What's new

India to Borrow and Spend More in 2010-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
It proves that a high-profile, highly valued, public company listed on India's major stock exchange was able to get away with a billion dollar cash fraud that no one noticed for a long time.

If it hadn't been Ramalingan's own conscience that forced him to come out, the Indian authorities and the unsuspecting shareholders would not know it for many more years.

It also proves that there is in investing in India, as in other markets. There nothing particularly safe about Mumbai.

ever heard of Enron or Nortel ? so that means we should not invest in the United States also lol so now everybody should just invest in Pakistan because that is safest place to invest.What a joke you are man.

India Inc hiring experts to detect accounting frauds: KPMG

NEW DELHI: Concerned over corporate frauds especially after the Satyam scam, many large Indian companies have started hiring forensic accountants to detect misreporting in books of accounts, global consultancy firm KPMG has said.

"The need of forensic accountants is prevalent across industries. The current availability of industry specific forensic accountants is quite low and there exists a gap between demand and supply," KPMG Executive director Deepankar Sanwalka said.

Indian companies are rolling up their sleeves to fight against corporate frauds and are resorting to forensic accounting to ensure increased transparency in their books.

"In the wake of the growing number of fraud incidents coming to light both within India and internationally more and more companies are looking towards forensic accountants to help ensure increased transparency," he said.

The majority of corporate fraud cases involve accounting schemes designed to deceive investors and auditors about the true financial condition of a corporation.

Forensic accounting is a scientific process of gathering, analysing and documenting financial information that can stand the test of time in the courts and as such would go a long way to check the rising cases of fraud.

"With the break out of the Satyam scam several companies have become more aware and wary of the repercussions of fraud. Forensic is a word that not many were familiar with a few years ago," Sanwalka said.

Experts believe that in today's world of increasing white-collar crimes, forensic accounting could provide investors a better view of the company's accounts.

The multi-crore rupees Satyam fraud came into light in January 2009 when the then Chairman B Ramalinga Raju had confessed to overstating the accounts in the balance sheet.

To unravel India's biggest corporate fraud, the government also sought help of private forensic accountants as govt investigators were finding it difficult to figure out the intricate accounting web in the company's books.

"For a high growth economy like India, the risk of perpetration for white-collar crimes is very high. Regulators in India also are increasing focus in this space. The opportunities for Forensic Accountants and investigators for white collar crime are growing at a rapid speed," he said.

India Inc hiring experts to detect accounting frauds: KPMG- Consultancy / Audit-Services-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Gross borrowing for the new fiscal year will total 4.57 trillion rupees ($99 billion), below a Reuters poll forecast for 4.61 trillion but above a record 4.51 trillion rupees expected in the current year ending in March, Mukherjee said.

"With the fiscal deficit expected to be still high over the next fiscal year, it is clear that the onus will be on the RBI to hike rates in coming months in order to move policy settings closer to neutral and to deal with emerging inflation pressures," said Brian Jackson, strategist at Royal Bank of Canada.

Budget raises borrowing to new record; bonds hit | Business News | Reuters

The Indian Government will not do the Round of the Houses i.e. USA, Saudi Arabia, China, IMF etc. etc. or ask USA for Hundreds of Billions of US Dollars in the form of a Marshall Aid Plan. There will be no begging from the Friends of India or even from the Friends of Democratic India.

Hope you are aware that India's Foreign Exchange Reserves are HIGHER than India's External Debt!

The Indian Government will not do the Round of the Houses i.e. USA, Saudi Arabia, China, IMF etc. etc. or ask USA for Hundreds of Billions of US Dollars in the form of a Marshall Aid Plan. There will be no begging from the Friends of India or even from the Friends of Democratic India.

Hope you are aware that India's Foreign Exchange Reserves are HIGHER than India's External Debt!

I bet you. You will not get response from him.

Thats his characteristic property. :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

Notwithstanding the media stories, India is an old beggar with a large begging bowl, having received far more aid than Pakistan since independence. And still continues to receive massive foreign aid worth billions of dollars.

In spite of all of the recent news about aid to Pakistan dominating the media, the fact remains that resurgent India has received more foreign aid than any other developing nation since the end of World War II--estimated at almost $100 billion since the beginning of its First Five-Year Plan in 1951. And it continues to receive more foreign aid in spite of impressive economic growth for almost a decade. At the recent G20 meeting, India has asked the World Bank to raise the amount of money India can borrow as soft loans, generally considered aid, from the bank for its infrastructure projects, according to Times of India. At present, India can borrow up to $15.5 billion in soft loans as per the SBL (single borrower limit)in soft loans fixed by the Bank.

Haq's Musings: Foreign Aid Continues to Pour in Resurgent India

Notwithstanding the media stories, India is an old beggar with a large begging bowl, having received far more aid than Pakistan since independence. And still continues to receive massive foreign aid worth billions of dollars.

In spite of all of the recent news about aid to Pakistan dominating the media, the fact remains that resurgent India has received more foreign aid than any other developing nation since the end of World War II--estimated at almost $100 billion since the beginning of its First Five-Year Plan in 1951. And it continues to receive more foreign aid in spite of impressive economic growth for almost a decade. At the recent G20 meeting, India has asked the World Bank to raise the amount of money India can borrow as soft loans, generally considered aid, from the bank for its infrastructure projects, according to Times of India. At present, India can borrow up to $15.5 billion in soft loans as per the SBL (single borrower limit)in soft loans fixed by the Bank.

How much of that aid has come in last 5 years . What is that aid as a percentage of India's GDP

Compare that with Pakistan to provide a context instead of making general statements..

We may have got aid in the past and some even now.. But our survival doesnt depend on it.. Cant say that about Pakistan..

In my knowledge, in last 10-15 years, India has never had a crisis requiring a bail out from the IMF or any such body. Again, Cant say that about Pakistan...

Also, pl note that soft loans simply reduce the interest payment on a loan, so if you do want to go the path of categorizing them as aid, then the aid is to the tune of the interest cost of that loan and not the loan amount....

Not again.. :no: members here clearly debunked you twisting the facts of loan as AID and still you trying to stick it up to the same argument??

Not again.. :no: members here clearly debunked you twisting the facts of loan as AID and still you trying to stick it up to the same argument??

You are wrong, as usual. Soft loans are always counted as aid reserved for the poor countries of the world. The rich nations do not take soft loans.

Tens of billions of dollars a year of aid is still pouring into "Shining India".

I have not heard the Indian govt say no foreign aid yet. On the contrary, they have been asking for more of it each year, particularly from Britain, Japan and the World Bank. And they reason they get it is because of the vast numbers of poverty stricken Indians.

Last year Britain gave almost £300m (US$500m) to India in development aid, according to the BBC. But India plans to spend more than US$1bn on its space programme next year.

Britain is about to stop its aid budget to China, which is now seen as being too rich to need it, putting India and other emerging economies under the spotlight.

Both the main political parties in the UK parliament say they would protect the almost £6bn aid budget from cuts.

BBC News - Should the UK fund toilets in Mumbai slums?

You are wrong, as usual. Soft loans are always counted as aid reserved for the poor countries of the world. The rich nations do not take soft loans.

Tens of billions of dollars a year of aid is still pouring into "Shining India".

I have not heard the Indian govt say no foreign aid yet. On the contrary, they have been asking for more of it each year, particularly from Britain, Japan and the World Bank. And they reason they get it is because of the vast numbers of poverty stricken Indians.

Last year Britain gave almost £300m (US$500m) to India in development aid, according to the BBC. But India plans to spend more than US$1bn on its space programme next year.

Britain is about to stop its aid budget to China, which is now seen as being too rich to need it, putting India and other emerging economies under the spotlight.

Both the main political parties in the UK parliament say they would protect the almost £6bn aid budget from cuts.

HAq for the upteenth time ..those Aid were given to NGO's not to the Indian government.Indian government stop accepting AID a long time ago.and for softloan..kindly tell me is this loan has to be repayed or not??how is it a AID if it has to be repayed..you are much educated than me..i feel sorry that i have to teach you what a soft loan is..here please enlighten yourself..

soft loan definition

Definition

Financing that offers flexible or lenient terms for repayment, usually at lower than market interest rates. Soft loans are provided customarily by government agencies and not by financial institutions. Also called concessional funding.

Ok Buddy - Stop talking bullshit

You don't understand the concept of borrowing as a supplement to existing funds from the perspective or economic development versus borrowing to fund your military equipment.

As for borrowing - I BELIEVE YOU KNOW WHO IS THE BIGGEST DEBTOR IN THE WORLD i.e. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA - So you would wanna call it a "what state"?

As for whatever aid or loans you mentioned - It is a known fact that each and every country does that. But there is a difference between borrowing for somethings and everything. So quite clearly you now understand what I am trying to say.

Borrowing is means to increase spending that would otherwise be deferred to future years!

So no really you donot understand the concept of economics so please hush up and leave this be as your views are clearly not accepted by any of us here!
:flame:

HAq for the upteenth time ..those Aid were given to NGO's not to the Indian government.Indian government stop accepting AID a long time ago.and for softloan..kindly tell me is this loan has to be repayed or not??how is it a AID if it has to be repayed..you are much educated than me..i feel sorry that i have to teach you what a soft loan is..here please enlighten yourself..

soft loan definition

Definition

Financing that offers flexible or lenient terms for repayment, usually at lower than market interest rates. Soft loans are provided customarily by government agencies and not by financial institutions. Also called concessional funding.

For the umpteenth time let me explain to you that most of the foreign aid to developing nations, including India and Pakistan, consists of soft loans. It has to be repaid under terms and rates that are much easier than commercial loans.

For the umpteenth time let me explain to you that most of the foreign aid to developing nations, including India and Pakistan, consists of soft loans. It has to be repaid under terms and rates that are much easier than commercial loans.

Come on Riaz now the 10 billion dollar from US is clearly an AID and because of that you are trying to convert all soft loan in to AID and can you tell me the with evidence that loans India taking from world bank and IMF are soft loans??for me it is not..you are keep trying to twisting the facts..

I don't understand how people miss the difference.

1. Giving a loan (you have chance of getting money back)
2. Putting money in big begging bowl(I don't think person who put money expect from the beggar)

Come on Riaz now the 10 billion dollar from US is clearly an AID and because of that you are trying to convert all soft loan in to AID and can you tell me the with evidence that loans India taking from world bank and IMF are soft loans??for me it is not..you are keep trying to twisting the facts..

You are talking nonsense. First, it's not $10 billion. Second, most of it is soft loans, with a small portion in payment for the logistics support to coalition forces without which they can not sustain their Afghan presence. Third, Pakistanis are not ungrateful like Indians who take foreign aid and the deny receiving it. If they are embarrassed by it, they should refuse aid, even though it'll hurt the poorest of the poor Indians.

But here's a story about British aid to India:

India’s foremost journalist and supernumerary fellow of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, has called for the ending of British foreign aid to India, calling it demeaning for his country.

Writing in the Indian Telegraph, Mr Sunanda K Datta-Ray said that it was “demeaning for a country to accept foreign money as it is to export economic refugees, whether highly qualified professionals to America or labourers to Singapore.”

Mr Datta-Ray, former editor of The Statesman in Calcutta and New Delhi, correspondent for the International Herald Tribune and Time magazine, and editorial consultant to Singapore’s The Straits Times newspaper, added that “surrendering British aid would remove an unnecessary irritant. It would also be good for India’s self-respect.”

He went on to reveal that India actually has its own foreign aid programme, called the “Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation” programme. It was launched in 1964 and now helps 156 countries, including Afghanistan.

The bizarre situation has therefore arisen where British taxpayers give untold millions to India, whose government in turn dishes out foreign aid to other countries.

“Many Britons feel that their country cannot afford to lavish £825 million on India over three years,” Mr Datta-Ray said, pointing out that the British taxpayer had already provided India with £1,045 million in aid over the previous five years.

Mr Datta-Ray then humorously postulated what the answer would be to anyone questioning British aid to India, saying that the likely retort would be along the lines of: “Well, after they’ve paid for their military and space programmes, there’s very little left for food. Hardly their fault is it you fascist, racist, holocaust denier!”

He also pointed out some harsh economic realities: the International Monetary Fund fears Britain’s public debt might double to a record 100 percent of the gross domestic product over the next five years and that unemployment (2.4 million without jobs) is at a 14-year high in the UK.

“The image of grinding poverty dies hard despite the US ruling that while Pakistan and Bangladesh are ‘developing’ countries, India is a ‘transforming’ nation (which justified slashing American aid by 35 percent to $81 million) and analysts constantly coupling India with China as the economic powers of the future,” he continued.

“India should now review the entire aid programme and the cost in terms of image, repayment and conditionalities,” he said.

* The British National Party has made it very clear that there will be no foreign aid of any sort paid out while British citizens suffer poverty and the lack of essential services.

This is in stark contrast to the Labour and Tory parties, both of whom have undertaken to increase foreign aid despite British people suffering economically.

The British National Party — Blog — Foremost Indian Journalist Calls for End of ?Demeaning? British Aid to India

Mr. Haq

First, your comparison of Pakistan and India is again wrong. India being seven times bigger would always receive more aid than Pakistan. There is no rocket science involved to arrive at this conclusion

Second, The World Bank considers all low- and middle- income countries as developing, so India is a developing country. As a developing country India is entitled to get soft loans and aid. Money is scarce and India requires as much money as it can get to develop in all spheres. Or, are you suggesting that India take a public stance of being self reliant and reject all soft loans it is entitled to, that would be foolish, even China calls itself a developing country to avail soft loans

Anyway, for your information India has reduced to six the number of foreign countries from which it accepts aid

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom