What's new

India opens multi-purpose Integrated Check Post along Bangladesh border

Srinivas

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
India opens multi-purpose Integrated Check Post along Bangladesh border
Agartala: India's second international-standard multi-purpose Integrated Check Post (ICP) and the first along the Bangladesh border opened on Sunday to people at Akhaurah, near Agartala.

Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde inaugurated the check post, built at a cost of Rs.74 crore, in the presence of Bangladesh Home Minister Mohiuddin Khan Alamgir and senior officials of the two countries.

The first international standard ICP was inaugurated in Attari in Punjab along the Pakistan border by then union home minister P. Chidambaram (now union finance minister) in April 2012.

"The multi-use ICPs would boost trade and economy between India's northeastern states and Bangladesh and make available various facilities among the trans-border passengers and traders," an official of the Land Ports Authority of India (LPAI) told IANS.

"Trade between India and Pakistan through ICP at Attari increased a lot after it was opened 18 months ago," he said.

"Trade and movement of people between Bangladesh and northeastern states are increasing every year and this would further increase by opening of the Akhaurah ICP. This is the first of its kind along the Bangladesh border," the official said.

The Akhaurah land customs station deals with around 4,500 people every month travelling between the two countries.

On an average 150 to 200 visas were issued per day earlier this year, but now it has come down to around 70 to 100 per day due to political turmoil in Bangladesh.

Akhaurah land customs station (LCS) is the second biggest land port along the Bangladesh border after the Petrapole-Benapole check post in West Bengal. It is one of the most important international trading land ports in eastern India, with an average of 200 Bangladeshi trucks loaded with goods entering Tripura every day.

The two-day ninth meeting of the India-Bangladesh Joint Group of Customs, which was held in Dhaka October 21-22, agreed to keep the LCSs at Petrapole-Benapole and Akhaurah (close to Agartala city) operational for seven days a week from January 2014.

"In the first phase, seven ICPs are being set up at Raxaul and Jogbani (in Bihar) along the Nepal border, Attari (in Punjab) along the Pakistan border, Moreh (Manipur) along the border with Myanmar and Akhaurah (in Tripura), Dawki (in Meghalaya) and Petrapole (in West Bengal) along the border with Bangladesh," said an official report.

"The ICPs are being commissioned to secure India's borders against interests hostile to the country and to put in place systems to interdict such elements while facilitating legitimate trade and commerce as a part of an overall strategy for improved border management," the report said.

The ICPs, being built at expenditures ranging from Rs.35 crore to Rs.170 crore - with a total outlay of Rs.635 crore - would be sanitised zones with dedicated passenger and cargo terminals and space for regulatory agencies besides necessary modern facilities under one roof.

"The setting up of 13 ICPs along India's international border is a major initiative which the Centre has undertaken as part of a scheme envisaged during the 11th Five Year Plan (2007-12) at a cost of Rs.635 crore," the home ministry report added.

Customs and immigration facilities, weigh bridges, security and scanning equipment, currency exchange booths, internet facility, cargo process building, cargo inspection sheds, warehouse and cold storage, health and quarantine facilities, clearing agents, banks, scanners, closed circuit televisions, public address systems, isolation bay, parking, cafeteria, hotels and other public utilities would also be available.

India shares a 4,096-km border with Bangladesh, 3,323 km with Pakistan, 1,751 km with Nepal and 1,643 km with Myanmar.

Like the Airports Authority of India, the central government had set up the LPAI in 2010 to supervise construction work, maintenance and control of the ICPs.

India opens multi-purpose Integrated Check Post along Bangladesh border | NDTV.com

My state is gaining importance....I hope to see an international airport next :toast_sign:
What is sad is that North East States are still not connected with Assam with high quality expressways.

If anything this should be the main focus of that area.

What is sad is that North East States are still not connected with Assam with high quality expressways.

If anything this should be the main focus of that area.

true...the national highwy 44 that connects us to Assam right now is just not enough

tripura should get better integration with bd and rest of NE states. Your CM is pro BD which will help.

well Tripura and bd are gonna be connected by rail too ....trade potential is definitely very high.
Just a few years ago we did not even have a cinema hall here but development is really booming now :-)

Last edited:
true...the national highwy 44 that connects us to Assam right now is just not enough
Not even close. Very bad roads in the North East. And that is why movement of people and trade suffers.

well Tripura and bd are gonna be connected by rail too ....trade potential is definitely very high.
Just a few years ago we did not even have a cinema hall here but development is really booming now :-)
That is quite surprising!
I hope Tripura develops really fast and catches up.

North East shouldn't even be apart of India anyway lol, if anything it's Bangladesh that has more cultural and geographical ties with the place. Indian's only lock of the NE because if they didn't have that place then they wouldn't be able to boast their ethnic 'diversity'.

North East shouldn't even be apart of India anyway lol, if anything it's Bangladesh that has more cultural and geographical ties with the place. Indian's only lock of the NE because if they didn't have that place then they wouldn't be able to boast their ethnic 'diversity'.

Bangladesh has cultural ties with the North East? Good one:lol:

Bangladesh has cultural ties with the North East? Good one:lol:

Stop putting that smug front, the people of Assam are closer to Sylheti's than the mainland Indians and I think I should know that seeing as I've seen and know so many Assamese/Manipuri's in Sylhet...

Stop putting that smug front, the people of Assam are closer to Sylheti's than the mainland Indians and I think I should know that seeing as I've seen and know so many Assamese/Manipuri's in Sylhet...

have you witnessed the Nellie massacre as well?

Even without NE, India will be incredibly diverse place. NE itself is quite diverse place, which parts of NE do you guys have cultural ties with?

Ok so a few Assamese got bum raped by
Even without NE, India will be incredibly diverse place. NE itself is quite diverse place, which parts of NE do you guys have cultural ties with?

Culture's are similar with Sylheti's and Assamese. Geographically, it doesn't make sense for Assam to be defined under India. Please look at the map, also don't get butt hurt.

Bangladesh logic, never ceases to amuse me :lol:

Couple of things, Sylhetis form roughly 5-7% of the total Bangladeshi population. So technically Sylhet region should secede from Bangladesh and join Asaam, India, and not the other way round.

Second thing, you can't just keep saying culturally and geographically same, without actually giving any reasons! What are some of these similarities that you keep harping about? Lets hear them.

And what the fck does "Geographically similar" means anyways. All of Bangladesh is geographically similar to West Bengal, does it mean Bangladesh should be a part of India?

Assam just by itself is more diverse than all of Bangladesh, so forget about the diversity in the rest of India. You have no clue about Assam or the North East, so don't embarrass yourself.

The only country Bangladesh is culturally similar to is Saudi Arabia.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom