What's new

India: Teenage Girl Raped Twice and Burned Alive in West Bengal

Actually, India has one of the lowest rates of 'reported' rapes. The culture of India is such that many violent sexual crimes are not considered rape because women are uneducated. Furthermore, the police are nothing but thugs so victims don't report.

There is an interesting study on reported sexual crimes in India: more men admit to COMMITTING sexual crimes than there are women reporting them. This tells you that rapes are hugely underreported, by some estimate, 90% of rapes go unreported.

Men Report Abusing More Frequently Than Women Report Abuse - India Real Time - WSJ

http://www.icrw.org/files/publications/Masculinity Study_WEB Version.pdf

Men Report Abusing More Frequently Than Women Report Abuse
BN-AY582_iwomen_G_20140102071401.jpg

Sajjad Hussain/Agence France-Presse/Getty Images
People held candles in solidarity with the young woman who was gang-raped and murdered in New Delhi in December 2012.
Men report committing sexual violence at a higher rate than women report experiencing it in some Indian states, according to a study on masculinity and intimate partner violence aimed at uncovering the extent of under reporting of abuse against women.

A growing number of women in urban India are coming forward to report sexual harassment to the authorities, but those living in rural parts of the country are still largely reluctant to report abuse. Overall, women’s rights groups say, the rate of abuse reported by the female population is an underestimate of the actual figure.

Researchers asked men taking part in the study whether they had perpetrated emotional, physical, or sexual violence against an intimate partner in the past 12 months. Women in the survey were asked whether they had experienced such violence at the hands of an intimate partner over the same period. The idea was to tease out reasons why women under report abuse by comparing their answers.

“Women don’t even recognize certain forms of sexual violence… they think it’s their role to have sex with their husband even if it’s coercive. They don’t even recognize the concept of marital rape,” said Priya Nanda of the International Center for Research on Women, a research organization that carried out field research among 9,205 men and 3,158 women in the age group 18 to 49 across seven Indian states at the end of 2012 in collaboration with the United Nations Population Fund.

Marital rape is not prohibited under Indian law, despite campaigns by women’s groups to include it in legal reforms passed in 2013.

“The men who report that they have committed sexual violence break down and express guilt, but very often, they are products of violence and extreme social inequities themselves,” said Ms. Nanda. “We’re not excusing men for raping women, but it’s important to recognize the awful experiences they’ve been through,” she added.

The main reason that women don’t report violence is the social stigma attached to doing so, said Ms. Nanda. Her study, published in November, found that, on average, 31% of women reported experiencing violence at the hands of an intimate partner and 34% of men reported committing it in the last year.

The highest levels of reporting for both men and women were recorded in Orissa in eastern India.

In Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra, men were more likely to report carrying out violence against a partner than women were to report being abused, but in Orissa, Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan, the opposite was the case.

The study also found that men who had witnessed violence or discrimination against their sisters or mothers in their childhood internalize this and in some cases adopt “rigidly masculine” behaviors, including a preference for male children and tendency to carry out violence against an intimate partner. In Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Orissa, the proportion of rigidly masculine men is higher amongst those who witnessed discrimination as children, but in Punjab and Haryana the opposite is true.

Men’s ideas about masculinity need to be understood and reformed in order to change the traditional gender norms that lead to patriarchy and male dominance over women, according to the authors of the study. Men can have an influence on gender equality, said Ms. Nanda.

To challenge societal ideas of masculinity, the ICRW has started a program called Gender Equality Movement in Schools for children between the ages of 12 and 14. The GEMS curriculum, implemented in 250 schools in Mumbai, challenges ideas about societal roles of men and women and teaches boys why they should treat girls with respect, said Ms. Nanda.

“From the earliest age, boys get cues that if they cry they are sissies, not manly enough,” said Ms. Nanda, adding that the schools where the program has been implemented have reported more gender equitable relations between pupils.

