What's new

India’s influence wanes on world stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My bad ended up posting the wrong article. !!

Here's the one i intended to post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa represent about 40 percent of the world’s population and nearly 25 percent of its economic output. Yet momentum of the organized grouping of strong emerging economies could be fading, suggests Harsh V. Pant of King’s College. A major challenge to potential clout of BRICS is China’s dominance: “China’s power makes the other members nervous, leading them to hedge bets by investing in alternative alliances and partnerships even as China’s rapid accretion of economic and political power adds to its own challenges to to make friends,” Pant writes. Manufacturers in emerging economies gripe about contending with China’s currency manipulation, low-cost exports and trade barriers to its own markets. BRICS was supposed to demonstrate power shifting from the West to emerging economies. But four of the members seek equitable relationships and are nervous about serving as a platform for China’s rise.
– YaleGlobal

BRICS Not That Sturdy

China dominates BRICS with an economy larger than that of four other members combined

LONDON: With China’s President Xi Jinping planning to make his first foray into international diplomacy since his election at the BRICS annual summit in Durban and his singer wife slated to perform, the organization will hit the headlines. Again, there will be talk about this loose grouping of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa filling the emerging void left by the troubled US and European Union. But yet another summit and ritual show of unity won’t hide the emptiness at the core of BRICS. The strong display of China’s newfound power by its president will only underline the organization’s lopsided nature and lack of actual clout.
Representing around 40 percent of the world’s population and nearly a quarter of its economic output, BRICS does offer promise of clout. The economic profile of the five nations, especially that of China, has continued to grow with suggestions that BRICS collectively could become bigger than the US by 2018 and by 2050 even surpass the combined economies of G7 states.
Yet a major challenge for ongoing influence from BRICS is China’s dominance over the other four members. For all its promise, BRICS has remained a talk shop aspiring for greatness.
The first formal summit meeting was held in Russia in June 2009 with South Africa joining the group in December 2010, changing the nomenclature from BRIC to BRICS. The Yekaterinburg summit called for “a more democratic and just multipolar world order based on the rule of international law, equality, mutual respect, cooperation, coordinated action and collective decision-making of all states.” Since then the joint statements of the various BRICS summits have repeatedly underscored need for a realignment of the post–World War II global order based on the untrammelled supremacy of the US. As the US is preoccupied with internal troubles and the eurozone is mired in a debilitating debt crisis, a vacuum is increasingly being felt in the international system. This presents an opportunity for the BRICS to emerge as major global players. Plans are underway for some joint projects. The New Delhi summit resulted in a proposal to create a joint BRICS development bank that would finance investments in developing nations, and this year’s summit is expected to conclude negotiations for setting up this bank.

But overall momentum for BRICS, a much-hyped initiative, seems to be flagging. Growth-rate estimates for all the BRICS are steadily declining. Fluctuating economic trends, however, are not the leading reason behind the unworkability of the BRICS idea, but rather the structural disparity at the heart of the grouping.
China’s rise has been so fast and so spectacular that others are still trying to catch up. The Chinese economy is not only the second largest in the world but also larger than the economies of the other four members combined. China’s power makes the other members nervous, leading them to hedge bets by investing in alternative alliances and partnerships even as China’s rapid accretion of economic and political power adds to its own challenges to make friends. Given the leverage that China enjoys in BRICS, it should come as no surprise that Beijing has suggested that IBSA – the grouping of democracies India, Brazil and South Africa – be shut down in favor of BRICS.
China’s manipulation of its currency has resulted in significant problems for manufacturing sectors of other emerging powers. India, Brazil and South Africa all have expressed disenchantment with Beijing’s economic policies at various times. New Delhi has even imposed anti-dumping duties on a range of Chinese goods. China’s dominance of the intra-South trade remains overwhelming with other emerging powers struggling to get a share of the pie. Central bankers from Brazil and India spoke against the undervalued yuan in 2009 and 2010 to little effect.
BRICS momentum may be flagging. Growth-rate estimates are declining. Structural disparity is a challenge.
Economic ties between China and Brazil have grown, but so have frictions. China is not viewed as a fair competitor with Brazilian manufacturers accusing China of dumping diverted exports from Europe even as Brazilian manufacturers face steep non-tariff barriers in trying to export to China. Worried about the influx of investment and cheap imports from China, Brazilian manufacturers are losing market share to Chinese counterparts, and Brazil is also wary of China’s growing economic profile in South America, which Brazil considers its own sphere of influence.
Russia and China are united in their aversion to a US-led global political order, but elite distrust of each other remains. Though they coordinate in trying to scuttle western policies, as has been the case on Iran and Syria recently, the partnership is one of convenience. Russia’s failure to develop its Far East has allowed China to gain a toehold in this strategic region and allowed Beijing to define the Asian security landscape. And though China is the largest buyer of Russian conventional weaponry, many in Russia see this as counterproductive: China could emerge as the greatest potential security threat to Russia.
Likewise, Sino-India ties have witnessed a steady deterioration over the last few years on a variety of issues – from land border to maritime disputes. Despite the public pronouncements by the two sides, New Delhi remains skeptical of China’s intentions. Beijing’s refusal to acknowledge India’s rise and a lack of sensitivity on core security interests are leading to pushback. With overall bilateral trade worth $55 billion, India’s trade deficit with China rose to $23 billion in 2012.
Russia and China are united in an aversion to a US-led global political order, but distrust of each other remains.
South Africa’s relations with China are also not as wrinkle-free as so often made out in the popular media. Concerns have been rising that China’s economic power is strangling South African manufacturing while locking up vital resources for years, as the flood of Chinese finished goods to Africa has created a large trade imbalance. Textile mills in South Africa have closed down under the onslaught of inexpensive Chinese imports, leading to public protests. In a somewhat surprising outburst, former South African President Thabo Mbeki had warned that Africa risked becoming an economic colony of China if the growing trade imbalance between the two was not rectified. Though China has its share of supporters in South Africa, its extractive economic policy is leading to growing calls for a more equitable economic relationship.
The fascination with BRICS is partly an offshoot of the discussion on the emerging so-called post-American world. Many commentators argue multipolarity is likely to be the norm. Yet while BRICS may have growing economies, it’s not clear this can translate into power at the global level. Even if the BRICS get their economic act together, the grouping will find it difficult to turn that strength into a unified political force. China’s dominance makes most of the goals articulated by the BRICS states wobbly. The point of this coalition was always to show that the balance of power is shifting toward emerging countries, away from the West’s historical dominance. But a multipolar world isn’t the same as China just trying to tilt the balance of power toward itself.
The narrative surrounding the rise of BRICS is as exaggerated as that of decline for the US. The tectonic plates of global politics are certainly shifting, but their movements are unpredictable. BRICS will remain an artificial construct, merely an acronym coined by an investment banking analyst, for some time to come.

BRICS Not That Sturdy

So at last what you want say dude. BRICS and especially india is going down. ok i accept. and so pakistan influence is growing and you will overtake US in another one decade.best of luck to your nation.

:lol:

Really, Well madam wake up from last night hangover.....

Yr days r near very close.
Modi or Modda wont n cant save yr country from our wrath n freedom fighters.
and let me promise u if he made any hurdle for us we WILL KILL him in his home on his bedroom.
Dont worry we r more then capable of doing anything in yr country.

Is it so? So why was Kashmir NOT resolved even after 65 years? So you support terrorism?

Bring your freedom fighters... We saw their capability from 1989... We are waiting!
WWW_CavsClock_Brown11.jpg

But then a professional shouldn't either get involved in these mud slinging debates. :D

Couldn't just control when he was supporting a terror activity.

LOL mr indianarmy is an IQ of a little kid,:rofl:

they were americans not u nor they were here to kill any citizen of pak or attack on our parliament or even some 9 poorly trained mumbo jumbo kids comes in a small dingy n makes siege of our financial capital for 72 hrs n our intelligence of 150-155 budget is sleeping with dirt nor our blue water navy with 72 ships, aircraft carriers nuke subs were sleeping.:rofl:

Dont get personal with me, besides getting personal just shows your frustration.

So you come to say it were Pakistani Commandos who sneaked in the parliament? NSG commandos managed to rescue almost 700-800 people despite reaching the terror sites hours after the launch of the attacks. Never before done anywhere in the world,Despite all the ambiguities, the commandos managed to flush out the terrorists and win the battle.

We all know what umpire Taufel had to say about the brave Pakistani commandos who left the spot hearing gun shots, leaving the Lankan team in Horror.

After the Mumbai attacks we at least have taken action and strengthened our coastal and overall security, what has Pakistan done after OBL raids apart from going behind USA to get a share of their credit/achievement :rofl:

You guys even today get bombarded from USA in the form of Drones.

Besides the Americans used to new tech for this raid nor were our main raders were fixed in that corner of pak from they came.
But i wonder can u do that??
They people who were chest thumping after mumbai saga same in their super duper su 30 come over in the air space of pak n were locked by just mere f-16A n run away.:rofl:

Is that even an excuse that your radars were no positioned there??, Why Would we want to destroy your country when you are good at it yourselves?

flattering is a dangerous thing u know:lol:

You have revolutionized the term flattering for a person respecting people of your nationality. Sick:sick:

thanks for sharing @Windjammer u have really burst their bubbles as always:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

chettha nakodaka rojuko sari cheppu tho kottali ra mimmalni.... dhandupalyam lo meda kosinatly koyali....

:omghaha: funny thing is you guys commenting on our economy who is already bankrupt...burst bubble or my foot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously ...... :disagree:

A good opponent is worth respecting, besides, Windy is strictly against terrorism, he just pops up when you try pulling his leg, quite the instinct of any guy.

A good opponent is worth respecting, besides, Windy is strictly against terrorism, he just pops up when you try pulling his leg, quite the instinct of any guy.

Against terrorism or not , the only instance I have seen this guy is posting loads of anti-India articles and numerous rape threads.

Couldn't just control when he was supporting a terror activity.

He has done that regularly...... and always get away with it.... I remember the fascination he had for 26/11.... the happiness in innocent civilian death is quite evident in his posts... then you need to control your urge and not to fall to that leve

just replace Brazil with Pakstan and call it PRICS

hey that is my idea... and my proposal.... i already proposed PRICS.... don't steel it preeti? and look those 4 guys... they didn't thanked me when i proposed it... bad boys

Pakistani-p
Rwanda-R
Iraq-I
Congo-C
Somalia-S

hey that is my idea... and my proposal.... i already proposed PRICS.... don't steel it preeti? and look those 4 guys... they didn't thanked me when i proposed it... bad boys

Pakistani-p
Rwanda-R
Iraq-I
Congo-C
Somalia-S

PRICS The future of the world economy xD nice :omghaha:. You will surely get the next Nobel Price for economics ! :D

India’s influence wanes on world stage - Wrong.

India’s influence wanes on neighbors- True.

Never in my life time I have seen a government that has messed up relations with all the neighbors. ( i have seen atleast 10 govts)

• Pakistan- relation is same and negative.
  • Srilanka- messed up and on process of messing up more.
  • Bangladesh- regional concessions ignored on political reasons.
  • Maldives- messed with coup is now in bad shape for the first time in history.
  • Bhutan- deteriorated in last few years.
  • Nepal- lost influence and co operation and relation not good ever since maoists took over.
  • China- smile with them and then and complaining "they are aggressive, they will attack us" instead of dealing the core issues and addressing it like it should be.
    Myanmar- Myan what???

We can run away as if it will all come back to normalcy but many of these issues could have tackled in a professional diplomatic way.

Sad but true.

I think Indian diplomats got lured by the tag of a Global Player and left out it's neighborhood in the lurch - it seems we can only do one thing at a time.

chettha nakodaka rojuko sari cheppu tho kottali ra mimmalni.... dhandupalyam lo meda kosinatly koyali....

:omghaha: funny thing is you guys commenting on our economy who is already bankrupt...burst bubble or my foot.

annayya entidi ?? meeru marinu :omghaha:

Dont get personal with me, besides getting personal just shows your frustration.(1)

So you come to say it were Pakistani Commandos who sneaked in the parliament? NSG commandos managed to rescue almost 700-800 people despite reaching the terror sites hours after the launch of the attacks. Never before done anywhere in the world,Despite all the ambiguities, the commandos managed to flush out the terrorists and win the battle.(2)

We all know what umpire Taufel had to say about the brave Pakistani commandos who left the spot hearing gun shots, leaving the Lankan team in Horror.(3)

After the Mumbai attacks we at least have taken action and strengthened our coastal and overall security, what has Pakistan done after OBL raids apart from going behind USA to get a share of their credit/achievement :rofl:(4)

You guys even today get bombarded from USA in the form of Drones. (5)

Is that even an excuse that your radars were no positioned there??, Why Would we want to destroy your country when you are good at it yourselves?(6)

You have revolutionized the term flattering for a person respecting people of your nationality. Sick:sick:(7)

1) LOL really, the same indian army's famous attitude when in borders u fire us, but when we respond then u get numb.:lol:
Besides yr calling of Rehber as NASA's Rehber series was the proof of who was actually frustrate when he ran out of ammo.:rofl:

2)They were poorly trained local freedom fighters only we trained them righty so n armed them. But they were no where close to SSG standard fighters.
Rest is just something what is called consolation prize.

3)For yr kind info it was Chris Broad and do u even know his fellow Pakistani umpire??
Educate yrself.

Stuart Broad's father saved my life, says umpire shot by terrorists | Sport | The Guardian
What u claim is right then he wouldnt have save another pakistani. LOLZ

4)LOL mr indian army i dont know what have they taught u in dehradun, we r in a state of war ok STATE OF WAR let me remind it again STATE OF WAR. Its an environment of constant tussle or tug of war. Sometimes u win and sometimes they. Do u even know how many US soldiers killed after this n Salala Attack??
If no then do some research. If the US is saying that ISI is playing with them football then research abt it why!!

5)Those r terrorists even yr own country begs us to do more against terrorism because they kick yr ***** hard in Kashmir valley.:rofl:

Our protest in this regard is that this drone attacks must be done by pak itself in its territory not that we also will not do that once they stop them.
But r u good enough to do such thing in our country let say in Azad Kashmir??
LOL last time i remember that the great untouchable israeli made drone who came in our country in 2002 i think from indian army was blown in pieces let go bombardment.:rofl:

6)No it wasnt but that stealth tech in helis, that world saw for the first time.
rest is just an excuse or yr dream. As long as we have yr big DAddy ie ISI that will never happen.

7)BLAH BLAH as long as u feel good abt im happy for u, but if u ask me feeling is exactly mutual.:kiss3:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom