What's new

India to buy 60-63 Rafales jets off the shelf from France; MMRCA deal off:

Liability clause is the main reason for delay in deal. Rafale not agreeing for these clauses.

I get a feeling that it is token order........Now that it is decided that we are going to buy Rafale....But i really fail to understand why we cant go ahead with the original order.........or if i could ask What is holding Goi signing the whole deal..... The good news is it is off the shelf......wonder how the rest 90 going to be delivered (if we are buying it)
Sir we can look at the situation in another way.
It could be that Government is now completely convinced that Rafale is the only way forward but given the messy condition of contract how to move, without causing any CAG concern or scrutiny.
The most logical (& perhaps the only) way is G2G deal.
Let us hypothetically assume the negotiations further linger on, there is always an option to place fresh orders and ask Dassault to bring in manufacturing here in India with private players bypassing HAL as whole. Deliveries will be faster and this will compensate for the time lost in protracted negotiations allowing IAF a flexibility in retiring fighters it is forced to fly.

No, it's actually seems like it's 36+. From what I understand from sources, this is a separate deal for 36 Rafales needed ASAP by the IAF, all the while the original MMRCA deal is being ironed out.

Epic

So it addresses immediate fleet concerns also affirms without doubts that rafale is the way forward

I'd say good call by MOD

I expect it to happen.......You cant have one more platform...... Additional su 30 is not the option

That would be incredibly lame, instead of lowest total cost, it'll be among the highest total cost options.

Sir we can look at the situation in another way.
It could be that Government is now completely convinced that Rafale is the only way forward but given the messy condition of contract how to move, without causing any CAG concern or scrutiny.
The most logical (& perhaps the only) way is G2G deal.
Let us hypothetically assume the negotiations further linger on, there is always an option to place fresh orders and ask Dassault to bring in manufacturing here in India with private players bypassing HAL as whole. Deliveries will be faster and this will compensate for the time lost in protracted negotiations allowing IAF a flexibility in retiring fighters it is forced to fly.
Even in this deal CAG is relevant and can play a role if they want to ..... (they may not get anything though)

My guess is that most of the details on the balance 108 to be built in India have already been worked out, hence this announcement. The 18 extra in fly away condition might have been Dassault's price for agree to provide guarantees on the HAL built Rafales.

If all details have been worked out then why the whole deal was not announced ?

something is not settled yet ...

There was no need to be in so much hurry ...we have waited so long we might as well have waited another few months ..

these bits and pieces are not going to make anyone happy .

PM should have postponed his visit to France if so much he wanted to announce the deal during visit itself .

then why is OP saying MRCA deal off?

Op was based on speculation. Deal has been announced by PM on live TV.

On the contrary it removes our breathing space to haggle.

Dasasult now has us on the hook. They just have to reel us in slowly. That is why it is a strange way to negotiate.

The only option it close for us is that of Eurofighter, which frankly was never a practical option.

Strength of our bargaining hand would depend on how LCA-Mk II turns out. The only card that Dassault had with it is rapidly depleting squadron strength of IAF. If LCA-MkII turns out well, and turns out on time; it would remove this depletion anxiety from IAF and MoD's mind.

There is not much market for Eurocanards. USA's allies (Korea, Japan , Canada et al) always buys US made fighters. USA's enemies always but Russian. This leaves only some unattached markets like India and Brazil where Eurocanards would be preferred.

RAFALE UPDATE
Additional 108 Rafale will be built in india as per the mmrca terms.. Which makes a total of 144 birds. 36 off the shelf 108 built here=144.

Back
Top Bottom