What's new

India set to produce world’s largest number of engineers

There is a joke in my community. If you tell your father you want to become a lawyer or architect, he will say, "Sure kondey, no problem. But first, finish your engineering. After that you can become a lawyer or whatever you want." :haha:

there are many who go for MBA finance after completing their engineering even from the prestigious institutes like IIT.

there are many who go for MBA finance after completing their engineering even from the prestigious institutes like IIT.

First, percentage is not an indicator for the "largest number". There are about 3 million new university students every year in India while there are about 7.5 million new university students every year in China. The number = percentage x number of university new students

Second, desire is not reality. 80% of them want to be an engineer, but finally how many of them are really admitted to an engineer class?

Third, engineers are not produced in schools, but in industries, especially manufacturing industries. Even if you graduate with an engieering diploma, if there are no enough jobs, you may end up with a sales job or anything else.

Education in India is not monolithic, different levels at different schools.

I agree...... If you look at the corporates they recruit only from reputed collages and the only way to recruit freshers are thru campus...

Every year there are new engineering collage being built in South India...... and every parent want their children to be an engineer..... In this mad rush they never look at the reputation of the collage...... And put their hard earned money on the education of his/her child.......

I was discussing it in another thread with @acetophenol ..... I was shocked to learn the quality of these engineers..... these guys were not able to answer the basic technologies of automobile even after completing engineering in Automobile.... The questions asked were...

1) Purpose of differential
2) Technology used prior to MPFi
3) Theory behind carburetor
4) Type of transmissions

I am not going to get in to the questions around thermodynamics, it will be embarrassing.........

I though every student should be made to watch "3 Idiots" every semester.....:)

Even a layman mechanic can explain these things...india is a highly ritualistic society...and it seems that the discipline only increases as you go higher up the social ladder...funny when top paid engineers are often defeated by jigaru babus!

what i write below may raise nationalistic outrage among many of the readers but i only write the simple and bitter truth... so before the reader puts sweaty and angered fingers to keyboard and posts insults to me, do your best to read with patience.

@Joe Shearer ( though you had said somewhere that you prefer engaging only in military discussions but i would be glad of your opinion )

@levina @WAJsal

Also when asked whether they would like to take up engineering as a career, 80% of 16 year olds in India said it was their first choice, while the number rose to 81% among 18-24 year olds, and 87% among 24-30 year olds.

from the 60's to 1995, the indian youth would have been generally fascinated with a career in india's extremely capitalist banking sector, jobs within the nationalized banks and those not... we don't need to think twice about how indian banks and economic system have contributed to oppression, suicides on mass scale and as you will see below, contributed to keeping india from contributing technologically to humanity generally.

i don't know why the article says that india is set to produce largest number of engineers... that has actually been the fact since 1995 at least, primarily with enlargement of the few indian software companies and especially so just before year 2000 with arrival of the "y2k" bug in the fearful imaginations of american capitalist corporate system.

below are screenshots from a study by "ernst and young" and "india semiconductor association" for the benefit of the indian ministry of info. tech. ( source - http://deity.gov.in/hindi/sites/upload_files/dithindi/files/Semiconductor06April11_020511_0.pdf - it is a 17.5 mb file which may slow your computer )...

1. this is the supposed talent that comes out from india's engineering colleges every year...

snapshot1.png

2. the fascination with gathering college degrees and degrees after degrees...

snapshot2.png

3. and then comes the continual years of the job life...

snapshot3.png

summary

so 200,000+ students flow out of indian college computer courses every year... well, at least this war true as of 2011 and then the 2007 crash of the american/western economics led to a slightly late crash in india's low-skill computer industry... by logic, those 200,000+ "computer science" students, two million if we count for ten years previous, that huge number of students by the time they finished their final year in college, should have designed and improved at least 5 different microprocessors, 5 different operating systems and three different radically new ways of computing... but they designed and invented nothing.

and what about the ones who got in jobs, staying on a developers and "team leads" and mangers for five years, eight years?? what did they achieve?? what about those who have been in the indian computer industry as technologists for 20 years, 30 years?? what did they contribute to humanity??

----------

sadly, most indians carry a coolie mentality where they do schooling in order to achieve high exams marks ( despite that being useless for all practical purposes ) in order to get into some crap but big-time engineering college like "srm university" or "lovely professional university" and that is order to ultimately get into crap "engineering" job, a life-time of wage-slavery and non-contribution to humanity... along the way, their mothers get them married which leads to children and then those children are put through the same much-beaten path of their parents/grandparents and the cycle of mediocrity continues... that has been so for the last four generations of india since 1947.

to create something, one must give time to ideas, to think over cups of tea, without having to worry about survival money... but when parents and the surrounding social culture essentially tells a youth "do job or die", the youth then gets into the grind of mediocrity... blame the parents for giving middle-class poverty to their children as inheritance... these parents and the school/college managements the parents take pressure from have only contributed to student suicides ( India is Suicide Capital: World Health Organisation (WHO) ) and nothing by way of useful contribution.

the result is this ( no invention from India in 60 years: n. r. narayana murthy ).

99 percent of the people in the software/services/engineering sector are the neo-rich whose parents were not so well-off... these neo-rich can be seen being wastrels in their useless software/engineering company offices in the week days and being wastrels during weekends in the alcohol-overflowing pubs of banglaore, poona, gurgaon, delhi, hyderabad, madras etc.

in the last two years, there has been hype about "startup companies" in india, centered around bangalore... but these companies are nonsense... 95 percent of them are about wrong things like online school/college exam preparation... some more are about developing cell phone apps which are not needed at all ( "emergency app for ladies' safety" - my friends, cell phones have helped no one ), some more are online shopping websites that could be developed in hyderabad or bangalore because some foreigners had already created the internet and the site development tools.

[ post to be developed further in further discussion ]

what i write below may raise nationalistic outrage among many of the readers but i only write the simple and bitter truth... so before the reader puts sweaty and angered fingers to keyboard and posts insults to me, do your best to read with patience.

@Joe Shearer ( though you had said somewhere that you prefer engaging only in military discussions but i would be glad of your opinion )

@levina @WAJsal

I am not against engineering degrees. A good engineering course will help you grow and develop your ways of thinking. Becoming an engineer will force you to work on many transferable skills including problem solving and critical reasoning.
In my first year of engineering, I had tried my hand at everything from welding to carpentry. I was also given basic knowledge of other branches like electronics, mechanical etc.
But the problem arises when people do not have a reason to join engineering, and opt for it merely because it's a trend, or because they were forced into it- that's a perilous trend.
Let me tell you, some of the Indian universities produce very poor quality engineers. During one of my trainings, I caught someone who could not even expand an equation (a2 - b2).
I am not against the number of engineers produced but I am worried about the quality of engineer's produced in India today.

Last edited:

@levina @WAJsal

from the 60's to 1995, the indian youth would have been generally fascinated with a career in india's extremely capitalist banking sector, jobs within the nationalized banks and those not... we don't need to think twice about how indian banks and economic system have contributed to oppression, suicides on mass scale and as you will see below, contributed to keeping india from contributing technologically to humanity generally.

i don't know why the article says that india is set to produce largest number of engineers... that has actually been the fact since 1995 at least, primarily with enlargement of the few indian software companies and especially so just before year 2000 with arrival of the "y2k" bug in the fearful imaginations of american capitalist corporate system.

below are screenshots from a study by "ernst and young" and "india semiconductor association" for the benefit of the indian ministry of info. tech. ( source - http://deity.gov.in/hindi/sites/upload_files/dithindi/files/Semiconductor06April11_020511_0.pdf - it is a 17.5 mb file which may slow your computer )...

1. this is the supposed talent that comes out from india's engineering colleges every year...

View attachment 267443

2. the fascination with gathering college degrees and degrees after degrees...

View attachment 267444

3. and then comes the continual years of the job life...

View attachment 267445

summary

so 200,000+ students flow out of indian college computer courses every year... well, at least this war true as of 2011 and then the 2007 crash of the american/western economics led to a slightly late crash in india's low-skill computer industry... by logic, those 200,000+ "computer science" students, two million if we count for ten years previous, that huge number of students by the time they finished their final year in college, should have designed and improved at least 5 different microprocessors, 5 different operating systems and three different radically new ways of computing... but they designed and invented nothing.

and what about the ones who got in jobs, staying on a developers and "team leads" and mangers for five years, eight years?? what did they achieve?? what about those who have been in the indian computer industry as technologists for 20 years, 30 years?? what did they contribute to humanity??

----------

sadly, most indians carry a coolie mentality where they do schooling in order to achieve high exams marks ( despite that being useless for all practical purposes ) in order to get into some crap but big-time engineering college like "srm university" or "lovely professional university" and that is order to ultimately get into crap "engineering" job, a life-time of wage-slavery and non-contribution to humanity... along the way, their mothers get them married which leads to children and then those children are put through the same much-beaten path of their parents/grandparents and the cycle of mediocrity continues... that has been so for the last four generations of india since 1947.

to create something, one must give time to ideas, to think over cups of tea, without having to worry about survival money... but when parents and the surrounding social culture essentially tells a youth "do job or die", the youth then gets into the grind of mediocrity... blame the parents for giving middle-class poverty to their children as inheritance... these parents and the school/college managements the parents take pressure from have only contributed to student suicides ( India is Suicide Capital: World Health Organisation (WHO) ) and nothing by way of useful contribution.

the result is this ( no invention from India in 60 years: n. r. narayana murthy ).

99 percent of the people in the software/services/engineering sector are the neo-rich whose parents were not so well-off... these neo-rich can be seen being wastrels in their useless software/engineering company offices in the week days and being wastrels during weekends in the alcohol-overflowing pubs of banglaore, poona, gurgaon, delhi, hyderabad, madras etc.

in the last two years, there has been hype about "startup companies" in india, centered around bangalore... but these companies are nonsense... 95 percent of them are about wrong things like online school/college exam preparation... some more are about developing cell phone apps which are not needed at all ( "emergency app for ladies' safety" - my friends, cell phones have helped no one ), some more are online shopping websites that could be developed in hyderabad or bangalore because some foreigners had already created the internet and the site development tools.

[ post to be developed further in further discussion ]

@jamahir

This post addresses one of the two pillars on which I believe modern India has been built, and ordinarily I would have been glad to offer my views for discussion. The other pillar is the formation of the middle class in the churn of the transition from country to town.

However, I have six urgent academic tasks: some of these were delayed due to a commitment to the Kashmir Study Circle to make a presentation to them on Kashmir: October 1947. As it happened, the study circle turned out to be a front organisation; I went prepared with ink-remover and paint-remover, but none of it was necessary.

Let the thread start at this point if anybody or everybody wish to get involved. With your permission, I will join in later.

I am an engineer and like few others, i didn't opt for one it was my parents who chose my education. Anyways, when I entered to my engineering college 10+ years ago, I made up my mind and was ready for it while on other hand till 4th year, I have seen almost 80% of the colleague were struggling to understand the basic meaning of Engineering.

Engineering is an approach to understand the problem, analyze the impact and provide an efficient resolution. Most of my colleagues struggled on this part and hence many were left in the race. Others, went to B schools to earn degree which according to me could be a professional advantage but demeaning to what profession you chose.

As I take lots of interviews, I have seen a lot of these engineers don't have any basic engineering approach.

I am an engineer and like few others, i didn't opt for one it was my parents who chose my education. Anyways, when I entered to my engineering college 10+ years ago, I made up my mind and was ready for it while on other hand till 4th year, I have seen almost 80% of the colleague were struggling to understand the basic meaning of Engineering.

Engineering is an approach to understand the problem, analyze the impact and provide an efficient resolution. Most of my colleagues struggled on this part and hence many were left in the race. Others, went to B schools to earn degree which according to me could be a professional advantage but demeaning to what profession you chose.

As I take lots of interviews, I have seen a lot of these engineers don't have any basic engineering approach.

More than 80% of the engineers I have encountered have had no clue about how to be engineers. But in compensation there were some sensational people amidst the 20%.

the picture in my long post above says 361,000.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Every year more than 15 lakh candidates to take the engineering entrance examinations across India. According to the relevant sources, more than 14 lakh engineering seats are available for admissions in the colleges across the country. Apart from engineering colleges, IITs, NITs and IIITs have their own engineering seats. More than 10,000 engineering seats are available in 16 IITs, 15,000 engineering seats are available in 25 NITs and 1,000 engineering seats are available in IIITs.

State Name - No of Colleges - No of Seats:
A & N Island - 1 - 90
Andhra Pradesh - 704 - 3,40,007
Arunachal Pardesh - 1 - 216
Assam - 11 - 3,501
Bihar - 19 - 5,209
Chandigarh - 5 - 1,551
Chhattisgarh - 53 - 24,479
Delhi - 20 -7,981
Goa - 4 - 1,200
Gujarat - 101 - 46,639
Haryana - 166 - 64,280