What's new

India receives Rs 65,000 crore investment proposals for semiconductor and electronics manufacturing

y
BANGALORE: The department of electronics and information technology (DeitY) has received proposals for investments worth a total of about Rs 65,000 crore in the area of semiconductor and electronics manufacturing.

Of these, proposals for investments of about Rs 13,800 crore are under an incentive scheme, and the remaining accounts for investments in two silicon wafer foundries India is looking to build. At the IESA Vision Summit 2014, the annual industry conclave of Indian Electronics and Semiconductor Association, J Satyanarayana, secretary of DeitY, said, "We have identified 2014 as 'Made in India' year. We are creating the infrastructure for the sector."

pixel.gif

Over the past year, the government has announced a number of incentives for encouraging electronic manufacturing in the country known as Modified Special Incentive Package Scheme (M-SIPS), under which companies in certain electronic clusters will get about 25 per cent of costs as subsidies.
So far, the department has received over Rs 13,800 crore of investments proposals and cleared proposals worthRs 4,000 crore. "Many companies like Samsung and Bosch have received the approval for setting up their units in Noida.

Apart from this, government has set a corpus sum of Rs 30,000 crore for setting up electronic manufacturing clusters." IESA has been working with the government to reduce India's dependence on imports for electronic components. According to a report by IESA, the industry is expected to grow at a CAGR of 9.9 per cent to reach $94.2 billion (Rs 5.9 lakh crore) by 2015.

Currently, over 65 per cent of electronic products are imported and even the rest is mainly low-value added manufacturing. Satyanarayana stressed the need of India designing wafers. "Unless that happens, it won't give fillip to manufacturing in the country." India's first semiconductor characterisation lab is expected to come up in Bangalore in the next six months, said Omkar Rai, director-general of STPI.

Right now, 'fab-less' companies, meaning firms which don't have their own foundries, in India have to rely on countries such as Singapore or Taiwan (if there is a bulk order) for characterisation of their semicon wafers. Characterisation refers to figuring out how well a particular semiconductor design works.

The project, jointly developed by the Karnataka government, STPI and IESA, will be based on the PPP model and Bangalore-based Tessolve has been identified as the vendor to carry out this project.
Depending on the success of this lab, a second one is being planned in Bhubhaneswar and is expected to come up in a year's time. The central government has also given an in-principle nod for setting up India's first Electronic System Design and Manufacturing (ESDM) brown-field cluster in Electronic City, Bangalore at an estimated cost of Rs 85.15 crore.
yet again major industrialization boost by upa

@levina doesn't even know what a conductor is let alone a semi or a super conductor ! :whistle:

In her Engineering Exams when she asked to name a Semi-Conductor used in the manufacture of Bus Engines she wrote :

Praful the part time Bus Conductor ! :blink:

At least you were better than @Ayush who wrote 'I don't take Bus to college so I don't know what his name is' ! :disagree:

I still don't get it why people are linking development projects to any party. Especially projects likes this, which we needed way back in the 80'. If this was just a congress govt. decision then they could have taken it 20 years ago. I have said this before also and am going to say it again, it couldn't have mattered who was in power, this kind of project could have taken place none the less. :hitwall:

Thanks for sharing this @Bhai Zakir ,very informative :yahoo: :yahoo::tup: :tup: :cheers:

Ur most welcome sevraj.

I still don't get it why people are linking development projects to any party. Especially projects likes this, which we needed way back in the 80'. If this was just a congress govt. decision then they could have taken it 20 years ago. I have said this before also and am going to say it again, it couldn't have mattered who was in power, this kind of project could have taken place none the less. :hitwall:

1.) U mean if anything bad by govt then one should automaticaly blame congress but if anything positive by govt. then congress don't get any credit? :blink::blink:

2.) Why don't u apply same logic on Modi who takes credit of even Amul Milk which is 40 years old thing in the times of congress both in Gujarat or central govt. :blink::blink:

Ur most welcome sevraj.

1.) U mean if anything bad by govt then one should automaticaly blame congress but if anything positive by govt. then congress don't get any credit? :blink::blink:

2.) Why don't u apply same logic on Modi who takes credit of even Amul Milk which is 40 years old thing in the times of congress both in Gujarat or central govt. :blink::blink:

1)As I said, I don't bring gov. into development projects, Congress or BJP.

2)He shouldn't do that. The only person that should take credit for white revolution is "Dr Verghese Kurien".

1)As I said, I don't bring gov. into development projects, Congress or BJP.

2)He shouldn't do that. The only person that should take credit for white revolution is "Dr Verghese Kurien".

Bhai, its ur point of view and i respect it.

But tell me if we don't give credit but only criticize how the hell we expect good work??

As for Dr Verghese Kurien he is most respected but who have provided money, facilities, technology and permission and working environment to him, its govt.

As for mOdi he was just a kid at the time of Dr Verghese Kurien's operation flood but he fools people by taking credit.

As for Dr Verghese Kurien he is most respected but who have provided money, facilities, technology and permission and working environment to him, its govt.
Ofcourse the above is provided by the gov., but it couldn't have mattered who was in power. The project could have got sanctioned anyway, same goes for the green revolution and semi conductor fab units.

OK, found what I was looking for, maybe this will convince you what im trying to say.

industry lobby The India Electronics and Semiconductor Association (IESA) lauded the notification saying it is "a highly strategic game changer for India".
The government approval is good news for the Indian semiconductor industry that has been lobbying hard for local chip manufacturing since 2005.

The gov. doesn't put forth these proposals but industry lobbies do. Who ever is in power will have to listen to these people as they have power and money to jeopardies the reputation of the gov. in power, plus its a development project which reflects good on the gov., its win-win for them.

Will India be next semiconductor manufacturing facilities hub? - Business Today

Last edited:
I hope this project goes one step further and materialises . Electronical and Mechanical engineers a very opportunity awaits you guys !!

Someone tell this frustrated congress boot licker that these kind of Development fundings are a responsibility of GOI and not some bloody "Ehsaan" to this Nation :sarcastic:
Rehen de bhai . Pehli baar to 4 + 1/2 years mey congress ne acha kaam kiya hai , phir bhi vote to Modi hi milega :lol:

@levina doesn't even know what a conductor is let alone a semi or a super conductor ! :whistle:

In her Engineering Exams when she asked to name a Semi-Conductor used in the manufacture of Bus Engines she wrote :

At least you were better than @Ayush who wrote 'I don't take Bus to college so I don't know what his name is' ! :disagree:
Butt Sahib! Hud hundi a :rofl:
Trolling vi irrelevant e kari jane o ?

u are jealous :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom