What's new

India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report

I'll wait until there is another source on this purchase. AFAIK the Chinese have mostly bought licensed production of most of the Rusians Airdefence systems. And thats why they are not copies or as "Chinese" as the fanboys claim. I don't believe the military in India would purchase the S-400 system, even for Delhi which has in place S-300 system difference being marginal at best in terms of actual performance deterrence difference.
India has Akash which covers 2000 sq KM which is a lot of coverage for a cheap SAM as cheap as AKASH and it actually has good all round capability against ground hugging targets like cruise missiles given its chase advantage.
Other thing is to not the eventual arrival of the LRSAM which is the Barak 8 with a longer booster. The biggest advantage to the S-300/400 long range missiles was that they could cover a large area like Russia which is for the most part flat.
India is in no way as big as Russia or as flat, so to have missile designed for Russian would be an expensive mistake.

People here don't get how S-400 batteries are deployed.Russian regulation is 1 s-400 battery is always protected and accompanied by 2 quick reaction short range pantsyrs.S-400 deal with aircraft,AWACS and LACMs at all ranges due to having different missiles.The QR-SAM protects the S-400 battery from anti-radiation ,PGM attacks.In indian scenario replace Pantsyr with israeli SPYDER.
S-400 does put all forward PAF airbases and AWACS at risk even if it is held back 150-200kms to the rear of the border.But its a counter to chinese s-400 purchase.It will also serve as counter for Chinese SRBMs,Nasr,Babur.Overall large range of options for IAF.
I believe one of the main reasons this fighter is being thought of is threat of 5th gen chinese fighters,and lack of progress on PAKFA.

@Oscar @Joe Shearer This was what I am talking about.

@Raje amar I hope you can clarify your doubt.

@MastanKhan

Some thinks India should have joined Russia in S-500 and India lost the chance, what the spec of S-500

They advertise S 500 as it will down anything which flies. Speed mach 21 and it shall hit anything starting from cruise missile to plane to ballistic missile to LEO satellite. It is a bloody beast and grand pa of any BMD. Totally unmatched. Nothing can come close.

We really made mistake indeed.

I also agree about the standardizing, but ATAGS, Dhanush 52, are some what far away.

ATAGS is in the very early stages of prototyping, Dhanush 52 is basically waiting on ATAGS for it's upgrade. And the trialing process itself takes years. It is some what far off.

Alarm bells for China, Pakistan; India eyes S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems | Zee News

New Delhi: In what would certainly set alarm bells ringing in China and Pakistan, India is planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems, reports said on Thursday.

The Indian administration is expected to soon take up the proposal with Russian authorities.

Notably, Prime Minister Narendra Mod is scheduled to visit Russia in December, where he is expected to take up the matter with President Vladimir Putin. Also, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar is expected to visit India's neighbour in the near future.

The S-400 is a new generation anti-aircraft system, which can be equipped with very long-range missiles (up to 400km), long-range (250km) and medium-range (120km).

The S-400 Triumf is capable of countering all air attack weapons, including tactical and strategic aircraft, ballistic missiles and hypersonic targets such as the US F-35 fighter jet.

Meanwhile, a report recently published by Credit Suisse on globalisation has ranked the Indian armed forces as the fifth strongest military in the world.

While India was ranked fifth, United States of America held the number one position followed by Russia, China and Japan.

According to Credit Suisse report on the trend of globalisation, the US scored 0.94. It was followed by Russia (0.8), China (0.79), Japan (0.72), India (0.69), France (0.61), South Korea (0.52), Italy (0.52), Britain (0.5) and Turkey (0.47).

Importantly, Pakistan was ranked No 11 with a score of 0.41.

India is likely to purchase 10-12 S-400s.

The S-400 can engage up to 36 targets simultaneously with as many as 72 missiles at altitudes of five meters to 30 km.

Back
Top Bottom