What's new

India to build 292 dams in Himalayas by 2050

India to build 292 dams in Himalayas by 2050

India to damage the ecosystem in Himalayas by 2050
If we do so,yes it's a mess. A dam on Narmada has shown us how our endeavor to future destroys our past.

Indeed Rich don't need more drinking water than poor but the problem is that the water is depleting day by day due to industrial polution and abuse, so what ever you said will not longer be true.

Your population has stabilized and Tibet has lots and lots of water, no need to worry. :D

this could be crazy in a war with China, these dams will be a huge threat to India's populous north and even endanger Bangladesh....

You do understand that by destroying dams on Indus and the Brahmaputra, China will sign the paper of destruction for Pakistan and BD too, right?

You do understand that by destroying dams on Indus and the Brahmaputra, China will sign the paper of destruction for Pakistan and BD too, right?

Plus risking the three gorges to be blown apart .. eh .. the only thing to ponder is ... whether the standing three gorges is causing bigger disater or a blown up will !!

what make you so sure these dams are secure in the case of an allout war?

What all out war? one would be dense to think that about half of humanity will go into an all out war. China needs to sort out its real enemies before starting other wars and creating enmity with neutral countries like India.

that's not happeniinh...Indian government would go to any length in protecting the wildlife and ecosystem of Himalayas given we have the best part of Himalayas .. the green alpine forests and pristine streams unlike barren desert in some countries.

that's not happeniinh...Indian government would go to any length in protecting the wildlife and ecosystem of Himalayas given we have the best part of Himalayas .. the green alpine forests and pristine streams unlike barren desert in some countries.

Actually the low number in the target is primarily because of environmental concern or large scale resettlements needed.

Most immediate growth is going to come from thermal power .. whether we like it or not. Be it coal (not preferred) or gas.
Long term could be nuclear power.

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - Washington—The Indian government plans constructing 292 dams throughout the Indian Himalayas, roughly a dam every 20 miles by 2050 that would reduce the flow of water by 8 percent in Indus and 20 percent in Brahamputra.

A report in the New York Times said that when completed, the 7,000 to 11,000 megawatt dams would double the country’s hydropower capacity and meet about 6 percent of the national energy needs projected for 2030. Scientists and citizens alike are crying foul, however, pointing out that the dams will probably displace millions and wreck ecosystems throughout the Himalayas.

For starters, impacts on species and ecosystems are likely to be significant. The dams are proposed in areas of the Himalayas that are rich in biodiversity. And their creation threatens to submerge over 130,000 acres of forest, which would probably push 22 plants and seven vertebrate groups into extinction by 2025, according to an estimate by Dr. Grumbine and Dr. Pandit that was published earlier this year in Conservation Biology.

Estimates of the number of people already displaced by dams in past decades range from 16.4 million to 40 million.
India to build 292 dams in Himalayas by 2050; reduce water in Indus by 8pc

I May Be Wrong But I Refuse To Believe That After Every 20 Miles A Feasible Location Can Be Found On The Rivers.I Also remember Reading Somewhere That The Kishanganga HPP Site Was Also Not A Natural Location for Hydro Power.If Indians Are Able To Build A Dam Or Hydro Power Project on Any Point on A river Than Their Dam and Hydraulic Engineering is Truly Impressive.Can Any Indian Be Kind Enough To Enlighten Me About The Expertise and Technologies plus Designs Developed by NHPC Indigenously

I May Be Wrong But I Refuse To Believe That After Every 20 Miles A Feasible Location Can Be Found On The Rivers.I Also remember Reading Somewhere That The Kishanganga HPP Site Was Also Not A Natural Location for Hydro Power.If Indians Are Able To Build A Dam Or Hydro Power Project on Any Point on A river Than Their Dam and Hydraulic Engineering is Truly Impressive.Can Any Indian Be Kind Enough To Enlighten Me About The Expertise and Technologies plus Designs Developed by NHPC Indigenously

You are absolutely correct. This report in a pakistani newspaper is absolute bunkum and misleading.

Yes Indian engineers have become quite capable when it comes to conceiving and executing hydel power projects .It is because Govt. is desperate for more power generation to keep the economy growing and hydro power is one of cleanest and least expensive mode of generating power if you discount the initial cost.My dad is a GM in a hydro electric company.The project he worked on took RS 9000 crore to finish but it has already made a profit 3 times that amount since operationalizing in 2004.

Yes Indian engineers have become quite capable when it comes to conceiving and executing hydel power projects .It is because Govt. is desperate for more power generation to keep the economy growing and hydro power is one of cleanest and least expensive mode of generating power if you discount the initial cost.My dad is a GM in a hydro electric company.The project he worked on took RS 9000 crore to finish but it has already made a profit 3 times that amount since operationalizing in 2004.

So What Kind Of Design Innovations Do The Likes Of NHPC Have?Designing and Building A Fully Functional Hydro power Projects On Apparently Un Feasible Sites Is Truly Something Remarkable(Or Is This Just My Assumption).Do You Have Any Good Info,References or Links With Regards To Such Design Innovations.I would Be Thankful. Just For The Sake Of Knowledge

Sorry Electrical Engineering is not my field.You could try googling SJVNL.

Back
Top Bottom