What's new

India to be called 'Bharat' ?

These idiots dont have any work now a days.. They just involve to satisfy ego of some groups only and anyways what is the point when our constitution itself says.. "India that is Bharat".. So this name is already in practice.. In english, it is referred as India while in official documents ( written in Hindi or regional languages) it referred as "Bharat Sarkar".. Politician will remain idiots only...

Changing its name to Bharat will show the world Indias true intentions are expansionist!

I think you are confusing China with India:P

This wouldnt be such a smart move, besides the word India is known throughout the world.

True!!

Because of this name, India has monopoly over all events that took place in modern day Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal etc.

Trust me that is the last reason for name change, if anything India and Indians would like to dissociate from Pakistan and B'desh as much as possible.

I do not fancy being mistaken for a Pakistani at airport security checkpoint :hitwall:

I think Our country's official name:-
In English :- Republic of India
In Hindi :- Bharat Ganrajya
Am I right or wrong?

@ Al Zakir

india It reminds of one of the greatest civilizations that ever existed............
yeah right!! What a joke....:lol:

I suggest you read up on the history of the Indian civilisation. The earliest recorded civilisational history of India dates back to the Indus Valley Civilisation (IVC) in the bronze age about 3300 BC. This was followed by the ancient Vedic civilisation in the iron age. But of course this is of little interest to you and people like you since your forefathers did not originate from the subcontinent but were Arabs right?

Last edited:
Changing its name to Bharat will show the world Indias true intentions are expansionist! This wouldnt be such a smart move, besides the word India is known throughout the world. Because of this name, India has monopoly over all events that took place in modern day Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal etc.

Good morning Sir...You surely need coffee to smell..

If you think India is famous only because of it's name Bharat then you are dead wrong... India had plenty of names on which it has been called in History.. Few are Aryavart, Jamboodweep, Bharat, Hindustan and India and to burst your bubble during all name till 1947 all areas were with this name.. Hence we need not any name to show our expansionist nature but you need to look things LOGICALLY..

If changing names..gives us monopoly over other countries ..then I vote for changing the name to United Nations..that way we ll have the monopoly over the entire world..now that is truly expansionist.:azn:

Dude, did you even bother to read what i wrote? I said "besides the word India is known throughout the world. Because of this name, India has monopoly over all events that took place in modern day Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal etc".

e.g. if you ask anyone in the west which country Porus, the king of the easternmost kingdom Alexander conquered was from, they will all say India when infact he ruled over parts of what is modern day Pakistan. Hence due to its name India has a monopoly over events that took place in Pak, Bangladesh etc.

Dude, did you even bother to read what i wrote? I said "besides the word India is known throughout the world. Because of this name, India has monopoly over all events that took place in modern day Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal etc".

e.g. if you ask anyone in the west which country Porus, the king of the easternmost kingdom Alexander conquered was from, they will all say India when infact he ruled over parts of what is modern day Pakistan. Hence due to its name India has a monopoly over events that took place in Pak, Bangladesh etc.

Yes that is exactly my point... if monopoly over historical events is what we are concerned ..then name India is more than enough..however changing name to bharat does not give us any additional geopolitical advantage in any present or future scenario..that we already do not enjoy with the name India.

Plus we already have a ocean and a subcontinent named after us hence no need to change.

These idiots have nothing important to discuss?

These idiots after having 300% increase are not satisfied and want 500% increase..and this is the work they are doing.

In our country there is Kashmir problem,Naxal problem,farmers commiting suicide,inflation,corruption and so on...and this is what they want to discuss.

Lakhs if not crores are spent for the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha meeting...i think these idiots wont listen better to have video confrencessing instead of spending lakhs of rupees for these important people to meet and do nothing worthy.

Last edited:
There is no difference between India and Bharat or Bharat Varsha (as it is known in Bangla). All of them refer to the Republic of India. The origin and root of the word Bharat in the Puranas, notwithstanding, Bharat and India are entirely interchangeable.

The patriotic content of 'India' is in no way inferior or lesser to that of 'Bharat'. The Indian soldier has been fighting for and sacrificing his life for India since independence, hardly anybody uses the word Bharat in the Indian Army/Air Force/Navy. India and Hindustan are the commonly used terms in the defense forces. It was the INA or Azad Hind Fauz formed by Netaji and not Bharat Army which sought to gain India's freedom from the British with the help of the Axis powers.

The suggestion therefore is that no tinkering is allowed with the name. 'India that is Bharat' is adequate in describing our nation. No amendments required.

But of course this is of little interest to you and people like you since your forefathers did not originate from the subcontinent but were Arabs right?

There are people that literally believe their religious and there are many who believe in human evolution in Africa. You cannot paint everybody with same brush stroke.

English = India, Hindi = Bharat and Hindustan somewhere in between, officially or not Bharat has been the name of the country since centuries

There are people that literally believe their religious and there are many who believe in human evolution in Africa. You cannot paint everybody with same brush stroke.

You said it man, that is just what I was looking for, this character indeed appears to have migrated to PDF from Africa. I was wondering where these baboons came from.

I am not sure who coined the word 'India'.

I am really suprised that as an Indian you don't know this...

The English term is from Greek Hindía (Ἰνδία), via Latin India. Hindía in Byzantine (Koine Greek) ethnography denotes the region beyond the Indus (Ἰνδός) river, since Herodotus (5th century BC) ἡ Ἰνδική χώρη "Indian land", Ἰνδός "an Indian", from Avestan Hinduš (referring to Sindh, and listed as a conquered territory by Darius I in the Persepolis terrace inscription). The name is derived ultimately from Sindhu, the Sanskrit name of the river, but also meaning "river" generically. Latin India is used by Lucian (2nd century).

The name India was known in Anglo-Saxon, and was used in King Alfred's translation of Orosius. In Middle English, the name was, under French influence, replaced by Ynde or Inde, which entered Early Modern English as Indie. The name India then came back to English usage from the 17th century onwards, and may be due to the influence of Latin, or Spanish or Portuguese.

Sanskrit indu "drop (of Soma)", also a term for the Moon, is unrelated, but has sometimes been erroneously connected. Listed by, among others, Colonel James Todd in his Annals of Rajputana, he describes the ancient India under control of tribes claiming descent from the Moon, or "Indu", (referring to Chandravanshi Rajputs), and their influence in Trans-Indian regions where they referred to the land as Industhan.

I really dont understand what is wrong with these politicians. why are they making so much effort and putting thier energy and wasting tax payers money in the parliament into chaning d name of the places in the country. they started with cities name and now going for the country.

I do agree that change should happen but the change should come in d politicians so they can run this country better and provide benefits and facilities to the people of the country. Instead of changing the name of the country they should change living conditions of the Indians. They should change the present scenarios where poor people in rural areas are dying of hunger and farmers commiting suicide.

I really dont care about what name we use for our country be it Bharat or India or Hindustan. For me, I love my country for what it is, its multiculture society, its people, its history, its rich culture, whenever I hear these words Bharat or India or Hindustan only one map comes to my mind. So y waste time and money on names???

The people who fought and died for the freedom of this country fought for the nation and not for its name. We should always respect our country should try to make it a better place to live.
:cheers:

This kalam palam is as much muslim as sharukh khan or salman khan. Keeping idols in home and praising them invalidates your identity. Having a muslim name is one thing but practice makes you muslim not the name alone. On that scale even we fare equally nil so lets not make it a hindu vs muslim debate. That idealogy has been long dead ever since Jinnah went to his grave and Ghandi went to his pyre.

You are a no-one to pass judgement on one of the best citizens,one of the best MUslims India has ever produced. SO chill.

Duh...Geographical boudaries doesnt make you the owner of a culture...it is who practises the culture to-date that determines the owner.And as such we r the rightful owners for everything that took place in "present day "Pakistan till 712 AD (the year Bin Qasim landed in Sindh).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom