What's new

India to acquire three Admiral Grigorovich-class frigates from Russia

There are NO discounts

If we are getting hulls and then completing the ship it's going to be costly as transporting hull also incur a cost. Besides, I still believe unless we licence produce in Indian shipyard like L&T or Pipavav there is no point of buying just 3 hulls and completing here.

Folks must remember any Pvt sector shipyard when it builds for the first time takes time to learn the skills and solve all teething issues. So here we will make out shipyard learn half baked things as hull is completely Russian and yet project completion will take time.

In the end it's our loss of time and money. Best would be a deal where there is a further 4-6 orders into the shipyard selected.

No way we should pay $ 3Bn when our IAC esrimated costs around $4.7Bn.
Where did you get the value of $3bn?

Where did you get the value of $3bn?
Yes I edited the post now as I made one gross error.. it's for all ships not one ship..

Last year Reliance defence was talking about a 4 ship deal for Rs 30000 crs or 7500 crs approx a ship.

So around $1.1 Bn per ship is the correct estimate ..

Apologies to all for posting $3Bn bcz that's for all ships not one ship

Here
According to official sources, India is likely to sign a multi-billion dollar deal for four improved Krivak or Talwar class stealth frigates with Russia — expected to cost upwards of USD 3 billion — during the PM’s visit.
http://m.thehindu.com/news/national...eal-for-4-stealth-frigates/article8014794.ece

And this

Four 'Talwar class' frontline warships will be built at Reliance Group's recently ... for manufacturing Rs 30,000 crore worth of four frigates for the Indian Navy
http://googleweblight.com/?lite_url...387616&sig=AKOVD65epIC0VJL1Fy390ixEbJ811UEqdQ

Yes I edited the post now as I made one gross error.. it's for all ships not one ship..

Last year Reliance defence was talking about a 4 ship deal for Rs 30000 crs or 7500 crs approx a ship.

Here
According to official sources, India is likely to sign a multi-billion dollar deal for four improved Krivak or Talwar class stealth frigates with Russia — expected to cost upwards of USD 3 billion — during the PM’s visit.
http://m.thehindu.com/news/national...eal-for-4-stealth-frigates/article8014794.ece

And this

Four 'Talwar class' frontline warships will be built at Reliance Group's recently ... for manufacturing Rs 30,000 crore worth of four frigates for the Indian Navy
http://googleweblight.com/?lite_url...387616&sig=AKOVD65epIC0VJL1Fy390ixEbJ811UEqdQ
are these the talwar frigates by any chance ?

Last edited:

Here

And this

So in addition to 3 Hulls from Russia, Reliance will be building 4 More? A Total of 13 Ships?

are these the talwar frigates by any chance ?

Yes..

So in addition to 3 Hulls from Russia, Reliance will be building 4 More? A Total of 13 Ships?

Yes that was the original plan. We were suppose to have 3 made in Russia, 4 in Reliance Pipavav and follow on 3 more ..that's besides 3 that's in service

Now I don't know if we are getting the 4 and follow on things as reports only talks about 3 hulls transferred to India to be made in India.

It's a similar discussion where 12 kilo 636 subs were suppose to be made by Reliance Defense with a couple of subs to be made in Russia directly..

like always there is too much hype in media but we know we have not allocated budget for such acquisition... So don know if we would really go through this. Perhaps we may sign a MOU agreement and formally start the payment process next financial year

that solves the confusion then. why dont india built more of them then since they have built them in india before. or even the bigger project 17 shivalik class frigate they are bigger and only $350 ish each
Indian Navy has its own goal for 2020 and beyond. We are planning to have 200 war ships by 2026/28. Our shipyards are already jam packed. This was an offer recently as engines are from Ukraine India is the only choice for Russians to make use of these vessels. And obviously this deal ones with more tech transfer goodies than Taiwan we bought directly from Russia. Hopefully follow on should be ordered for same hull with more improved weapon systems and electronics.

Get ready for big bang Russian shopping list guys. Lots of news on this regards to follow. . . US can't match Russia in Indian defence market. Not today not tomorrow and never. Even with current weapons and deals Russia will dominate Indian defence space for the next 5 decades.

I don't get the logic here. If you have indigenous capability in frigates, then why are you still buying Russian? You have the Shivalik class right? 3 billion is alot of money. My sincere suggestion to Indians, stop this bullshit, invest 100-200 million and upgrade a private yard, then build the Shivalik. All I can see here is Indians paying tribute to appease the Russians.

You have access to good Israeli electronics, why settle for lower grade Russian junk. China stopped buying any Russian naval electronics long ago. I like to mess up you guys to teach you humility, but it makes me sad seeing you guys getting fleeced by a former 'superpower'. The money could have been spent hiring Indians, giving income to thousands of workers.

well yes india buy too much you will have hole in the budget
remember you stiil have the deal with isreal to do

I don't get the logic here. If you have indigenous capability in frigates, then why are you still buying Russian? You have the Shivalik class right? 3 billion is alot of money. My sincere suggestion to Indians, stop this bullshit, invest 100-200 million and upgrade a private yard, then build the Shivalik. All I can see here is Indians paying tribute to appease the Russians.

You have access to good Israeli electronics, why settle for lower grade Russian junk. China stopped buying any Russian naval electronics long ago. I like to mess up you guys to teach you humility, but it makes me sad seeing you guys getting fleeced by a former 'superpower'. The money could have been spent hiring Indians, giving income to thousands of workers.
yes im sure the kolkata is beter 3 bilion can be invested on more importent things

Thanks for the tag. Missed this out

i already mention in private shipyard L&T or pipavav shipyard give them 3 -3 each

LPDs plus SSNs SSBNs ... They are busy

that solves the confusion then. why dont india built more of them then since they have built them in india before. or even the bigger project 17 shivalik class frigate they are bigger and only $350 ish each

Problem was the lack of clarity in GoI over going for private players. The pressure from PSUs was too high. Now, with picture cleared up regarding entry of private players,capacity building is being undertaken.
L&T is busy withLPDs and SSN SSBNs(?) It's more of lack of space. The mandate is being shifted from control of IOR to power projection into Pacific and show of flag in SCS while assuming a dissuasive and if need be, sea denial posturing on western seaboard till Aden and African coast

Is it possible to fit these with US made gas turbines.

I wish we could. Russia/Ukrainian engines are good, but American are way better!!!

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom