What's new

India seeks full membership of SCO

ChinaToday

Reaction score
Country
China
NEW DELHI: For the first time, India has officially sought full membership of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), the central Asian grouping dominated by China and Russia, looked upon by many as an emerging counter-weight to NATO.

India will vie for full membership with rival Pakistan — which officially applied much earlier and has China's backing — at the SCO summit meet next month in Kazakhstan's Astana where the group will take up the expansion issue.

Both India and Pakistan, along with Iran and Mongolia, have observer status at SCO. The group, which exercises immense influence in the energy-rich central Asia on security and economic issues, comprises Russia, China, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan as full-time members. SCO has become crucial for regional peace and Afghanistan has also sought observer status in the group.

India seeks full membership of SCO - The Times of India

Now india wants to join.

Nope. Not good. I am against the idea of India joining ANY camp for that matter. We've got the best of both sides due to our dislike for joining factions and that is the best way to remain so without agitating either side. Besides, SCO is a liability if we look at it properly: we have jittery ties to China, Russia is the only significant ally in this group while Central Asian gas is difficult to attain either without retaking Pak- side of Kashmir or otherwise. So what does this get us? An alliance of liability and discomfort.

I really hope better sense prevails a leadership that has a record of corrupt mismanagement in governance in the entire history of our ancient country.

Nope. Not good. I am against the idea of India joining ANY camp for that matter. We've got the best of both sides due to our dislike for joining factions and that is the best way to remain so without agitating either side. Besides, SCO is a liability if we look at it properly: we have jittery ties to China, Russia is the only significant ally in this group while Central Asian gas is difficult to attain either without retaking Pak- side of Kashmir or otherwise. So what does this get us? An alliance of liability and discomfort.

I really hope better sense prevails a leadership that has a record of corrupt mismanagement in governance in the entire history of our ancient country.

Also we could be leader for those countries which don't like either one. I presume there are quite a few of them.

Look from economic perspective it is not a liability as you are pointing it to be....SCO is not like NATO so i don't see how will we alienate anybody....Besides we already are there as observers, so not sure what harm we will get by formally joining. Also you must have heard about TAPI....so gas through central Asia via Pakistan is not something that cannot be done...

India? Why not, the SCO is not really a formal alliance structure. Most of the military exercise thus far have been counter-terrorism simulations.

I suppose it could increase cooperation in the region.

Though I don't know if it is a good idea to have BOTH Pakistan and India included in the SCO, due to the infighting that would occur.

Pakistan is the one we really need, they are the gateway to the warm waters of the Arabian sea.

Dont want India to join a organisation owned by the Chinese, dont want India to be a lap dog of China, we are too big for that.

India, Russia and China should have equal say and a neutral name.

Dont want India to join a organisation owned by the Chinese, dont want India to be a lap dog of China, we are too big for that.

India, Russia and China should have equal say and a neutral name.

petition that to your government and put that democracy to work, at this point clearly they disagree with you.

NEW DELHI: For the first time, India has officially sought full membership of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), the central Asian grouping dominated by China and Russia, looked upon by many as an emerging counter-weight to NATO.

India will vie for full membership with rival Pakistan — which officially applied much earlier and has China's backing — at the SCO summit meet next month in Kazakhstan's Astana where the group will take up the expansion issue.

Both India and Pakistan, along with Iran and Mongolia, have observer status at SCO. The group, which exercises immense influence in the energy-rich central Asia on security and economic issues, comprises Russia, China, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan as full-time members. SCO has become crucial for regional peace and Afghanistan has also sought observer status in the group.

India seeks full membership of SCO - The Times of India

Now india wants to join.

Firstly, nice to see India finally dropping its stance, this is a positive move. Secondly, this means India can no longer look at Pakistan as enemy or rival as everyone within this bloc is an ally.

I suppose it could increase cooperation in the region.

Though I don't know if it is a good idea to have BOTH Pakistan and India included in the SCO, due to the infighting that would occur.

Pakistan is the one we really need, they are the gateway to the warm waters of the Arabian sea.

India will not be causing problems for the alliance. Not when Russia and China are around and are the backbone of the alliance.

Back
Top Bottom