What's new

India severely lags behind China in terms of infrastructure: Defence Report

Democracy works beautifully on a small scale where means of communication are not monopolized by a privileged few.

For example, let's say someone opens a dirty factory in your neighborhood. If you and your friends protest, there are two options:
-- the media supports your cause and lifts it to prominence
-- the media (and the elite) portray your group as a bunch of anarchists, communists or general troublemakers.

If you can't get your voice heard, you have no power. The ones who dominate the channels of communication hold the power. Even elected officials will be their slaves because what matters is not the reality, but the perception that the media sells.

In many countries, media ownership is incredibly concentrated to a handful of companies or even individuals. 90% of newspapers in major Australian cities are owned by just two companies. Almost all US media is controlled by a handful of companies.

Social Media has changed the way Media effects the general public. We are still evolving.

And there are Indian Sikhs now living in Canada. There are always dissenters in any system.

If China opened the doors today, do you seriously doubt how many millions of Indians would move to China?

Mohammedan please keep us out of your mouth. I would rather have us lost to history than the tear in the eye of your kind.

After India's excellent demo, I would like to say no.
Do you think Chinese wish to live like indian by embracing so called freedom? Haha, no way, enjoy yourself
Freedom is not synonyms to India, this just shows how much you are obsessed with India.

I would bet that most poor people in India (and the world) would take China any day over India.
And I bet most poor people in china ( and the world) could take India any day over China.
National Food Security Bill, 2013
rice at INR3 (4.8¢ US) per kg
wheat at INR2 (3.2¢ US) per kg
coarse grains (millet) at INR1 (1.6¢ US) per kg.
Quote me any country in the world with these kind of prices, if not dont bother.

Freedom is not synonyms to India, this just shows how much you are obsessed with India.

And I bet most poor people in china ( and the world) could take India any day over China.
Quote me any country in the world with these kind of prices, if not dont bother.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

Social Media has changed the way Media effects the general public. We are still evolving.

Social media means nothing: all it can do is let people organize rallies.

The mainstream media still determines if a rally is portrayed as peaceful, or a bunch of terrorists and vandals.
(In the worst case, any rally can be "infused" with appropriate elements to give mainstream media and police the "right" kind of footage.)

Witness the events in Egypt: two groups of people used social media; one was shown as Islamist terrorists, the other was portrayed as patriots, even though the "patriots" were defending the military coup toppling the democracy.

Not a chance.

They might prefer America over China, but not India. Remember, the primary consideration is almost always economics, not political system.

All people, even poor ones, have their pride and self-respect.

Rather than handouts, most people would rather have a better job and more income so that they -- not some government bureaucrat -- can decide if they want to eat rice today or noodles, grains or fish.

Last edited:
Social media means nothing: all it can do is let people organize rallies.

The mainstream media still determines if a rally is portrayed as peaceful, or a bunch of terrorists and vandals.
(In the worst case, any rally can be "infused" with appropriate elements to give mainstream media and police the "right" kind of footage.)

Witness the events in Egypt: two groups of people used social media; one was shown as Islamist terrorists, the other was portrayed as patriots, even though the "patriots" were defending the military coup toppling the democracy.

Not a chance.

They might prefer America over China, but not India. Remember, the primary consideration is almost always economics, not political system.

All people, even poor ones, have their pride and self-respect.

Rather than handouts, most people would rather have a better job and more income so that they -- not some government bureaucrat -- can decide if they want to eat rice today or noodles, grains or fish.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
We are creating jobs, that takes time, in the mean while we don't want our people to die. And I told you, you wont find any better figures than that.

I call it Delusions of a Think Tank..
He could rather let them die than feed them.

Has Tejas ever flown with Kaveri? J-10B has flown a lot powered by WS-10. At least in terms of turbofan engines, China is well ahead of India.

Has Tejas ever flown with Kaveri? J-10B has flown a lot powered by WS-10. At least in terms of turbofan engines, China is well ahead of India.

Is china's thorium reactor operational ?? We already have one FBTR operational from1985 .

At least in terms of thorium nuclear reactor , India is well ahead of China.

Is china's thorium reactor operational ?? We already have one FBTR operational from1985 .

At least in terms of thorium nuclear reactor , India is well ahead of China.

Why no other country other than India uses thorium? :coffee:

Why no other country other than India uses thorium? :coffee:

Because thorium based reactors are difficult to develope and operate .

Since India has high thorium reserves we have invested heavily in this technology from1950s itself .

Yes that is a field in which China is ahead of India.But there are fields in which India is ahead,like Thorium reactors,Fast Breeder reactors,Solid Boosters for space launchers,high resolution remote sensing sats,Mars Missions

There are fields in which China is ahead...

And there are fields in China is ahead but the gap is small-Lunar exploration,Semi Cryo Engines...

We are creating jobs, that takes time, in the mean while we don't want our people to die. And I told you, you wont find any better figures than that.

The handouts was meant to win votes, not to save people from dying. YOu have a serious problem if you need those handouts just so you dont die of hunger.

Criticism: The bill has been criticized by opponents of the ruling Congress party and some food security analysts. Many see it as an attempt by the Congress party to woo poor and middle-class voters ahead of federal polls in 2014.
Fact Sheet: India’s Food Security Bill - India Real Time - WSJ

Analysts also question how the government plans to identify beneficiaries of the program. Under an existing food program, subsidized grain is provided to individuals earning less than the benchmark poverty line, set at 33 rupees (55 cents) a day in urban areas and 27 rupees (45 cents) a day in rural areas. The new bill doesn’t spell out the groups that qualify as beneficiaries or how the government plans to identify them.

Food security experts have also raised concerns over distributing grains through a state-run channel riddled with irregularities and corruption. Under India’s existing food program, as much as half of the grains procured by the government are siphoned off by middlemen before reaching their intended beneficiaries, according to a report by India’s Planning Commission in 2005. Much of the subsidized food, experts say, ends up being sold illegally in markets rather than in fair price shops

Some economists also believe the bill would hurt the economy by worsening the fiscal deficit. Government expenditure on social spending widened India’s budget deficit to 5.2% of gross domestic product last financial year.

Who care about the costs when most of them end up sold illegally in markets. ROFL

If India does not lag behind, then India is China.

Dont do the stupid comparison game, China has almost 5 times economic as many as India. Indians are proud of they are happy in honey pool of freedom and more than 100 million Chinese enjoys overseas travel every year.

Chinese has good model to learn, as Taiwan, Hongkong, Singapore who bears the same people and culture had developed already.

Problem is, India does not have such sort of model. Your culture, your people, had not been proved to be developed.

The handouts was meant to win votes, not to save people from dying. YOu have a serious problem if you need those handouts just so you dont die of hunger.

Criticism: The bill has been criticized by opponents of the ruling Congress party and some food security analysts. Many see it as an attempt by the Congress party to woo poor and middle-class voters ahead of federal polls in 2014.
Fact Sheet: India’s Food Security Bill - India Real Time - WSJ

Analysts also question how the government plans to identify beneficiaries of the program. Under an existing food program, subsidized grain is provided to individuals earning less than the benchmark poverty line, set at 33 rupees (55 cents) a day in urban areas and 27 rupees (45 cents) a day in rural areas. The new bill doesn’t spell out the groups that qualify as beneficiaries or how the government plans to identify them.

Food security experts have also raised concerns over distributing grains through a state-run channel riddled with irregularities and corruption. Under India’s existing food program, as much as half of the grains procured by the government are siphoned off by middlemen before reaching their intended beneficiaries, according to a report by India’s Planning Commission in 2005. Much of the subsidized food, experts say, ends up being sold illegally in markets rather than in fair price shops

Some economists also believe the bill would hurt the economy by worsening the fiscal deficit. Government expenditure on social spending widened India’s budget deficit to 5.2% of gross domestic product last financial year.

Who care about the costs when most of them end up sold illegally in markets. ROFL
If we start pointing fingers at each other, we are not going to get anywhere. As I have seen both sides of the coin, I can say that china is ahead of India in Infrastructure but not the treatment of its people, one just have to see how royal the families of politician in china live. And please don't start with me about the corruption, its doesn't come in public domain that doesn't mean its not happening. I was just making a point that at least the GOI is taking some steps in that regard and FYI I myself am against the bill cause of the fiscal deficit concern, but even if it fill half the belly of those poor it was meant for then its goal achieved for me. I just don't want to see anyone going to bed hungry. In my opinion, Chinese gov. should also take some steps to bring food to the people in need. I just don't want to see anyone else eating from a dust bin. It has been over 6 years and that image still haunts me.

Back
Top Bottom