What's new

India Suddenly in Love with Sri Lanka

10lbomay25protest.jpg

CEPA_protest.jpg

DSC_0065-495x277.jpg

So what exactly are you trying to prove with all these photographs?

India optimistic about Sri Lanka''s post war economic growth

India today expressed optimism that the Sri Lankan economy, emerging from a three-decade conflict, would now be able to grow at a faster rate, and at the same time move towards a much-needed reconciliation to make all sections equal stakeholders in development.

Assuring full support to Sri Lanka in its efforts towards national reconciliation to enable Tamil and other communities to participate in development of the war-ravaged nation, Indian High Commissioner Ashok K Kantha said bilateral relations were growing at a fast pace.

"I have no doubt that it (Sri Lanka) can achieve a much faster growth (following the end of the war) and equally importantly move towards national reconciliation which will make it possible for all sections of society... contribute fully to development of the land as equal stakeholders," Kantha said.

Addressing a gathering of Malayalees to celebrate Onam, the first after the end of the armed conflict, Kantha said Sri Lanka which was growing at the rate of 6 per cent despite the conflict can now witness an accelerated growth.

"It is now an opportunity for the people of various communities in Sri Lanka to achieve their potential which is enormous," Kantha told the function organised by Colombo Malayalees Association (COMAL).

The Indian High Commissioner recalled that following the end of the war there had been several exchanges between the two countries.

"I have been very fortunate to come at a time when relations between our two countries are growing further.

Kantha said during his stay in the country, he could see there was a deep commitment on both sides to take the bilateral relationship forward.

"We believe as Sri Lanka with this very special moment in history can forge ahead, likewise the two countries must also together utilise this opportunity to put in place a partnership at even a higher level.

"That is what we are trying to achieve through our joint endeavours," Kantha said.

He also urged the organisation of Malayalees, a groping largely of expatriate Indians in Colombo, to play a leading role in ensuring that the fundamental strength of India-Sri Lanka relations which lies in people to people contacts is developed optimally.

India optimistic about Sri Lanka''s post war economic growth -  International News ? News ? MSN India

Dude,when did i stop Sri Lanka to co-operate with China?

I just posted my opinion that,Sri Lanka has been caught in the China magic against India and its result is visible in the posts of "Sri Lankan"

:hitwall:

Why are you so concerned for China-SriLanka relations,that you are fighting against me?
Buddy i didnt mean to fight with you but i find your attittude towards a sovereign nation(calling them small minded etc) a little arrogant and i am sure if indian government show that attittude we will get a middle finger from sri lankans instead of better relations.China is playing diplomatic moves very wisely and sri lankans cooperate with china because both countries benifit from that.Is there anything to blame sri lankans?

Why would the worlds 4th largest economy and 2nd fastest growing nation need SriLanka?

India did not become the what it is just out of thin air....Trade links and relationships with other countries are the reason for which India is developing.These relations become more important when the country in concern is a neighbouring country...
As i said,its one of our steps to tackle China,Sri Lanka is just a step up stone.
_______

It is not that simple...maybe somewhat other way around.

Our objective is to obtain a greater market for trade.China is one of the biggest player in the region.So,in order to obtain higher grounds,we need to compete with China...So tackling China is not exactly the cause,it rather might be the effect...
[/quote]

I am not a Anti-Indian, I always said India must win the TRUST of Sri Lanka

Because every one know here what happened in Sri Lanka for last 30 years, Sri Lanka always remember that

Exactly what has India ever done to loose the trust???

If you can point out then may be we can work upon that....

Exactly what has India ever done to loose the trust???

If you can point out then may be we can work upon that....

Simple India should assure Sri Lanka it won’t hurt Sri Lanka Directly or Indirectly

That’s All

Good move. . . We tamils not support ltte but killing of tamil people by lankans. Want good govt who listen to tamil people there:cry: hoping UN take action against war crimes of lankan army

Simple India should assure Sri Lanka it won’t hurt Sri Lanka Directly or Indirectly

That’s All

Why would any Srilanka need any such assurance from India all of a sudden.India is the country with which Srilanka has an FTA.India is the country with which Srilanka has the biggest trade link,there are lots of Indian telecommunication,Vehicle,FMCG,Travel and many other companies in Srilanka and vice versa...The previous Presidents as well the present one of Srilanka have held India in high opinion.India is a military hardware supplier to Srilanka,though not the biggest one.Indian Peace Keeping Forces have led down their lives to protect the Island nation.....one of the Prime Ministers of India
died as a fallout of it.

Now all of a sudden you need assurance specifically from India only???Is there any specific reason behind it???

Do you ask for similar assurance from other countries who happen to have trade links with Srilanka????

This is good news. We should engage with our 'neutral-attitude' neighbours in a more serious manner. Sri Lanka is a possible good friend and a strategic partner in the future. We don't have any resentment with them and it is good diplomatic initiative from IAF considering that it was Fali Homi Major who started the diplomatic overtures to different countries from the IAF's side.

I think a join-aerial exercise, especially between Lankan MiG-27s and ours should be a good initiative for confidence-building. Military and strategic cooperation is the first step to building good ties.

That’s All

Sri Lanka needs to win Indias Tamils' trust. Its too easy for them to not look into the problem they themselves created. And instead of orchestrating more fake protests, they must work on a political solution for the Tamils of Sri Lanka. Failure to do so has the potential to hurt India and Sri Lanka. And China will be able to protect human rights abuses in UN but they won't be able to solve the Tamil issue.

In other words you want India to give Sri Lanka money and equipment.

Well i think atleast now our diplomatic machinery has awakened from deep slumber. Its high time that we concentrated on these string of pearls around us with confidence and assertiveness rather than skepticism and mistrust, afterall the so called string of pearls would be of our own making rather than by the Chinese.

I agree with some of Srilankans points above as a bigger neighbour we should reassure Srilanka of our best intentions, particularly in the light of LTTE episode.

I don't think just money and arms would earn the much needed trust my brother. Look at us we are so deeply mistrustful of China for a variety of reasons, the same goes to Srilankans too, don't u think so??

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom