What's new

India, Pak to sign US $7 billion gas pipeline deal

blocking the pipeline in response to any reaction of India

Pakistan blocks gas, India blocks water, fair game, tit for tat!

Who will say what?

For humans what is more important, Oil or water?

But this is absurd, no one will or can stop water.

Like we have nothing else to do but blocking the pipeline in response to any reaction of India

Grow up yara....... fed up of these posts now

Try to think strategically and you'll know what I mean.

What are only shooting ourselves in the foot.

Try to think strategically and you'll know what I mean.

What are only shooting ourselves in the foot.

I heard a story when I was a child.

There was a village somewhere in India where 4 brothers used to live. One day their father died and left vast land of agriculture behind. So the brothers gathered and started consulting with each other about what they should seed in this land so that they could sell in the market and earn rupees for survival....so they started talking about different agricultural items one by one and ultimately decided to grow sugar-canes.

And one of the brother raised concerns that the sugar-canes are very large in size so when they are fully grown up, it is possible that the peoples will come and try to steal our sugar-canes when we are not here.... and after hearing this, all brothers decided to go to their neighbourhood and start beating children's and screaming as "Will you come to steal our sugar-canes"? Those 4 brothers hadn't cultivated any land, but they were beating those poor childrens in Advance..... that after the sugar-canes re grown up....they don't come

Moral of the story is, You are talking like those brothers here

India need Gas, they need to supply gas to its peoples.... now no matter how they get it, but she needs gas effectively and uninterruptedly in order to ensure her industries running smoothly.... Here the first priority is not "from where they are going to buy this gas" but the first priority is, they need gas.... in other scenario they need alternatives...and unfortunately there are not many alternatives available of Gas and whichever alternative is available is also very expensive so it shouldn't make much difference

If Pakistan will ever block the pipeline, it will diminish Pakistan's reputation in the World and if India tries to block Pakistan's water, it is fully understandable to go to any extents in response....But be assured, India is not silly...They will never do such mistake even in the state of war as they are fully aware of the Intentional pressure they are going to be facing in such scenario.

Last but not least, This deal is fully catered by the United States who is considered as Holy by the both respective Governments of Pakistan & India.

I heard a story when I was a child.

There was a village somewhere in India where 4 brothers used to live. One day their father died and left vast land of agriculture behind. So the brothers gathered and started consulting with each other about what they should seed in this land so that they could sell in the market and earn rupees for survival....so they started talking about different agricultural items one by one and ultimately decided to grow sugar-canes.

And one of the brother raised concerns that the sugar-canes are very large in size so when they are fully grown up, it is possible that the peoples will come and try to steal our sugar-canes when we are not here.... and after hearing this, all brothers decided to go to their neighbourhood and start beating children's and screaming as "Will you come to steal our sugar-canes"? Those 4 brothers hadn't cultivated any land, but they were beating those poor childrens in Advance..... that after the sugar-canes re grown up....they don't come

Moral of the story is, You are talking like those brothers here

India need Gas, they need to supply gas to its peoples.... now no matter how they get it, but she needs gas effectively and uninterruptedly in order to ensure her industries running smoothly.... Here the first priority is not "from where they are going to buy this gas" but the first priority is, they need gas.... in other scenario they need alternatives...and unfortunately there are not many alternatives available of Gas and those who are available are also very expensive so it shouldn't make much difference

If Pakistan will ever block the pipeline, it will diminish Pakistan's reputation in the World and if India tries to block Pakistan's water, it is fully understandable to go to any extents in response....But be assured, India is not silly...They will never do such mistake even in the state of war as they are fully aware of the Intentional pressure they are going to be facing in such scenario.

Last but not least, This deal is fully catered by the United States who is considered as Holy by the both respective Governments of Pakistan & India.

You completely missed my point.

You are telling me that, in case of a war, Pakistan will intentionally miss a chance to cause damage to India!

Why? What will hold it back from doing so? USA? ADB?

Cmon man who cares about international treaties or something in times of war? Why will Pakistan?

There's way too much trust deficit between our countries for me too believe in that logic buddy.

And as far as our need for gas goes, yes it does exist and is growing by the day but that doesn't mean that we should hand out our neck to our biggest adversary.

You completely missed my point.

You are telling me that, in case of a war, Pakistan will intentionally miss a chance to cause damage to India!

Why? What will hold it back from doing so? USA? ADB?

Cmon man who cares about international treaties or something in times of war? Why will Pakistan?

There's way too much trust deficit between our countries for me too believe in that logic buddy.

And as far as our need for gas goes, yes it does exist and is growing by the day but that doesn't mean that we should hand out our neck to our biggest adversary.
oh bhai meray, this gas pipeline is not the life-line of India........ It is not going to effect much if Pakistan even blocks this pipeline in case of War...

The maximum damage It can do is, couple of industries will not run for a few days until the war lasts....So what? Gas shortage even takes place during peace-time.... but you are forgetting we are no longer in those 1965s periods, now the missiles are going to decide the destiny :)

Its only going to be a short term war even if it takes place........ and honestly speaking, India will not and should not worry about Pakistan for blocking the gas pipeline again n again.... Only problem they will be worried about is the Tarrif.... If thats expensive just like what happened in Iran's deal, they may not go ahead - but if they receive an affordable package - they will surely enter the project without your or my opinion :lol:

I honestly do not know how big this pipeline is going to be. But if it is going to be huge like a lifeline or something, then...

I honestly do not know how big this pipeline is going to be. But if it is going to be huge like a lifeline or something, then...

Its actually one of the biggest deals both Pakistan & India will ever make.... and the amount of gas is huge... But that does not mean it will be stopped for good......even if the gas pipeline is stopped - only couple of industries might be effected - and what else? - nothing

Remember 1965 War? - how many days it lasted?
Remember 1999? - for how many days both nations fought?

Now its going to be even shorter.... and Gas is not the life-line since you can survive without gas...... but Water is..... That is already under the control of India

Its actually one of the biggest deals both Pakistan & India will ever make.... and the amount of gas is huge... But that does not mean it will be stopped for good......even if the gas pipeline is stopped - only couple of industries might be effected - and what else? - nothing

How do you say that?:undecided:

highly un-likely, since India balked at the IPI project at the last minute!!!- sine there is complete 'mistrust' between India and Pakistan, there cant be any developments of this type.

Last edited:
highly un-likely, since India balked at the IPI project at the last minute!!!- sine there is complete 'mistrust' between India and Pakistan, there cant be any developments of this type.
the main reason because of that india balked was iran was not ready to provide the security of the pipeline upto india pakistan border. they were ready till iran pakistan border. that was not unacceptable to us.

^^ Turkmenistan perhaps has agreed to provide the pipeline's security until our borders, leading to the signing of the agreement.

Lengthy procedures delaying IP gas pipeline

Lengthy procedures delaying IP gas pipeline

KARACHI: Work on Iran-Pakistan (IP) gas pipeline faces continuous delay because of lengthy procedures, an official said on Wednesday.

The government was to award consultancy contract for the billion-dollar pipeline to Munich-based ILF Consulting Engineers a month ago, which would have marked the first step toward its construction. Documents for the contract were finally prepared in early September, but they are being redrafted for approval by Petroleum Minister Naveed Qamar and the special steering committee overseeing the project.

“The contract is for bankable feasible study and route survey,” said an official who worked on the project till recently. “The study should have been in our hands by June 2010. We should have been working on the financial close by now. Rules of business have to be followed. One official takes notes and then someone else proposes an action and it comes back with more questions.”

After the court intervention in Mashal LNG Project, senior petroleum ministry officials are wary of pushing ahead their recommendations. The Supreme Court had told off A G Sabri, a senior official of Petroleum Ministry, in the LNG case.

“No one wants to risk his neck. This is such a technical subject with so many complexities involved,” the official said. “Who will take the decisions in such a situation?” Pakistan will import 750 million cubic feet per day (MMCFD) of gas from Iran through the pipeline. Foreign consultants along with National Engineering Services Pakistan Limited (Nespak) will have to prepare feasibility within 12 months after they get the contract.

Work on the $1.5 billion pipeline, which will zigzag 1900 kilometer from Iran’s South Pars field to Sindh, is pending for years even as Pakistan spends about $10 billion every year to import oil. There are different routes being considered for the project but the likely path will be through Balochistan’s Gwadar district.

Iran has already started construction on its part of the pipeline. The government is pushing ahead with the project even as concerns loom over dealing with Iran, which has been slapped with UN sanctions over its controversial nuclear programme.

Government officials have started talking about Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) gas pipeline, while the IP pipeline project faces delay.

Domestic gas production stands at 4 billion cubic-feet per day, while demand stands at around 4800mmcfd, according to some estimates. The security of the Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline remains a big issue. Baloch militants who demand greater provincial autonomy attack gas pipeline infrastructure regularly.

Back
Top Bottom