What's new

India to build Rs 6000 crore (US $ 1.5 billion) laboratory for futuristic research

TATA

BANNED
Reaction score
India to build Rs 6000 crore (US $ 1.5 billion) laboratory for futuristic research

The Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics has started work on a Rs 6,000-crore basic research and technology development facility for which it needs 150 acres of land, preferably around the city.

The institute plans to set up over 10 years a high-energy, third-generation synchrotron light source, the fifth in the world after the facilities in Japan, Germany, France and the US. :cheers:

Over 40,000 scientists and engineers across the world use synchrotron light for basic research and technology development in atomic and cluster physics, condensed matter physics, chemistry, materials science, nano science, structural biology, crystallography, geo and environmental science, and medical science.

“The project will open new vistas, particularly for the automobile and pharmaceutical industries in India,” said Milan K. Sanyal, the director of the institute.:cheers:

“Capacity building for the project will continue till it begins in earnest in another three to four months,” he added.

The crores for the project are expected to be allocated in the 12th and the 13th Five Year plans.

“We have not yet decided whether the project will come up in Calcutta or not. We prefer Calcutta, of course. We need 150 acres of land, easily accessible from the airport and away from railway tracks and highways (for minimal pollution),” said Sanyal.

Asked if the state government had offered such land in or around Calcutta, Sanyal said: “Secretary-level discussions are on with both the Centre and the state. We have asked both to help us.”

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Metro | Rs 6000cr science project

Bengal may get Rs 6000cr lab for futuristic research

KOLKATA: Bengal is set for a big leap in cutting-edge scientific technology — one that could transform the state into a centre for futuristic research. A high energy, third generation synchrotron source, only the fifth such in the world, will be set up on a new campus of the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP).

It will bring an investment of at least `6,000 crore to the state — almost twice that of the Tata Nano project in Singur, say sources.

The synchrotron will aid ahead-of-its-time research on nanotechnology and biological and material studies, with a wide range of applications from the manufacturing industry and engineering to basic sciences and medicine.

"Just four such synchrotrones now exist in the US, France, Japan and Germany. Once we have the facility, India will step into the big league of scientific research. It is going to be India's CERN," said Milan Kumar Sanyal, director of SINP, referring to the world's largest particle physics laboratory in Switzerland where the Big Bang experiment is being carried out. A team of scientists has been formed to supervise the setting up of the synchrotron facility that might take 12 years to turn fully functional. It will require 150 acres of land.

Read more: Bengal may get Rs 6000cr lab for futuristic research - The Times of India Bengal may get Rs 6000cr lab for futuristic research - The Times of India

can anyone explain to me in laymen terms why do we need such laborartory?

“We have not yet decided whether the project will come up in Calcutta or not. We prefer Calcutta, of course. We need 150 acres of land, easily accessible from the airport and away from railway tracks and highways (for minimal pollution),” said Sanyal.

I guess best location is Visakhapatnam, less population and security is high. More over lot's of free space with all the metro facilities.

I love this kind of move by GoI, research is the first step in bright future

Whatever it is, hope Mamta let the goddamn thing to be built in Kolkata.

That's Newtown Rajarhat for you. Everyone wants the piece of land. And we have Mamata to yell anyone off the state.

Unavailability of skilled work force and poor infrastructure, social and economical factors.

Hence why this could regenerate the whole of Bihar for the long term. Then leaving them behind, in a growing India.

Im sure India govt can improve infrastructure and get skilled workers from other states, to live in Bihar, by making new and better homes.

Hence why this could regenerate the whole of Bihar for the long term. Then leaving them behind, in a growing India.

Im sure India govt can improve infrastructure and get skilled workers from other states, to live in Bihar, by making new and better homes.

What has local population got to do with a high tech research facility like that one?

Its not a good idea for many to relocate to there unless situation is improved.

Wonderful Simply Awesome , Futuristic Research Laboratory would Help us reduce the gap between the First world nations and us, Getting an Uper Hand in Cutting edge technologies is Impossible without Such Facilities , So Yes this Is indeed a News to Cherish about , Hope this would Do wonders For the entire Human Race...

You mis-understood me.

This project in a state like Bihar, can completely massively improve Bihar. It will help bring more growth to this state compared to ones like Calcutta.

It will improve standard of living for hundreds of thousands more people. This could attract more FDI.

I just voting for equality, and this could improve Bihar literacy rate, to make a stronger India. Also the project is still in India, Im sure people would relocate, let alone people from USA moving in to work there.

Such projects don't serve the purpose real time. It will not help develop bihar in anyway. This laboratory will consist of bright scientists not local population and if you put them in a state like bihar the efficiency will hamper by a lot. It won't generate any employment for locals if you think that's the case. It is future research.

Tell me if area 51 helped in development of locals by anyway. In fact you can't even go close to it..

You mis-understood me.

This project in a state like Bihar, can completely massively improve Bihar. It will help bring more growth to this state compared to ones like Calcutta.

Its a research facility and most jobs would be by outsiders from state except the layman jobs and construction workers.. in a sense its good for the people

It will improve standard of living for hundreds of thousands more people. This could attract more FDI.

Living standards of people involved in jobs.

I just voting for equality, and this could improve Bihar literacy rate, to make a stronger India. Also the project is still in India, Im sure people would relocate, let alone people from USA moving in to work there.

The research facility has got nothing to do with literacy improvement of the overall state. They wont be conducting any literacy classes for sure.

Also it has to be noted that projects like these happens in a township sort of structure where the people involved will be confined in their own places with quarters and even the stationaries will be inside the compound only. Since its a research facility nobody will be allowed to enter its premises and maximum alienation from outside will be kept as always.

I am from a city where there is VSSC , Brahmos facility, rocket launching station etc are located so i know a few things about the impact on locality.

What Bihar need is improving basic infrastructure, roads, housing, sanitation and other things ....not a high tech research facility.

I would be much happy if its in Noida or gurgaun or maybe even Bangalore or Hyderabad.

i see only advanced countries like japan, america, germany and frnace can make such system. way to go INDIA.

Back
Top Bottom