What's new

India takes up AWACS programme, can penetrate enemy territory

INR 6000Cr how much in $?

$1.2 Billion USD.

eije last'e je bomb tar kotha boleche na saraswat je indegenously built & test koreche... ta ota ki pakistani der banano H-2/H-4 bomb er moto??? H-2 bomb 60km glide kote pare,while H-4 120km glide korte pare...r ei glide bomb diye ki kaj hoye??? tahole missile diye'e to hoye jai.... LGB r jodi JDAM er moto kichu banale kaj'e dito na ki?? :)

Glide bomb er CEP onek besi hoy, it's always better to go for powered flight.

So where will these fit in vis-à-vis the phalcons? Isn't that a duplication of capabilities?

Is the IAF is going to operate 3 (!) different kinds of AEWAC planes? Damn!

Can somebody explain why the AEWAC and AWAC perform different ROLES, as emphasized by Mr Saraswat? I understand their capabilities are different, but what differing ROLES do play?

Does the USAF use anything other than E-3 sentries? He says that "all over the world AWACS and AEWACs are used in tandem". Can somebody give an example of that?

This isn't a duplication of services as the IAF will only ever get 5 PHALCON A-50EI AWACS and this new AWACS from DRDO will be supplementing the PHALCONS in service. 5 PHALCON AWACS are not enough for a nation as large as India as such these program will bring in AWACS in the required numbers.

It will be interesting to see what platform the DRDO select, I had heard the likes of the 787 and A310.

deleted..........

I looked up sources, and few things came up.

1. Rotodome generates lift to counter balance it's on weight, other platforms do not. And it saves weight.
2. Significantly cheaper that balanced beam versions.
3. Provides true 360 degree coverage, while balanced beam does have a blind spot (in X-band).

please give link for claim

This isn't a duplication of services as the IAF will only ever get 5 PHALCON A-50EI AWACS and this new AWACS from DRDO will be supplementing the PHALCONS in service. 5 PHALCON AWACS are not enough for a nation as large as India as such these program will bring in AWACS in the required numbers.

It will be interesting to see what platform the DRDO select, I had heard the likes of the 787 and A310.

well to my knowledge DRDO will be going for the A310 and its AWACS will be a X Band ASEA and Phalcon is L band Asea so there dont be any Duplication :cheers:

well to my knowledge DRDO will be going for the A310 and its AWACS will be a X Band ASEA and Phalcon is L band Asea so there dont be any Duplication :cheers:
Why A310? Would be great to see it based on 787- putting recent issues aside!

He says that "all over the world AWACS and AEWACs are used in tandem". Can somebody give an example of that?

Japan has four E-767 and 13 E-2C Hawkeyes:

5096508602_78695c8089_z.jpg

nmeii%20-%20japan%20e-2%20hawkeye%2001.jpg

Typical hi / lo mix, which is why IAF don't need an new type of aircraft with 360° dome, only to offer DRDO a chance to show off, at least unless they were meant to be shore based AWACS patrols. To cover the land borders in the west, north and east, we just need additional EMB 145s in higher numbers, next to the 5 x A50 Phalcons we already ordered.

@sancho what is the difference b/w an AWACS (Phalcons) & an AEW&C (built by DRDO)??? It is just there ranges are limited or some other difference as well??

Last edited by a moderator:
Noob Questions :

(a) What really is the difference between an AWAC & an AEWAC ?

(b) Why isn't DRDO partially privatized ?

Typical hi / lo mix, which is why IAF don't need an new type of aircraft with 360° dome, only to offer DRDO a chance to show off, at least unless they were meant to be shore based AWACS patrols. To cover the land borders in the west, north and east, we just need additional EMB 145s in higher numbers, next to the 5 x A50 Phalcons we already ordered.
Sir, do you really think 5 (3/4 ready at any one time) A-50EI PHALCON AWACS are enough for a nation the size of India? Didn't the IAF themselves say some time back they'd like to have at least 9-12 such larger airliner based AWACS but because of the DRDO promises the IAF has had to settle for 5 meaning there is still an open requirement for atleast 4-7 such sytems at least. Over time and certainly beyond 2020 the IAF will be expanding and looking to induct more and more such systems so it is smart that DRDO is taking on this work now to be able to meet future requirements.

@sancho what is the difference b/w an AWACS (Phalcons) & an AEW&C (built by DRDO)??? It is just there ranges are limited or some other difference as well??

Noob Questions :

(a) What really is the difference between an AWAC & an AEWAC ?

Answered- post #7
http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...an-penetrate-enemy-territory.html#post3844690

Last edited by a moderator:
AWACS have rotating dome with 360 degree coverage and much higher tracking range and can track many more targets that AEW&C. So the prices of AWACS are much higher than AEW&Cs.
Actually the radar-dome doesn't have to mechanically spin- the IAF's A-50EI with the EL/W-2090 PHALCON radar has radar T/R modules arranged in a triangle formation that are electronically steered offering 360" coverage with a fixed dome.

Actually the radar-dome doesn't have to mechanically spin- the IAF's A-50EI with the EL/W-2090 PHALCON radar has radar T/R modules arranged in a triangle formation that are electronically steered offering 360" coverage with a fixed dome.

Yes, but i was referring to the conventional method.

Sir, do you really think 5 (3/4 ready at any one time) A-50EI PHALCON AWACS are enough for a nation the size of India? Didn't the IAF themselves say some time back they'd like to have at least 9-12 such larger airliner based AWACS

IAF stated that they need around 15 AWACS aircrafts, without mentioning which size and as I said, when we talk about the Indo-Pak and the Indo-Chinese borders, as well as a useful number of EMB 145s, 5 Phalcons can be enough. Just imagine the Indo-Pak border, with 2 x EMB 145 DRDO AWACS flying at the same time + 1 x A50 Phalcon. The same combo at the Indo-Chinese border, which means 3 x AWACS providing good coverage alongside both borders, 2 x Phalcons in the air and 3 in reserve.

That's why I said, we don't need a new type for these borders, or a new plattform, unless we talk about shore based AWACS.

Back
Top Bottom