What's new

India successfully tests Nirbhay cruise missile

#FridayFury: India's subsonic cruise missile Nirbhay scores a Perfect 10 - News Oneindia

India on Friday added an inspiring chapter to her book on ‘Home-Grown Weapons', when its nuclear-capable, sub-sonic cruise missile Nirbhay scored a Perfect 10 during its launch from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) in Chandipur. The missile took off from the Launch Complex-3 of ITR at 10.05 am and successfully completed the mission parameters within an hour (11.02 am). Military sources confirm to OneIndia that the missile is capable of flying as low as 5 meters and can attain a maximum height of 5 km. Nirbhay gives Indian armed forces deep-strike capabilities and can be launched from land, ship and submarine. The missile is developed by Bangalore-based Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), with over a dozen DRDO labs joining hands in the project. During Friday's launch, Nirbhay travelled a total of 1050 kilometers and hit the designated target area with an accuracy of 5-6 meters, which is also known as CEP (Circular Error Probable). Sources say that with a seeker coming on board the missile during future launches, Nirbhay is expected to hit the target with offer an accuracy of 1-2 meters. Hyderabad-based DRDO lab Research Centre Imarat (RCI) is engaged in the development of a desi seeker. The RCI also played a key role in Nirbhay's success by providing a redundant navigation system, control actuation system and battery. "The missile navigated through all the 17 way points," a top official said. Capturing Nirbhay's outing on video was a Jaguar deep-penetrating strike aircraft of the Indian Air Force. Thrilled DRDO Chief says more variants in the offing For DRDO Chief Dr Avinash Chander, Nirbhay's second outing was critical to ward off critics, who were waiting in the wing to pounce on him, with the first attempt of the missile (March 2013) being only partially successful. "Mission successful! We have done it. It's a great day for DRDO and missile scientists in India. We are now confident of attempting smarter versions of the missile. This will add new dimensions to our armed forces' capabilities," Dr Chander told OneIndia from the Block House in ITR. A visibly joyous DRDO chief went on to add that Nirbhay demonstrated the capabilities to carry heavy payload giving confidence to its makers. "We are now ready to add more teeth to the missile. We need to integrate the terminal guidance system to make the missile more lethal. It will be then capable of homing on to specific targets," Dr Chander said. Commenting ADE for finally making the missile follow their script right from the word go and till the pre-planned end-game near the safe zone (target area), Dr Avinash said that the lab will have its hands full for the next 10 years. "As I see it, ADE is currently on a well-chartered flight-path with a number of critical projects in their kitty. Our efforts will be now to have Nirbhay indicted into the Navy within three years followed by the Army an year after that. The air force version should be out in the next six years," the top missile scientist said. Ready for crucial briefing with Defence Minister: DRDO DG A top DRDO team led by Dr K Tamilmani, Director General (Aeronautical Systems) is expected to brief Defence Minister Arun Jaitley on Saturday (Oct 18) about Nirbhay. "We will be meeting the Defence Minister with the complete mission parameters Nirbhay has achieved. Integrating the missile was a huge challenge with multiple agencies being involved. We will be briefing the minister about the benefits Nirbhay will offer to the Services," Dr Tamilmani, who oversaw ADE's progress in developing the missile on a daily basis, said. The team is also expected to brief Jaitley about the possibilities Nirbhay will offer to all three Service wings. "It has been tough days for the Nirbhay team and everyone was under tremendous pressure. We stuck to our plans and never let the focus shift. When you develop complex weapon platforms, it's unfair to call challenges as delays," Dr Tamilmani said. A perfect Diwali gift, says ADE boss According to P Srikumar, Director of Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), Bangalore, Nirbhay performed more than what was expected. "It's a great achievement for all of us. Nirbhay was loaded with technology challenges and today one by one we demonstrated how we overcame them. A submerged air intake, which is just a hole in the belly of the missile and deployment of folded wing into the flight configuration are two critical technological challenged we overcame in this project. Deriving inspiration from today's successful launch, we are confident of building on the foundation thereby converting Nirbhay into an excellent missile system," Srikumar said. "Most of the designers in all our partner labs are youngsters, whose confidence will grow in leaps and bounds with the successful launch of Nirbhay. We have tapped the capabilities of over a dozen DRDO labs for this project. I couldn't have asked for a better Diwali gift," the ADE director said. Dr K G Narayanan, former ADE director said that the Nirbhay's success is the logical extension of the work in the field of unmanned systems such as Lakshya and Nishant. "Though I am not fully familiar of the technology used in Nirbhay, it is a great achievement by our scientists," Dr Narayanan said. More than satisfied; exciting days ahead: RCI Director Dr G Satheesh Reddy, DRDO's ‘missile magician' and RCI Director was probably one man who knew what a successful outing for the missile could do to his entire team. "We are more than happy and more than satisfied. We have more challenges ahead and my team of young scientists will right away get on to our next mission of making Nirbhay, a smarter weapon system. We had to wait for over an year after the first launch and today every system that we developed stuck to the designated task," Dr Satheesh said. Celebrations at ADE The news of the Nirbhay's successful launch was greeted with great fanfare at the ADE campus in C V Raman Nagar. "It's a great day for India. It's a great day for DRDO and ADE. We will wait for the Nirbhay team to return and they have really slogged in the last two years. This success has come after a mild set-back we had last time and hence it is a great sense of relief for us. Nirbhay has gifted us a great sense of satisfaction," B Mahalingam, technical staff officer to ADE director, said. He said that celebrations will continue till the entire Nirbhay team lands back in Bangalore. "We are expecting everyone by mid of next week. We will celebrate this success, which I think we truly deserve," Mahalingam added. Incidentally, Nirbhay is the first missile DRDO developed in Bangalore.

Read more at: #FridayFury: India's subsonic cruise missile Nirbhay scores a Perfect 10 - News Oneindia
morning they said 14 waypoints bt 17???

6 years for airforce version????? damn too much!!!

No Prahaar is not same as NASR, NASR is nuclear capable, miniaturized nuclear capability, called Battlefield Nukes for limited range....India doesnot even have the concept of miniaturized battlefield nukes missile system, with tactical capability. Small tactical missile nuke is the main capability of NASR...very hard to make.

Secondly, i was talking of target point, target range, target hit range of more than 10 m, and you start talking abt distance range of 700km and that too from a MBRL, mobile system and India developed it, on its own...LoL.

Well Pakistan has been listening for long enough these madeup Indian threats, 'wait for new missiles', 'will', 'india's a super power', 'india's economy is world fastest growing', 'Indian has new indigenous atomic missile' etc etc. Well not to discourage Indians from dreaming.....Its a good laugh for Pakistanis.

Man,are you speaking English??

Interesting a collective attack. So amusing the answers.

population 1, China, 1,367,340,000, October 17, 2014, 19%, Official population clock. 2, India, 1,261,080,000, October 17 2014

Yet India counting is less reliable then China counting.

LCA being 4th generation? When? Not now. Planned sure.

I do not think it is an issue fro India to buy of the market. The space program was not bang a cyrogenic engine. Kaveru was not bang working. Neither is it hard to believe you just builded and engine. If it was that easy there would be a lot more nations having CM.

Whether it is off topic? Just read what you guys with Indian flag and non Indian names write.

Mr.TT analist; how relevant is all this kahaani to the topic of the thread?

I take such pinpoint accuracy claims with a grain a of salt.
really??? not just one article bt evey one reporting the same!! so you r sayin that Pakistani scientists were chest thumping????

really??? not just one article bt evey one reporting the same!! so you r sayin that Pakistani scientists were chest thumping????

everyone chest thumps. We have a established system in form of Tomahawk to compare such claims of Nirbhay or Babur. Tomahawk Can only achieve pinpoint accuracy with SAT NAV. Without SAT NAV, CEP is always above 10 meters.

You can even take it with a bowl-full of chillies.
Kee farq painda.

I'm just pointing out the inaccurate claims being peddled as facts here. Tomahwak recently upgraded with a seeker in it's Block-IV upgrade. It doesn't made it accurate to 1 meter CEP without SAT NAV, what it did is that it can strike moving targets.

Congratulations to DRDO for the successful testing of Nirbhay LRCM! A long awaited event which has generated huge excitement and equally huge butthurt here on PDF.