“There is just not enough being done to change the thinking, attitudes and behaviors of men,” said Ms. Nanda, whose study finds that attempts to address gender equality and the preference for male children have tended to focus on women, but most often, men are the ones who influence women’s decisions and actions.

Programs such as GEMS are part of a concerted effort international nonprofits are making to engage men in the conversation about violence against women. “We are working with all men, including those who are the perpetrators of violence, to ensure that boys and men understand what gender equality and gender relations means,” said Babatunde Osotimehin, the executive director of the UNFPA.

The UNFPA also works with the police to ensure that they take reports of violence seriously, said Mr. Osotimehin. At monthly meetings the Delhi Police Commissioner organizes for the city’s police force, the UNFPA provides voluntary guidelines on how to improve gender-sensitivity training of police officers and safety for women in public places, he added.

Over a year since the brutal gang rape of a 23-year-old student on a moving bus in Delhi, the numbers reporting violence have increased. In Delhi, for example, 1,493 rapes were reported to police in the first 11 months of last year,more than double the number reported in the same period of 2012. Complaints of sexual harassment and other crimes against women have also risen sharply.

“In India, the cultural context prevents people from coming forward. But what has happened [in Dec. 2012] has really encouraged more people to begin to think about reporting violence against women,” said Mr. Osotimehin.

Follow Shanoor and India Real Time on Twitter @shanoorseervai and @WSJIndia.
lol,do you want me share similar reports about Pakistan,China and USA....

That's not the point. We are discussing India here. But if you insist, show me those reports.
Pakistan: Rape as a Tool for Conversion to Islam
pakistanwomenrape-t-ap.001.jpg
For Zubaida Bibi, a Christian woman working in a garment factory in the Korangi Industrial Area of Karachi, Pakistan, the workday on October 12 at Crescent Enterprises probably began like most. Her job as a custodian helped make it possible for her to care for her children. But before her shift was over, a Muslim worker at the factory attempted to rape her, and then slit her throat, leaving four orphans without a mother to care for them. And the case of Zubaida Bibi is far from unique: In Pakistan, the phenomena of Islamic men raping Christian women is becoming more common.

An October 18 story for PakistanChristianPost.com relates some of the details of the tragic death of Zubaida Bibi:

On October 12, 2011, during duty hours, Zubaida Bibi entered to clean factory bathrooms when one Muslim employee named Mohammad Asif followed her and locked door behind him.

When Mohammad Asif attempted to sexually assault Zubaida Bibi, she cried for help on which Mohammad Asif took out a dagger and slit the throat of Zubaida Bibi.

The factory management called police help and Mohammad Asif was arrested on crime scene where throat cut dead body of Zubaida Bibi was lying on floor.

One might want to imagine that the case of Zubaida Bibi was isolated, or that the assault and murder of this woman had nothing to do with the religious beliefs of the alleged murderer and his victim. However, the truth is that in Islamic societies such as Pakistan, it is not at all uncommon for Muslims to get away without punishment for raping Christian women.

The situation in Pakistan has reached the point that at Persecution.org, a website for International Christian Concern, it was noted in an article for October 4:

Many Christian girls are raped at the hands of Muslims in Pakistan. Rape has been used as a weapon of persecution against Christian girls in Pakistan, a country where Christians are treated as third-class citizens. In the Muslim majority country, Christian girls are particularly vulnerable to these types of crimes because Muslim authorities are reluctant to protect them when their rights are violated by Muslims.

According to Compass Direct News, a Christian mother of five said that she was raped by two Pakistani Muslims on September 15th. In January, Muhammad Aftab was arrested after raping six Christian girls at different times.

The president of the Pakistan Christian Congress, Dr. Nazir Bhatti, told us, “The incidents of rape and enforced conversion of Christian women to Islam is rising every year. 99.9% of rape cases go unreported in Pakistan… If a Muslim man rapes a Christian girl, then he easily forces her to convert to Islam, marries her and covers up his heinous crime of rape under Islamic law. Some cases of rapes of Christian women are reported, but the majority of such rapes are never reported.”

The Pakistan Christian Post article regarding Zubaida Bibi made essentially the same observation:

There are rising incidents of sexual harassment against Christian women workers on workplaces in Pakistan which go unreported due to cultural and social values. The influential Muslims feel free to kidnap and rape Christian women in Pakistan where Islamic laws protect culprits. In kidnap and rape cases against Christian women, the Muslim culprits walk free from courts which keep victims silent on such abuses.

A report from the Barnabas Fund was released in September, detailing the widespread problem in Pakistani society of Muslim men kidnapping Christian girls and forcing them to marry the very men who abducted them. According to the report, the horrifying tragedy of such a crime is played out hundreds of times every year in Pakistan:

The abduction and forced conversion to Islam of Christian girls who are then married against their will to their captors is a disturbing and growing trend in Pakistan; it is estimated that there are over 700 cases every year. …

The forced conversions and marriages are often carried out by influential Muslim families who threaten and severely beat the young girls to frighten them into compliance, as seemingly happened in the case of Farah Hatim. The authorities rarely take action, and often the young girls never return to their families unless they manage to escape their captors. The girls are often raped and become pregnant, making it almost impossible for the courts to release them.

One father was told by police to “forget his daughters” after the two Christian sisters were abducted, raped and forcibly converted in Faisalabad in May.

Even when a captive does manage to escape, it is by no means the end of her suffering. If a woman leaves her new Muslim family and Islam to return to her Christian background, she is considered an apostate — even though she was forcibly converted — and is therefore liable to be killed.

Such widespread and systematic criminal activity nevertheless remains virtually unknown outside the Muslim world, and attempts to highlight the tragic plight of Christians living under Islam is often dismissed out of hand. However, such crimes — and the attitudes which make them possible — are hardly isolated to Pakistani society; just last year, a controversy erupted in the United Kingdom when a guest on a show for the Islam Channel allegedly advocated marital rape. An observer may reasonably ask: Is it really difficult to believe that if a husband is permitted to rape his wife, is it really difficult to justify the use of such a crime as a means of converting a woman to Islam?

The horrifying case of the murder of Zubaida Bibi is made all the more terrifying by the commonality of the crime which motivated it. Foreign intervention cannot bring about a change in a society which is so fundamentally influenced by a religion which justifies such crimes; but for those who do not yet live under Islam, Bibi’s death is a powerful reminder that the religion embraced by an individual — or a society — shapes the entire lives of those who adhere to that religion.

I was drugged and raped on way to Delhi from Mathura, Polish woman says - The Times of India

Delhi men at work again. Keeping the rape tradition alive and kicking no wonder more and more people are calling us a country of rape culture

Good god, will this ever end?

Are Indian men endeavoring to rape women from every country in the world? So far, they have raped American, British, Swiss, Dutch, Italian, South Korean, and Chinese in the past year, and now add Polish to the list.

Good god, will this ever end?

Are Indian men endeavoring to rape women from every country in the world? So far, they have raped American, British, Swiss, Dutch, Italian, South Korean, and Chinese in the past year, and now add Polish to the list.

At least it shows we are not Racists :D But seriously though this was supposed to happen one day or the other. The economy is improving women are working but mindset of society hasn't changed. And we are stuck in the middle. Not western enough not conservative enough. I wish India was like East Asian countries Thailand South Korea Japan :/

At least it shows we are not Racists :D But seriously though this was supposed to happen one day or the other. The economy is improving women are working but mindset of society hasn't changed. And we are stuck in the middle. Not western enough not conservative enough. I wish India was like East Asian countries Thailand South Korea Japan :/

Who would have thought that being horny overcomes racial barriers.

Are you implying that Indian culture condones raping women because they now have careers?

Is there not a proper morgue available? What incompetence!

WB rape: series of police blunders may affect probe - Hindustan Times

Bengal gang-rape and murder victim’s foetus in danger of decay at police store room
The foetus removed from the West Bengal gang-rape and murder victim during autopsy is in danger of decomposition and may not yield DNA for forensic purposes given the way the police have stored it at a police station, HT has learnt.

A police officer wishing anonymity said the foetus was kept in the store room of Airport Police Station for 48 hours. The norm is to preserve it in

db464ab9-0939-45ca-ba28-92d1129dfdecwallpaper1.jpg

Eminent film director Aparna Sen, painter Samir Aich and intellectuals take part in a protest rally against rape of a 16-year-old girl, in Kolkata. (PTI Photo)

sub-zero temperature in a bacteria-free environment.

This is one more accusation against the police that appears to have carried out the investigation into the shocking incident in a very casual manner from the beginning.

Eleven days after the girl was set afire by two of the accused, the police are yet to consult any forensic expert. They also did not film the autopsy, which according to the human rights commission is mandatory in cases of unnatural deaths. But the callous handling of the foetus seems to top it all.

The tissue samples of the foetus were sent to Central Forensic State Laboratory (CFSL) on January 3, a good four days after the girl died at the RG Kar Hospital on December 31.
Read: Gang-rape victim’s parents to meet President on Tuesday, CPI(M) suspects she was raped thrice
"Whenever we hand over tissue samples to the police after postmortem, we inform them about the guidelines on how to preserve the samples," said Professor Sovan Das, head department of forensic medicine at RG Kar Hospital.

Das said the tissues shall be kept in refrigerators at below 0 degree centigrade temperature, as a decomposed sample can yield erroneous results when the DNA test is performed.

"We only tag a label and seal the container carrying the samples. It’s the responsibility of the police to preserve the samples till they are sent to a forensic laboratory," Das said.

He said the possibility of extracting DNA from the tissues for tests becomes very low if the samples are not preserved properly.

"We advise the police to submit samples to CFSL as fast as possible in order to get authentic results. I do not know whether they have done it as per our guidelines," Das said.

He said while bone marrow or tooth pulp can be preserved in a normal refrigerator, a foetus must be preserved in sub-zero environment.

The victim’s father alleged on Saturday that the police are not investigating the case properly.

"They are yet to call forensic experts to collect samples from our house in the airport area where the criminals had set my daughter on fire. Police are also yet to seal the area to protect evidences. As a result, anyone can easily tamper with the evidence from the spot," he said.

Gang-Rape In India Influenced My Decision To Study at UoN ‹ Impact Magazine

GANG-RAPE IN INDIA INFLUENCED MY DECISION TO STUDY AT UON
80723474_8e25561f8f_b-610x350.jpg

When I first stepped outside London Heathrow Airport, I dreaded the cold weather and incessant rains. But, in many ways it was a relief from the overcrowded lanes, dusty roads and loud train stations of India.

As my country made headlines across the world revealing brutal crimes against women, I decided to explore the freedom that Britain had to offer me. My decision to study abroad at the University of Nottingham was highly influenced by the 16th December gang-rape in 2012 and its consequences.

My bubble of ignorance had burst and I saw India in a new light.

My bubble of ignorance had burst and I saw India in a new light. Life in Delhi had changed drastically for many women and I was one of them. It affected me because at the time the girl was raped, she was travelling with a male companion.

My decision to study abroad at the University of Nottingham was highly influenced by the 16th December gang-rape in 2012 and its consequences.

In India, women take many steps to be safe- one of them is to get the boys to drop you home. Usually, we feel safe in the company of our male friends. But her male companion was brutally beaten up. It was also only 9:30 at night- a time when me and my friends used to venture out of our homes to experience Delhi’s many clubs, restaurants, and pubs. Never before had I so deeply questioned my status as a woman in India than after that incident. That day changed my perspective.

Never before had I so deeply questioned my status as a woman in India than after that incident.

Now I thought twice about venturing out in the evenings, even as early as 6pm. While going to college, I would notice the men glaring at me in a lewd manner. I was pushed and groped in the Delhi metro. I noticed how some men would sit on seats reserved for women and refuse to get up when old ladies requested them to. I shuddered at the thought of using public transport.

While in metropolitan cities many women travel daily by local buses, in small towns like Agra you would only spot one or two. Despite being in a girls’ college, I abstained from wearing shorts and skirts to college as I feared travelling the narrow stretch between my accommodation and college in a rikshaw. I did not want to draw unnecessary attention to myself.

I feared travelling the narrow stretch between my accommodation and college in a rikshaw. I did not want to draw unnecessary attention to myself.

I wanted to hide my face when school boys took pictures of me without my permission in tourist spots in smaller towns. I could not understand why. I was dressed very modestly in jeans and a t-shirt. The harassment worsened when the boys decided to follow me and my family around the entire monument.

I could not understand why. I was dressed very modestly in jeans and a t-shirt.

When I came to Britain, the men here would offer to help me with my luggage and hold doors for me, and it reminded me of an incident in Delhi. I was carrying a heavy suitcase of 50 kg that I had to lift into the baggage scanner of the Delhi metro, and five men passed by ignoring my pleas for help. Finally, an elderly man helped me to lift it into the scanner.

I derived the most comfort though from the fact that none of the men here stared. They passed friendly smiles as opposed the salacious ones in India.

Adding to my happiness was that I could wear whatever I wanted and the only limitation was the cold weather. I did not have to worry about hailing a cab after a night out. In Delhi, my friends would be shocked if I announced plans of hailing a cab at night.

I did not have to worry about hailing a cab after a night out. In Delhi, my friends would be shocked if I announced plans of hailing a cab at night.

Many atrocities towards women like dowries, domestic violence, female foeticide, female infanticide, and acid attacks occur in India. Marital rape is still not a crime there. However, there are many Indians who are fighting for better treatment of women in my country. These include many men as well.

Awareness is being raised and the objectification of women in many Bollywood movies is now a much talked about issue in the media. Women’s organizations like CREA, Feminist India and Swabhiman are spreading awareness of women’s rights in rural and urban areas.

However, there are many Indians who are fighting for better treatment of women in my country.

The media is taking huge steps in this sphere by initiating social debates and campaigns. Web –based opinion platforms like www.youthkiawaz.com have given girls a chance to express their opinion towards misogyny and patriarchy in Indian society.

Almost every major magazine has published feature stories about the conditions of women in India. Features on the plight of rape victims and the inaction of the police are common. The Outlook Magazine lately featured an article about bold Bollywood actresses who are daring enough to break the Indian stereotype of women being shy, coy, and submissive.

Widely read magazine India Today published a cover story about the new class of Indian women who are willing to fight till they get their rights. University students all across India have conducted candle light marches for rape victims who succumbed to their injuries. There was massive media coverage of the One Billion Rising initiated by Eve Ensler in Delhi in 2013 and there are demands for introducing gender sensitization programs in schools.

The university students all across India have taken out candle light marches for rape victims who succumbed to their injuries.

Of course, there are plenty of Indian men who are chivalrous and respectful. All my male friends treated me with respect and went out of their way to drop me home after late nights. However, such men are a minority. Every country has its flaws, and unfortunately patriarchal attitudes towards women are the blemishes on the face of mine.

I hope that when I return after two years, there is a marked difference in the conditions of women in India. As for now, it’s been a year since 16th December 2012 and irrespective of the legal changes little has changed socially.

Ila Tyagi

Photo Credit: Saad.Akhtar via Compfight cc

Tags: 16th December 2012Ila TyagiIndiaRapeWomen

Who would have thought that being horny overcomes racial barriers.

Are you implying that Indian culture condones raping women because they now have careers?

No. Indian Men haven't obviously moved on with the times.

Back
Top Bottom