What's new

India To Buy 262 Barak-I Anti-Ship Missiles From Israel

India is just waiting for BD to produce SHORADs and then will buy the TOT from BD and set up a JV.
While you are in line to be the CMD of the venture; only because of your wisdom..... :)
Thanks. I am sick of people giving their "expert" opinions on the internet. Like the whole Indian government machinery could not think of these overly simplistic solutions.

There are a few reasonably intelligent Indians in the mass of idiots that are Indian posters on this forum.

So far I have see 3 Indians with some level of intelligence on this thread that is lacking from the others.

I got that, but read the first sentence of your article. It wrongly mentions that Barak 1 is an anti-ship missile, while it's a SAM system.

The Barak-1 is only a SRSAM. Interestingly the other SAM in use by the IN, viz. the Shtil can be used against Surface Targets in AShM mode upto a range of 25 km. In land attack mode; upto a range of 15 km.
That SAM is multimode. Even the LR-SAM will be looking at a similar capability eventually.

The Barak-1 is only a SRSAM. Interestingly the other SAM in use by the IN, viz. the Shtil can be used against Surface Targets in AShM mode upto a range of 25 km. In land attack mode; upto a range of 15 km.
That SAM is multimode. Even the LR-SAM will be looking at a similar capability eventually.
Can you give a scenario where such capability will be useful?

Thanks. I am sick of people giving their "expert" opinions on the internet. Like the whole Indian government machinery could not think of these overly simplistic solutions.

GoI has thought of many things already, and hence identified the future partner of the JV as well as the CMD of the project; even though it will be an expat. ;)

compare your missiles to us….. check out the types of missiles we developed and the quality and accuracy of our missiles compared to yours….nobody even knows if your missiles even work… ours are tested platforms with good accuracy.
As a matter of fact you are quite wrong here.
Indian rocket sciences are far ahead of Pakistan's. Practically decades ahead of Pakistan. You can ask your senior members like oscar and detterent and all to understand more or me if you want factual information, not rhetoric.

In AShM mode: in any Ship to Ship warfare, while in LA mode, its not so useful apart from a "fall-back" option.
I meant we already have Brahmos for AshM role. SAMs are for highly maneuverable target, we aren't going to find these targets in sea or on land. So I believe these mods would do little more than feel good.

No,no. the project that I mentioned in post#109.
LR SAM is for long range. We need a new project for Barak-1 equivalent. I believe it is going to be Maitri.

Are you talking about the Maitri project?
Yes the Maitri was suppose to replace the Barak 1, but the deal seems to be fallen through with the IAF and army deciding on Akash, not sure what Navy stand on this is , which in my opinion doesn't make sense since it is not in the same category in the sense it is not quick reaction. So let's see what happens.

Yes the Maitri was suppose to replace the Barak 1, but the deal seems to be fallen through with the IAF and army deciding on Akash, not sure what Navy stand on this is , which in my opinion doesn't make sense since it is not in the same category in the sense it is not quick reaction. So let's see what happens.
Akash and Maitri are separate. Akash is longer ranged. Plus Akash project itself has been only partially successful.

Akash and Maitri are separate. Akash is longer ranged. Plus Akash project itself has been only partially successful.
That's what I mean by it doesn't make sense since both are different category, the army and IAF went with Akash, and I think the main reason Is they have Spyder as their quick reaction short range option. While for the navy this is a bit of a disaster.

I meant we already have Brahmos for AshM role. SAMs are for highly maneuverable target, we aren't going to find these targets in sea or on land. So I believe these mods would do little more than feel good.

LR SAM is for long range. We need a new project for Barak-1 equivalent. I believe it is going to be Maitri.

NO. It has nothing to with "feel-good" . It allows for greater flexibility on part of the Fleet/Warship Commander.
For instance; just compare the number of Brahmos missiles vis-a-vis the Shtils in the arsenal of a Talwar or Shivalik Frigate. Then you will understand the true significance of that capability.

Maitri seems to be off the table. One may see variants of Akash in lieu of that. Even Astra is possible as a SAM version. Till then Barak-1 may continue.

NO. It has nothing to with "feel-good" . It allows for greater flexibility on part of the Fleet/Warship Commander.
For instance; just compare the number of Brahmos missiles vis-a-vis the Shtils in the arsenal of a Talwar or Shivalik Frigate. Then you will understand the true significance of that capability.

Maitri seems to be off the table. One may see variants of Akash in lieu of that. Even Astra is possible as a SAM version. Till then Barak-1 may continue.
But why would a commander allow a hostile ship to come within 25km? 8 missiles are enough to destroy all the Frigates of Pakistan. Anyways has this capability been ever used in war, anywhere?

Maitri off table? Hmm. Another decade of Barak 1 imports

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom