What's new

India test fires first underwater Brahmos cruise missile

May be its a rare scenario for us when ,we have the weapon system ready,but has to wait for the platform!

It is not like that really. The undersea launched Brahmos is not fully operationalised yet. Just as S-1, S-2 and S-3 are still not. Somewhere we'll see the convergence in the near future; say 2-3 years on.

and which subs will have K series and Nirbhay?

I thought we cleared that on the Nirbhay thread.........

Arihant class submarines will house the K-series missiles and possibly the Nirbhay.

Where as P-75 I which will probably be Attack submarines like the Scorpene Class, will house the BrahMos for attacking surface combatants, submarines, et cetra.

our navy shining: k-15:-750 k-4:-3500 k-5:-5000 and we can get trident 2:-11000 km like England ???

The caption at the foot clearly says its meant for ships.
So why would you come and re-invent the wheel?
Are you here for show off or a flop show?

Neither, dude. Why just toss in something or the other just like that.
And since you are on the subject; please enlighten us which part of the launcher will need to be different on an undersea version of the Brahmos VLS?
Then we'll get to know whether the wheel needs to be re-invented; fully, partly or not.......

And since you are on the subject; please enlighten us which part of the launcher will need to be different on an undersea version of the Brahmos VLS?
Then we'll get to know whether the wheel needs to be re-invented; fully, partly or not.......

Why would you consider me to be at yr beck n call?

exactly, the booster stage is part of the launch tubes or the launch mechanism as such.. The blast of gases is supposed to thrust the missile over surface and the only extra sensor i think needed here is to trigger the ignition of motors after it is over the surface.. otherwise I dont there is any difference as such... Also, being a sea based it might have different flight path and guidance mechanism which i would say will be minor..

exactly, the booster stage is part of the launch tubes or the launch mechanism as such.. The blast of gases is supposed to thrust the missile over surface and the only extra sensor i think needed here is to trigger the ignition of motors after it is over the surface.. otherwise I dont there is any difference as such... Also, being a sea based it might have different flight path and guidance mechanism which i would say will be minor..

@peep. You've made valid points indeed.
However those are are part of the Missile's FCS and Guidance Systems. What I meant was inherent differences in construction of the VLS module itself in order to render it suitable for submerged operations or undersea launch. Lets see if anybody is able to throw some light on that.

The initiator of that particular discussion seems to have 'cried off' any further contributions.

Last edited by a moderator:

I guess booster must be different in both case , under water means more pressure. Any ways just seen this news flashing congrats to all.

@peep. You've made valid points indeed.
However those are are part of the Missile's FCS and Guidance Systems. What I meant was inherent differences in construction of the VLS module itself in order to render it suitable for submerged operations or undersea launch. Lets see if anybody is able to throw some light on that.

The initiator of that particular discussion seems to have 'cried off' any further contributions.

Kaptaan sahab, I know almost nothing about a VLS, here are results of me wearing my thinking topi!

1. An undersea VLS must be a "cold launch" type. Thus the addition of gas generator and associated equipments.

2. Dealing with the inflow of sea water at the time of the launch.

3. Isolating other missiles in the same tube from sea water after launch.

There must be many more differences, your inputs are much appreciated.

my reply:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/241202-india-test-fires-first-underwater-brahmos-cruise-missile-3.html#post4056675

was almost missing you....:butcher:
Anyways the 6 new-generation stealth submarines under Project-75 India will be taking care of the VLS for the missiles.

JOKE of the Century.............:omghaha:

First Country to test fire this type of Missile ............Rent-A Submarine(From Russia) trying to impress.......others.

Donated Missile test,from Rent-A Submarine.

Kaptaan sahab, I know almost nothing about a VLS, here are results of me wearing my thinking topi!

1. An undersea VLS must be a "cold launch" type. Thus the addition of gas generator and associated equipments.

Great Points! :tup:
@ganimi kawa and @peep; We've pretty much the answer that we were seeking in the post above. In case of a ship-board launcher the VLS module will need to be weather-tight in a Marine environment. The VLS module in a sub will have to function under the surface in a pressure that will be maybe 6-10 times atmos pres or more. So it will be water-tight to higher pressures to start with. Then ejection gases required (cold launch) will have to factor in that difference in pressure also. Plus the launch tube when opened below the surface; and after ejection of the missile will experience flooding. That has to be handled since that will affect both the buoyancy and the trim of the dived sub. That will be substantially different from the VLS module of a surface combattant. Similarly, that VLS will be different from the Launcher tubes of the Ground Launched Brahmos on the Tatra Trucks. :D

Great Points! :tup:
@ganimi kawa and @peep; We've pretty much the answer that we were seeking in the post above. In case of a ship-board launcher the VLS module will need to be weather-tight in a Marine environment. The VLS module in a sub will have to function under the surface in a pressure that will be maybe 6-10 times atmos pres or more. So it will be water-tight to higher pressures to start with. Then ejection gases required (cold launch) will have to factor in that difference in pressure also. Plus the launch tube when opened below the surface; and after ejection of the missile will experience flooding. That has to be handled since that will affect both the buoyancy and the trim of the dived sub. That will be substantially different from the VLS module of a surface combattant. Similarly, that VLS will be different from the Launcher tubes of the Ground Launched Brahmos on the Tatra Trucks. :D

JOKE of the Century.............:omghaha:

First Country to test fire this type of Missile ............Rent-A Submarine(From Russia) trying to impress.......others.

Donated Missile test,from Rent-A Submarine.

Another Poor Joke from Rent-a-Fool of PDF??

A Good Development which would have great significance in future.

This test would speed up the integration of smaller Brahmos-3 into Submarine torpedo tubes once the missile is ready.

Infact we might see Sub-launch version of Brahmos-3 much before in service than the Sub-launched original Brahmos.
Due to Delays in the implementation of Project-75I.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom