What's new

India test fires Agni-2 with range more than 2000 Km.

India test fires n-capable Agni-II missile

Bhubaneswar: India Sunday test-fired its nuclear-capable Agni-II strategic ballistic missile from a military base in Odisha, a defence official said.

The test was conducted from Wheeler's Island in Bhadrak district, around 200 km from here, by army personnel as part of routine user-trials, M.V.K.V. Prasad, director of the Integrated Test Range, told IANS.

"The test was successful," he said.

The medium-range missile with a range of over 2,000 km has already been inducted into the army, and is part of the Strategic Forces arsenal for nuclear deterrence. The Agni-II is part of India's Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme.

The two-stage surface-to-surface missile, equipped with an advanced high-accuracy navigation system and guided by a novel state-of-the-art command and control system, is powered by a solid rocket propellant system.

The missile weighs 17 tonnes and its range can be increased to 3,000 km by reducing the payload. It can be fired from both rail and road mobile launchers. It takes only 15 minutes for the missile to be readied for firing.

India test fires n-capable Agni-II missile | Zee News

Although the question isn't directed towards me, but of course A4 can replace A2. In my opinion, since DRDO and IA (SFC) don't have a headache for budget, following missiles should be retired and replaced as soon as possible:

-A1 with Shaurya
-A2 with A4
-A3 with A5

The mentioned respective systems are similar in dimensions so the SFC should not go through much trouble in re-assigning previous missile groups. However their RVs are different.
Really appreciate your reply as you are one of the most knowledgeable poster when it comes to missiles IMO.

Just a routine test. DRDO usually tests each and every Missile at least once a year.
It wasn't DRDO mate but SFC. SFC usually choose any random missile from lot and test it.

Although the question isn't directed towards me, but of course A4 can replace A2. In my opinion, since DRDO and IA (SFC) don't have a headache for budget, following missiles should be retired and replaced as soon as possible:

-A1 with Shaurya
-A2 with A4
-A3 with A5

The mentioned respective systems are similar in dimensions so the SFC should not go through much trouble in re-assigning previous missile groups. However their RVs are different.

Shaurya and Pragati are dead projects now. No, end user in Indian Forces want that.

Firstly, it require to replace Prithvi series first before Agni.

-A1 with Shaurya
-A2 with A4
-A3 with A5

A3 has a payload of 2.5t vs 1t for A5 so no replacement there.

Shaurya and Pragati are dead projects now. No, end user in Indian Forces want that.

Firstly, it require to replace Prithvi series first before Agni.
How come they are dead projects?
A3 has a payload of 2.5t vs 1t for A5 so no replacement there.
That depends on the user requirement. India will have thermonuclear RVs weighing much under 1000kg pretty soon, so there is no need for such large single payload. And if you take a closer look at all the recent platforms (A4, A5, A6, SLBM), all of them deliver RVs weighing 1000kg or less.

Because no one wants that.
Pretty strange. Probably because Shaurya doesn't provides Indian SFC with an option it didn't have before, as Agni-I can still do the same amount of damage as Shaurya without any difficulty, and the cost of replacement might be too high.

How come they are dead projects?

That depends on the user requirement. India will have thermonuclear RVs weighing much under 1000kg pretty soon, so there is no need for such large single payload. And if you take a closer look at all the recent platforms (A4, A5, A6, SLBM), all of them deliver RVs weighing 1000kg or less.
A3 could be used to deliver MIRVED warheads. And the proposed A6 has a payload of 3t not 1t.

Pretty strange. Probably because Shaurya doesn't provides Indian SFC with an option it didn't have before, as Agni-I can still do the same amount of damage as Shaurya without any difficulty, and the cost of replacement might be too high.

Shaurya is a quasi ballistic. Instead of Shaurya,, SFC wants hypersonic cruise missile, the BrahMos 2 will serve that purpose.

A3 could be used to deliver MIRVED warheads. And the proposed A6 has a payload of 3t not 1t.
Could be, but that is precisely what A6 is being developed for, no? Why waste resources on modifying a missile to deliver MIRVs 2000km shorter?
Agreed, A6 will have 3000kg payload. But thats not what I said, I referred to RVs being under 1000kg, which in this case could be 3x1000 or 6x500.
Shaurya is a quasi ballistic. Instead of Shaurya,, SFC wants hypersonic cruise missile, the BrahMos 2 will serve that purpose.
Whatever you say boss. :drag:

Could be, but that is precisely what A6 is being developed for, no? Why waste resources on modifying a missile to deliver MIRVs 2000km shorter?
Agreed, A6 will have 3000kg payload. But thats not what I said, I referred to RVs being under 1000kg, which in this case could be 3x1000 or 6x500.

Whatever you say boss. :drag:

The Shurya was first tested in 2008 by DRDO. But, not a single time SFC tested that, what this shows that.

Even in case of Prahaar, just a single time it tested in 2011. Then what happen? No user trials, no further testing. I think Indian Forces dont like the concept of TBM, and even low range conventional missile.

Back
Top Bottom