different - they want transit through Bangladesh to connect their NE region.

So get this, we build the expensive roads and they want to drive trucks on these to NE by paying next to nothing. We build expensive ports and container terminals so they can pay nothing for exporting their goods to our markets. All win-win for them and nothing for us.

What is in it for us to help their idiotic cause to 'connect' their NE (to develop it)? Or 'connect' to us so they can export their garbage products to us? Who cares??

Take it from me, the lazy people in the NE will never lift themselves out of poverty. No use 'connecting' the rest of India to them THROUGH US.

KNOCK YOURSELVES OUT BY CONNECTING NE THROUGH THE CHICKEN'S NECK, SANGHIS, IF YOU WANT IT THIS BAD.

Who needs enemies when you got friends like these...
I meant that there is a good chance bd will decrease contact with delhi, but increase contact with NE people more. Because NE people have more in common with BD than some babus in delhi. This will happen more as indian central govt loses respect and influence day by day. Bangladeshi and chinese influence will increase day by day in NE while delhis influence will decrease.

Not exactly. Bhutan has a Bilateral Treaty with India under which Delhi decides its foreign policy. So, Bhutan cannot unilaterally become closer with China or any other country without getting approval from Delhi.

ok.

btw, you accept India did their nuclear test more than 2 decades before Pakistan? or are you still sticking by your old opinion?

Not exactly. Bhutan has a Bilateral Treaty with India under which Delhi decides its foreign policy. So, Bhutan cannot unilaterally become closer with China or any other country without getting approval from Delhi.
Also, as per the treaty between India and Bhutan, Indian army is responsible for protecting Bhutan's borders.

There is a lot of potential to increase connectivity in that region - India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan.
A sort of Schengen visa system and free trade system for these countries should also be envisaged, so that business can be seamlessly done without worrying about borders.

The whole of SOuth Asia outside of Pakistan should have a Schengen Visa system...may be Afghanistan can join too...but kind of impractical..but should be doable

The whole of SOuth Asia outside of Pakistan should have a Schengen Visa system...may be Afghanistan can join too...but kind of impractical..but should be doable
too early for Afghanistan, let it stabilize first. but yes, Nepal, BD, Bhutan, India, SL, Maldives can potentially work out a SAARC visa system.

too early for Afghanistan, let it stabilize first. but yes, Nepal, BD, Bhutan, India, SL, Maldives can potentially work out a SAARC visa system.

Pipedream, won't happen, due to a multitude of reasons... A good idea in principle however.

I do not think the govts will take into consideration the SAARC visa system unless the economic conditions turn for better and each of the countries is little reasonably prosperous. Otherwise, it will create more frictions among the countries. By the way,

Pakistan also belongs to SAARC. Without Pakistan, SAARC will become another step for a Greater India.

Any Bangladeshi on the street hates Indian Baboos and Indian Banyas from their guts. However normal Indian citizens are welcome for visits.

I don't see how this Schengen visa helps Bangladesh in this scenario. It only helps India.

1. India benefits because legal and illegal Indians (visa overstayers) can come and take Bangladeshi jobs. We in Bangladesh don't want this. We'd rather have Pakistanis and Chinese experts come in - whom we trust more. There is a trust deficit between Indian and Bangladesh. Illegal Indians remit about $10 Billion or so back to India yearly - so India benefits.

2. India benefits by having Bangladeshi well-off tourists and medical tourists spend money (current figure is $20 Billion per annum) in India. That money can get spent in either locally or in Pakistan, Thailand or China.

Last edited:
Any Bangladeshi on the street hates Indian Baboos and Indian Banyas from their guts. However normal Indian citizens are welcome for visits.

I don't see how this Schengen visa helps Bangladesh in this scenario. It only helps India.

1. India benefits because illegal Indians can come and take Bangladeshi jobs. We in Bangladesh don't want this. We'd rather have Pakistanis and Chinese experts come in - whom we trust more.

2. India benefits by having Bangladeshi well-off tourists and medical tourists spend money (current figure is $20 Billion per annum) in India. That money can get spent in either locally or in Pakistan, Thailand or China.

Yeah the counterpoint is to reinforce India when the inevitable flooding of the basin happens due to Global warming

yeah. i think Schengen idea will only be of benefit to Pakistan after a few decades of peace between Pakistan-India, and Pakistan-Afghanistan, and the Kashmir issue has to be resolved. otherwise its just free entry into Pakistan for RAW.

yeah. i think Schengen idea will only be of benefit to Pakistan after a few decades of peace between Pakistan-India, and Pakistan-Afghanistan, and the Kashmir issue has to be resolved. otherwise its just free entry into Pakistan for RAW.
Kashmir issue has to be resolved, but, I think, it is wiser to make two chambers in your heads. One chamber thinks of Kashmir and the other thinks of business, trade, and transport facilities.

Putting on hold the business matter that helps with the people's source of income is not certainly giving any hopes for Pakistan to solve immediately the Kashmir issue. It is rather ruining your economy. People need jobs for survival.

Yeah the counterpoint is to reinforce India when the inevitable flooding of the basin happens due to Global warming

Dada I have a suspicion that you may be Bengali, so quoting a Bengali proverb.

"Shokuner dowatey goru morena."

Cattle don't keel over just because Vultures offer prayers.

We have known for the better part of 50 years since 1971, that global warming will occur someday. Believe me, we have made plans/contingencies (dykes/berms/cyclone shelters/floating schools, housing) and also have ways to cope (salt water rice, vegetable cultivation using indigenous hydroponics methods). I won't go into details but don't underestimate Bangladesh' will to survive.

If Bangladesh does get flooded per India's prayers, then Bangladeshis will swim to better places than India. But be assured - we won't be going to India.

You can 'reinforce' India all you want.

Global warming will also affect coastal cities like Kolkata, Chennai, Cochin and Mumbai to some extent. Draught situation in India will get far, far worse, leading to famine and mass poverty, even more than right now. Think about 'reinforcing' those situations.

Last edited:
If Bangladesh does get flooded per India's prayers, then Bangladeshis will swim to better places than India. But be assured - we won't be going to India.

i was just thinking. it would be kinda funny if Bangladeshis ended up coming to Pakistan. restart Project 1947. lol.

Pipedream, won't happen, due to a multitude of reasons... A good idea in principle however.
If people consider it a good idea, then the reasons can always be worked upon.
Can you please elaborate on the top reasons though.
I do not think the govts will take into consideration the SAARC visa system unless the economic conditions turn for better and each of the countries is little reasonably prosperous. Otherwise, it will create more frictions among the countries. By the way,

Pakistan also belongs to SAARC. Without Pakistan, SAARC will become another step for a Greater India.
Pakistan cant join for reasons everyone knows. Once Rohingya issue is resolved, may be Myanmar and Thailand can also be added. This will counterbalance the weight of India to a certain extent.

Back
Top Bottom