What's new

India successfully tests Nirbhay cruise missile

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
India will test-fire the nuclear-capable Nirbhay cruise missile from the integrated test range at Balasore in Odisha on October 17, the second launch of the indigenous weapon developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

All eyes will be on the upcoming launch as the Nirbhay’s much-hyped maiden launch last March had failed to hit the pre-designated target in the Bay of Bengal. When ready, the missile will be able to deliver nuclear warheads at ranges of up to 1,000 km.

The DRDO had to terminate the Nirbhay flight mid-way in March 2013 after the long-range missile deviated from its intended course, leading to some delays in the programme. A senior DRDO official said glitches in the missile’s inertial navigation system had been ironed out.

“The first test was a partial success as several mission objectives were met. The upcoming test is crucial as we have to demonstrate the capability of the missile,” he added. It will require a few more successful tests before being declared ready for induction.

Low-flying cruise missiles such as the Nirbhay can easily slip past enemy air-defence systems due to small radar cross section. The Nirbhay will be configured to be launched from multiple platforms such as land, air and sea.

Nuclear-capable missile to be tested on October 17 - Hindustan Times

Most of India missiles are nuclear capable. If you equip them or not is a different matter. Even 150 KM range prithvi i also Nuclear capable.

I seriously doubt it is nuclear capable.. Can anyone clarify?? @kurup @acetophenol @sandy_3126 @sancho @Abingdonboy
It can accommodate 24 different types of warheads according to Internet, so you can accommodate pre fragmented HE, Mini bomblets, alluminium submunition, low exlosive, Nuclear, non-conventional, training, aalo gobi, chat masala, what ever type you can develop.....

I seriously doubt it is nuclear capable.. Can anyone clarify?? @kurup @acetophenol @sandy_3126 @sancho @Abingdonboy

It can carry one ....... But don't think it will ever . Maybe an air launched version in the future will carry nuke warheads .

BGM-109A Tomahawk Land Attack Missile – Nuclear (TLAM-A) with a W80 nuclear warhead. Retired from service sometime between 2010 and 2013

U r full of doubts always ;)

Just think about it.. cruise missiles are used in battle fields to destroy vital installations and assets of enemy countries.. If it is nuclear capable, isnt there a chance that enemy country also launch nuclear salvo thinking that we are nuking them??

INRSS launch followed by Nirbhay launch followed by A5 Launch (Hope) launch this month. Good luck.

We need different versions of Brahmos ranging from 300 to 3000 KM of range. Laghu Shakti should become a reality soon.

Most of India missiles are nuclear capable. If you equip them or not is a different matter. Even 150 KM range prithvi i also Nuclear capable.
What makes a conventional warhead cruise missile different than nuclear warhead capable cruise missile? After all missile is just a delivery mechanism. Most of the difference I can think of is the trigger mechanism or is there anything else?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom