What's new

India shops for 6 Chinooks

All helicopters "hover" so what are you insinuating with that question?

i meant remaining static for a long time at one place

man the diff is too damn huge to ignore

here

mi-26

Empty weight: 28,200 kg (62,170 lb)
Loaded weight: 49,600 kg (109,350 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 56,000 kg (123,450 lb)

chinook

Empty weight: 23,400 lb (10,185 kg)
Loaded weight: 26,680 lb (12,100 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 50,000 lb (22,680 kg)

Its 12000 kg vs 28000 kg

Now ppl may make any argument on anything but this type of helicopter is indeed needed in situations like floods etc and we should have got some 8-10 of these too
@Dillinger

u have turned blue!!
jr think tank

Last edited by a moderator:

What does that have to do with anything?

Listen the Mi-26 has recently only seen serious movement on the civilian T and T2 front- these are NOT suitable for infil and exfil wrt active field areas.

What does that have to do with anything?

Listen the Mi-26 has recently only seen serious movement on the civilian T and T2 front- these are NOT suitable for infil and exfil wrt active field areas.

And what are the active fields areas sir??

The major thing ppl were highlighting about chinook was its ability to be static for a long time for deployment in mountains and hilly areas and slopes etc.

pls see the figures of post no 17

wtf........!!!
that diff is too much

And what are the active fields areas sir??

The major thing ppl were highlighting about chinook was its ability to be static for a long time for deployment in mountains and hilly areas and slopes etc.

pls see the figures of post no 17

wtf........!!!
that diff is too much

What "diff"?

Well static hovering will allow you to ingress more troops in terrain that prevails across many sectors while landing a helo isn't really easy- but that just lends itself to an incremental increase in operational capability.

Had the Mi-26 been upgraded further as a military transport then yes it would be an ideal heavy lift helo.

What "diff"?

Well static hovering will allow you to ingress more troops in terrain that prevails across many sectors while landing a helo isn't really easy- but that just lends itself to an incremental increase in operational capability.

Had the Mi-26 been upgraded further as a military transport then yes it would be an ideal heavy lift helo.

the diff between max weight it can carry

28000kg vs 12000kg

man the diff is too damn huge to ignore

here

mi-26

Empty weight: 28,200 kg (62,170 lb)
Loaded weight: 49,600 kg (109,350 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 56,000 kg (123,450 lb)

chinook

Empty weight: 23,400 lb (10,185 kg)
Loaded weight: 26,680 lb (12,100 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 50,000 lb (22,680 kg)

Its 12000 kg vs 28000 kg

Big is not always better you know. You have to take into account operational costs, maintenance, speed, service ceiling and reliabliity. Chinooks have fared well in Afghanistan. Not to mention that huge *** Mi-26 would be a fat juicy target for SAM/MANPAD :cheesy:. To be honest it looks like a big clumsy machine to me, chinook appears leaner and meaner.

CHINOOK_ROOF_LANDING_IN_Afghanistan.jpg

attachment.php

the diff between max weight it can carry

28000kg vs 12000kg

Perhaps someday someone shall design a helo that can tow 30000kg, fly up to 6000 meters and launch stand-off munitions at the same time. At the moment no such platform exists.

Again IF the Mi-26 could be provided with a reliable MRO and after sales service then yes it would be preferable.

Big is not always better you know. You have to take into account operational costs, maintenance, speed, service ceiling and reliabliity. Chinooks have fared well in Afghanistan. Not to mention that huge *** Mi-26 would be a fat juicy target for SAM/MANPAD :cheesy:. To be honest it looks like a big clumsy machine to me, chinook appears leaner and meaner.

are u serious??who is judging looks here dude??

here as far as performance goes in speed department

chinook

Maximum speed: 170 knots (196 mph, 315 km/h)
Cruise speed: 130 kt (149 mph, 240 km/h)

mi-26

Maximum speed: 295 km/h (159 kt, 183 mph)
Cruise speed: 255 km/h (137 kt, 158 mph)

Chinook has no advantage here even though it carries 16000 kg less ordnance

in service ceiling though its better(4500m vs 5600m)
i fail to understand

Excellent decision, a perfect platform for airlifting soldiers and cargo in the moment of crisis. I believe there should be more follow on orders. 20-30 Chinooks can be a great asset.

Gurudutt, you are an idiot, commenting about things you know nothing about. Given the lack of spares and parts, only one Mil Mi 26 is operational now. The down draft for this helo is so severe (77 kmph) that it is dangerous to operate in most rough conditions. And the biggest difference is that the chinook can hover while troops and equipment are loaded and unloaded. Please do not see corruption everywhere.

Be careful with the words you use.

Perhaps someday someone shall design a helo that can tow 30000kg, fly up to 6000 meters and launch stand-off munitions at the same time. At the moment no such platform exists.

Again IF the Mi-26 could be provided with a reliable MRO and after sales service then yes it would be preferable.

what would u want in a military heavy lift helo??

i will search whether it has that or not
we need to find all the facts so help me out here

Back
Top Bottom