Guys, we have had our fun and frolic celebrating the successful launch. It is time we analyse this missile and its capabilities and also the challenges that lie ahead.

1. This missile test was extra special because it validated many more test points than are usual for the first successful test of any cruise missile. e.g.
a. Full range i.e. 1000km +
b. Waypoint navigation a most crucial feature of any cruise missile.
c. Loitering ability.
d. Changing the flight course and re-designation of targets.
This is the reason behind DRDO requiring only four more tests of Nirbhay before induction.

2. The confidence of DRDO in the missile and it's components must have been very high as the media was allowed a live telecast of the launch.

3. The NDTV video shows a pumped up scientist claiming "much more is in the kitty". Looking at his body language LRCM is definitely in the offing.

4. ARM role is definitely happening.

5. Finally, for the learned trolls! Nirbhay differs from Tomahawk group of missiles in following areas-
a. Nose cone
b. Air intake. (better stealth)
c. tail fins shape.
d. Wing length and camber.
Nirbhay is definitely as stealthy as most other long range cruise missiles out there. (Exceptions like Storm Shadow et al.)

A few interesting questions raised.

1. How the commands were communicated to the missile?

2. What is the status of the seeker, image library, terrain data?

3. Any other stealth measures? Esp. IR suppresion?

4. How was the flip from vertical to horizontal achieved during launch sequence? No thrusters like Brahmos or Shaurya seen.

5. Max speed?

6. Which engine will power the production varient?

Challenges.

1. Demonstrating extreme low level flying. TERCOM etc.

2. Sub and Air launched version.

3. Sub munitions dispensing ability.

4. Recoverable Missile?

5. Mass production and QC issues.

Let us have a discussion on these lines.

With 1500 km, in future it can be configured to drop a bomb and return to base, to be recovered and reused.Nothing is impossible.
We can at least reuse the turbofan and electronics.

Only strength of cruise missile its low level flight. Making it diffixult to radar.Once identified, it can be taken out easily..

Unlike super or hypersonic cruise missiles these ones are slow.

DRDO has developed airships(blimps) with thermal sensors. These high altitude airships will identify the CM and counter measures will be implemented.

It would be foolish to think India is sitting duck for any CM.

I'm just pointing out the inaccurate claims being peddled as facts here. Tomahwak recently upgraded with a seeker in it's Block-IV upgrade. It doesn't made it accurate to 1 meter CEP without SAT NAV, what it did is that it can strike moving targets.
those inaccurate claims are from Pakistanis. so then,I was just making fun of those inaccurate claims (I got 10 neut ratings too) see my sign!!!! Case closed!!! Gud night....Sweet dreams!

Closely guarded, and I dont have any...
HAL-developed+turbofan+for+Nirbhay.jpg

With 1500 km, in future it can be configured to drop a bomb and return to base, to be recovered and reused.Nothing is impossible.
This is more the job of a UCAV and India is working on that in a separate project.

The Nirbhay doesn't need to be reusable.

those inaccurate claims are from Pakistanis. so then,I was just making fun of those inaccurate claims (I got 10 neut ratings too) see my sign!!!! Case closed!!! Gud night....Sweet dreams!

Inaccurate claims are from Indian side as well. Grow up. Learn to debate properly.

Isn't it absurd that Pakistanis even brought "TOMAHAWK" in the discussion about an Indian Missile?

Does anybody have any shred of evidence to suggest that the technology was borrowed? The only similarity that I see between Tomahawk and Nirbhay is that both are Cruise Missiles!

Even discounting MTCR or similar Missile technology transfer embargoes, the relationship between India and the US has been cold to say the least, during the development timeframe of this missile.

Remember, it was the same Pakistanis who made fun of India during the Khobragade incident. Now suddenly they think that US transferred technology for this missile? If it did, it must have happened couple of weeks ago during our PM's US visit! ;)

@sandy_3126 What exactly is wrong with the posting. As far as I know every piece of my post is reality. Let us give moderating team the look at it...
I agree, et the moderators decide, as soon as I rated, Iintimated the team about and asked them to reverse it if they found it appropriate..

Your first missile test failed in minutes due to laser gyro malfunction and DRDO claimed success. You can read it on the web/LiveFist etc

Yes it did, I absolutely agree.. But what exactly is the purpose of testing, it is to the validate the design intent and verify the efficacy of the said project. Failing a test is a part of the Product development cycle. What does that reflect on the engineering teams behind the project, I hope you can understand that. These are not black projects and to ensure validation, summary o test results are made Public. This is what accountability is all about. As far as the sucess part of it, it depends on what your objectives were, your claim is out rightly disingenuous, as DRDO claimed partial suceess, where you conveniently chose to ignore "partial", let me tell you what the partial success was, the telemetry responded, the suction pressure and dicharge pressure adhered to the prediction model, the compression ratio was within 98% of the predition model with variable atmospheric pressure drop, the adiabatic efficiency with altitude correction was 1.2 times the predicted model, the navigation system responded to presets, the failure was with the comm loss with on board adaptive control board, and thus the mission failed in achieving all objectives.... Now being a seasoned poster here I hope you understand what the term partial meant.

You are the largest nation at the moment in population...
How is it relevant to Nirbhay's successfl test? and thus off topic and a remark of no value whatsoever.

You are busy with prop trainer (IAF skipped it by ordering foreign), you're LCA is longest program even in mankind when we talk about basic light fighterjet. You do add every part from the rest of the world. US engine, Israeli radar. European avionics.
Again a very disingenuous claim, Please research HPT32 which is a basic prop plane built in 1977. Prop planes have nothing to do with the successful launch of Nirbhay Cruise missile and is completely irrelevant.
Again LCA program has nothing to do Nirbhay Cruise missile and complete irrelevant, t is off topic and completely of no value to the topic at hand....
There are Basic trainer threads, and LCA sticky threads where you ca pose all your queries about said project, mock them, critique the, but posting about completely seperate projects, developed by separate set or organisation is on a thread about succesful launch of cruise missile in unwaranted.

You want to be part of Superpower. Everything is linked to be part of or accepted as Superpower.. Even the Times had the title the next superpower India... Look at average Bollywood movie and it is all about India being so good... Read posts on the web and it is all about indiagenous sorry I meant indigenous.

How is bollywood movies, potrayal of india, aspirations of India as a nation remotely related to discussion of th sucessful test of missile, the objectives of test, validation of test parameters, and application of the said system.... I am afraid it makes no sense to me.

Modi is part of Hindu nationalism and is part of the massacre of muslims in Gujarat. Don;t tell me that he was banned by the usa for decades because he served the best chai. He was indeed a chai seller in India...

Social and legal issus in india to be raised on a thread for missile test.... discussing track record of a politician who is not remotely related to the development o the testing of the misile, and then mocking his beginnings and travel restrictions, on a thread related to testing of a cruise missile.. What can say more... if you think this is the level of discourse that a think tank consultant and respected member of the forum needs to indulge in, I will leave it up to you... you can be the judge of it.

Indeed you have MKI crash just day ago.
The thread was started on Sunday? the tests were announced quite before the mentioned accident. I am quite appalled that you would use an unfortunate accident to further you points. Anyways it is your choice,

So my Indian think tank friend. NEgative rating is not an issue but there is nothing wrong in it. Surely lightly direct but still nothing wrong and less offensive then most posters from your nation write.
As a matter of fact the negative rating was after quite a bit of reading and giving you all the benefit of the doubt, and to second gues my own rating informing the mangement, as the event is highly unlikely. But the content according to me way beyond the context of the thread. thus the rating and also intimation to mods of the event.

@WebMaster

I think it is plain stupid if you give me rating on nothing and then start a personal discussion with all the mods. Let me be simple. Your side is abusing this forum in almost every section I have read. Your sides keep thanking eachother for what? Smileys? I do not get into discussions about ethics if there is no sincerity and certainly not based on something real. My post is correct.

well, you are a well respected contributer to the forum, and objectivity is basic expectation from member of your rank. f you want to indulge in negative rating members as an agenda against a certain nationality, that is your choice, and just in case you have not noticed, there is an option to report posts.

@Horus @WebMaster @Oscar Please review and take appropriate actions

hope that helps.

regards.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom