What's new

India retaliates

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is where the contention is - whether she enjoys diplomatic immunity vs consular immunity. U.S is treating as her having only consular immunity which would mean she is protected only for official work and not for personal reasons.

Consular immunity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Raymond Davis also only get consular protection for murder case.But now he is in USA.

She does not have the right to a maid. The fact that people are claiming that she can't pay more than she earns is WEAKENING HER CASE, STOP REPEATING THAT. STFU PLS.

The fact of the matter is, she works in India (Indian embassy) and therefore is subject to Indian laws. That is what matters. Not whether the diplomat is paying her help according to American laws.
so u.s decides who will have maid and who will not??and they will search for my posts and make her case complicated??all the allowances which were given to the maid are given from the indian govt.indian govt allots maid if not atleast give their salaries .just like in the case of other civil servants she is emtitled to certain facilities from the GOI.there is something called protocol if u ever heard of it..if us has anyproblem with that they should take it up with the indian govt.

Last edited:
Bbry0OUCMAAX4r4.jpg:large

proxy.jpg

There is no source which claims she was strip searched - read the Hindu article above. Even her attorney does not claim so. It is just that the Indian media picked up the news from somewhere else.

And no one in US government dismisses that news.

LOL. Most certainly we should learn. Better late than never.

Indian rape laws are pretty strict and if any Indian worker working in the US consulate ever charges any US consulate member of even attempting to rape, they go to Jail without any possibility of Bail. :lol:

Withdrawing the member's diplomatic status is only the first step towards taking stronger action against them. This should get pretty interesting.

She is a Deputy Consul General of the US mission so that makes her No. 2 in the Indian embassy.

She does have diplomatic immunity and the US has taken refuge in a technicality to arrest her. There will be Serious Long lasting repercussions and then the NYPD police chief and DA can explain to the US public and the govt. why they did, what they did.

At the time of her arrest she was the acting consul general, i.o.w she enjoyed full diplomatic immunity.

Row over Devyani Khobragade's arrest intensifies: 10 developments | NDTV.com

Row over Devyani Khobragade's arrest intensifies: 10 developments
Cheat Sheet | Reported by Nidhi Razdan, Namrata Brar, Edited by Surabhi Malik | Updated: December 17, 2013 17:13 IST

Devyani_360x270_5.jpg

New Delhi: In what are being called first reciprocal steps, India has signalled its displeasure at the arrest and "barbaric treatment" treatment of its diplomat in New York, Devyani Khobragade, with a slew of tough measures like asking US diplomats and their families in consulates all over the country to surrender their identity cards and withdrawing airport passes for them.
Here are the latest updates on this story:
  1. India has also sought salary details of all Indian staff employed in US consulates, including those working as domestic help at the homes of US diplomats in India. It has asked for visa and salary details of teachers at US schools here to determine if they are paying tax or not.
  2. The police have been asked to lift barricades outside the US embassy in Delhi. India is also stopping all import clearances for the embassy. (Devyani Khobragade's arrest: angry India takes reciprocal steps)
  3. India is livid that Ms Khobragade, 39, was subjected to a humiliating strip search and was kept in a cell with drug addicts after her arrest last Thursday. She has refused to comment on this.
  4. External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said earlier today, "it is completely unacceptable... We have put in motion what we believe will be an effective way to address this issue and protect her dignity... Everything that can be done, will be done"
  5. This morning, Congress Vice president Rahul Gandhi and Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde refused to meet a visiting US Congressional delegation. The BJP's Prime Ministerial candidate and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi tweeted that he too has refused to meet the delegation "in solidarity with our nation." Sources said senior officials in the foreign ministry had urged Mr Khurshid to cancel his meeting yesterday with the US team too, but the minister chose to meet them and convey India's displeasure.
  6. The BJP's Yashwant Sinha said this was not enough action. He said, "The media has reported that we have issued visas to a number of US diplomats' companions. Companions means that they are of the same sex. Now, after the Supreme Court ruling (on gay sex verdict), it is completely illegal in our country. Just as paying fewer wage was illegal in the US. So, why doesn't the Government of India go ahead and arrest all of them! Put them behind bars, prosecute them in this country and punish them?"
  7. Yesterday, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and National Security Advisor Shiv Shankar Menon cancelled meetings in Delhi with the delegation. Mr Menon has described Ms Khobragade's treatment as "despicable and barbaric."
  8. Ms Khobragade, 39, was arrested on Thursday on the street while she was dropping her daughter to school and was handcuffed in public. She was later released on a $250,000 bail. She has been accused of lying on the visa application for an Indian national who worked at her home from November 2012 to June 2013 for less than four dollars an hour.
    (Indian diplomat arrested in US for alleged visa fraud, handcuffed in public)
  9. A day later, Foreign secretary Sujatha Singh summoned American ambassador in New Delhi, Nancy Powell, and lodged a strong protest over what India has described as "unacceptable treatment" meted out to its senior consular officer. (India summons US ambassador to protest diplomat being handcuffed)
  10. Noel Clay, a spokesperson for the US State Department, told NDTV that standard procedures had been followed during Ms Khobragade's arrest. Mr Clay also said, "Under the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, the Indian Deputy Consul General enjoys immunity from the jurisdiction of US courts only with respect to acts performed in the exercise of consular functions." India has argued that the US has violated the Vienna Convention.
Story First Published: December 17, 2013 11:32 IST

Man... US really has a knack of turning public opinion against them within no time! Arrogance...

That would bring back the same question, how do the officer know she is an diplomat? The arrest warrant will not have a little remark saying "beware, she is a diplomat"

Maybe I wasn't so clear before, I think the whole situation is messed up. If DA and justice department were up to the game, they will let the state department to handle it and lead a diplomatic security team to go to the embassy and arrest her there. But under the current circumstance, I would have to say the procedure is adequate.

I am not a judge, I am simply stating fact according to the law :)

I am his wife, I am a lawyer and he pass me his phone and tell me to answer this ...

- cathy

I thought that you guys are in Australia, not America.

Last edited:
As an American, this was handled wrong. I would never defend her actions....but if she had diplomatic immunity, you tell her to leave, and don't put hands on her. That is the whole point of diplomatic immunity.

As an American you think that, but the Indian-American think she was treated rightly.....isn't it called 'being more loyal than the queen'??

Last edited:
You are a tax paying American citizen, cuz if you are an Indian citizen I have a very different language to deal with you.

The Law most certainly cannot take it own course. She is a Indian diplomat and is entitled to diplomatic immunity under the long held practices of the Vienna convention. In letter and in sprite.

The NYPD and the NY DA chickened out from arresting 49 Russian diplomatic members accused in Medicaid scam. But they choose to arrest an Indian diplomat in front of her kids and lock her up with drug addicts ?

How come there is "pressure from Washington DC" for Russian diplomats and NOT for Indian diplomats ?

How come the NYPD and the NY DA who you claim "will not back down", backed down from arresting the Russians ? :lol: SHAME ON YOU.

He is bigot ....he has chosen to side with country where he is dependent on his rozi - roti ?

He will go any length to defend US ....

No point in talking reason to him ....

earlier he deliberately side stepped my questions that posed to him ....

He has nothing more to say than defend US action

I pity such Indians with divided loyalties ...

If true, this is a disaster for India and this diplomat.

It sounds more and more like this unscrupulous and abusive diplomat used her connections to harass the nanny and her family in India. This aside from the fact that she broke any number of US laws.

abusive diplomat ? where did you get from ? she was being given more than 30000 Rs. , free food, shelter in new york....what more can you ask for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom