What's new

India shops for 6 Chinooks

Jason bourne

Reaction score
India wants to ink a deal for six Chinook heavy-duty helicopters by the time Prime Minister Manmohan Singh meets US President Barack Obama on September 27 in Washington.

A half-dozen CH-47 Chinooks, a twin-engined helicopter capable of carrying 50 troops or 6.5 metric tonnes of cargo, will carry a price tag of about $500 million (`3,200 crore).

Introduced in 1962, the Chinook played a major role in the Vietnam war and has been the mainstay of the American forces in Afghanistan.

The Boeing-made helicopters will be bought through the foreign military sales route in which arms are sold in a government-to-government deal on a fixed price basis — ruling out haggling that often invites bribery charge.

The Chinook deal is being fast-tracked, say Indian government sources, and New Delhi hopes to have it finalised by December.
This is partly being driven by a desire to flesh out the thin agenda at the Washington summit. The proposal will be added to the schedule of US deputy secretary of defence Ashton Carter when he comes to New Delhi September 16-18.

The Indian side wants some major defence purchases readied for the summit, but other Indo-US weapons deals are caught in red tape. For example, the M777 howitzer deal has been in the works for two years and now, in part because of rupee devaluation, the price tag is bigger.

The Chinooks also face barriers. Boeing recently tried to add limited liability clauses to its military purchases and the Indian government is not happy about it. US sources say they have yet to receive any notification from the ministry of defence about the Chinooks.

The induction of the Chinooks will confirm the Stars and Stripes look of the Indian Air Force’s airlift capabilities. India has already bought C-130 Hercules and C-17 Globemaster heavy-lift airplanes.

Military sources say the US aircraft have proven better at functioning at high-altitudes then the Russian planes they are replacing.
India has been mulling buying Chinooks to replace the Russian-made Mi-26 transport helicopters that were transformational when they were introduced a quarter-century ago but have a record of chronic maintenance problems.

India will be the 17th air force in the world to use Chinooks.

India wants to ink a deal for six Chinook heavy-duty helicopters by the time Prime Minister Manmohan Singh meets US President Barack Obama on September 27 in Washington.

A half-dozen CH-47 Chinooks, a twin-engined helicopter capable of carrying 50 troops or 6.5 metric tonnes of cargo, will carry a price tag of about $500 million (`3,200 crore).

Introduced in 1962, the Chinook played a major role in the Vietnam war and has been the mainstay of the American forces in Afghanistan.

The Boeing-made helicopters will be bought through the foreign military sales route in which arms are sold in a government-to-government deal on a fixed price basis — ruling out haggling that often invites bribery charge.

The Chinook deal is being fast-tracked, say Indian government sources, and New Delhi hopes to have it finalised by December.
This is partly being driven by a desire to flesh out the thin agenda at the Washington summit. The proposal will be added to the schedule of US deputy secretary of defence Ashton Carter when he comes to New Delhi September 16-18.

The Indian side wants some major defence purchases readied for the summit, but other Indo-US weapons deals are caught in red tape. For example, the M777 howitzer deal has been in the works for two years and now, in part because of rupee devaluation, the price tag is bigger.

The Chinooks also face barriers. Boeing recently tried to add limited liability clauses to its military purchases and the Indian government is not happy about it. US sources say they have yet to receive any notification from the ministry of defence about the Chinooks.

The induction of the Chinooks will confirm the Stars and Stripes look of the Indian Air Force’s airlift capabilities. India has already bought C-130 Hercules and C-17 Globemaster heavy-lift airplanes.

Military sources say the US aircraft have proven better at functioning at high-altitudes then the Russian planes they are replacing.
India has been mulling buying Chinooks to replace the Russian-made Mi-26 transport helicopters that were transformational when they were introduced a quarter-century ago but have a record of chronic maintenance problems.

India will be the 17th air force in the world to use Chinooks.

i dont get it why is chinook preffered over Mi-25 lolzz it can carry a chinook underbelly and still lift as muchy as the chinook MOD is full of corrupt people now :pissed:

i dont get it why is chinook preffered over Mi-25 lolzz it can carry a chinook underbelly and still lift as muchy as the chinook MOD is full of corrupt people now :pissed:

strategic airlifting capabilities I guess. Chinooks are much more flexible I guess,can unload troops and vehicles much more easily than Mi-26. Agility is more for chinook.

No doubt that in the weight lifitng capabilities area, Mi-26 is the "baap" of Chinook,but Chinook will be more flexible for rapid deploeyement and for battle field use.

What I say is that we must retiain a few Mi-26s by buying new examples to retain its heavy lifting capabilities i.e, we must have both Chinooks and Mi-26s.
@GURU DUTT: Bro,there is a old video of an IAF Mi-26 unlaoding a BTR-72 along with ground troops in some excercise way back in 1980s. Please check and post it here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heard IAF has had serious issue with their present fleet of Mi-26 due to their lack of serviceability and high AOG time.

Ruskie maal, defective and unreliable. Kab samajh mein ayegi baat, already 200 migs and 1 submarine down without firing a shot. Better to go for american stuff.

Gurudutt, you are an idiot, commenting about things you know nothing about. Given the lack of spares and parts, only one Mil Mi 26 is operational now. The down draft for this helo is so severe (77 kmph) that it is dangerous to operate in most rough conditions. And the biggest difference is that the chinook can hover while troops and equipment are loaded and unloaded. Please do not see corruption everywhere.

Gurudutt, you are an idiot, commenting about things you know nothing about. Given the lack of spares and parts, only one Mil Mi 26 is operational now. The down draft for this helo is so severe (77 kmph) that it is dangerous to operate in most rough conditions. And the biggest difference is that the chinook can hover while troops and equipment are loaded and unloaded. Please do not see corruption everywhere.

You dont have to call him an idiot for that bro :D he just dose not know that's it.

Chinook is more stable than the mi25 in crosswinds,

Advantage - More stability, maneuverable and agile

Disadvantage - More complicated, more maintenance
intensive, and more expensive since servicing two contra
concept styled rotor crafts is costlier then single rotor

If you do not have indigenous capabilities it is always better to diversify.We cant have a russian military force altogether.

strategic airlifting capabilities I guess. Chinooks are much more flexible I guess,can unload troops and vehicles much more easily than Mi-26. Agility is more for chinook.

No doubt that in the weight lifitng capabilities area, Mi-26 is the "baap" of Chinook,but Chinook will be more flexible for rapid deploeyement and for battle field use.

What I say is that we must retiain a few Mi-26s by buying new examples to retain its heavy lifting capabilities i.e, we must have both Chinooks and Mi-26s.
@GURU DUTT: Bro,there is a old video of an IAF Mi-26 unlaoding a BTR-72 along with ground troops in some excercise way back in 1980s. Please check and post it here.

For indian scenario chinook is a useless buy...............

yes i agree we should have got 8-10 mi-26 as well as the lifting capability gap is just huge

Last edited by a moderator:

Guru dutt is partially right

1)we need more lift capability than troop deployment capability considering indian scenario and mi-26 is better there

2)The mi-26 we are operating are 25 years old,,,russia has developed a new model mi-26t and problem of spares for this new model is a joke as russia itself is gonna procure a lot of these new mi-26t

3)Where are u gonna deploy troops with this with it hovering?? on kargil or siachen??

For indian scenario chinook is a useless buy...............

yes i agree we should have got 8-10 mi-26 as well as the lifting capability gap is just huge

Majority of VTOL/rotor wing air lift operations will be conducted by the new Mi-17 V5s, on the other hand the Chinooks will provide the heavy lift element quite well for the folks at Panagarh in a manner similar to the role they play for the ground forces as part of a combat aviation brigade.

Majority of VTOL/rotor wing air lift operations will be conducted by the new Mi-17 V5s, on the other hand the Chinooks will provide the heavy lift element quite well for the folks at Panagarh in a manner similar to the role they play for the ground forces as part of a combat aviation brigade.

thats exactly my point??

where will be the hovering ability exploited??if at all??

Back
Top Bottom