What's new

India offers Pakistan 5,000MW electricity

i prefer China in this Regard :whistle:
..China is good..can take care of all your problems...
..Your goverment, judicial, health,security, etc..etc.it can take care of everythingh...U just have rename pakistan to South West Tibet..
Simple !!:enjoy:

I wonder what Zaid Hamid has to say about this? :D

I am hopeful that our peace overtures would detract the common Pakistani from forming a negative opinion of India. We don't care for the extremists however.....I'm sure our military and internal defense forces would be more than glad to speed up their appointment with the devil.

they most probably going to export through wagah border amritsar. we use to have shortage of electricity couple of years ago then state government invested a lot in power sector and it was privatised. now we have surplus power and our ACs even the 3 - 4 ton ones work pretty well unlike before. but the powercom is becoming bankrupt cause of free supply to farmers. so this export of electricity to pakistan is good. to take it to south india from punjab will cost a lot more and there will b loss of electricity.

Most parts of India are facing huge power outages, why would they offer electricity to Pakistan when they can't fulfill their own needs?

How many times , we have to explain same thing ..It is easy to export from Gujarat or Punjab to Sindh or Lahore than South India.
It is few 100 KM across border but few 1000 for South India from Punjab not practical due to line loss (general physics ) .
So you want to worry for Indian power shortage or need it for Pakistan , which is suffering more than India because of power shortage in any field. We are in process of double our generation capacity in next 10-15 years but I don't see any plans in Pakistan..

According to my understanding a typical two conductor bundle will have a line loss of 40MW for 100 miles or 160km
about 4 percent(1000MW load) loss. Long distance transmission to like South India is not feasible which is at least 1000 km from Punjab.

Power to Pak? Twitterati targets Indian envoy
Chidanand Rajghatta

http://http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/Power-to-Pak-Twitterati-targets-Indian-envoy/articleshow/16259825.cms

WASHINGTON: Electricity export to energy-starved Pakistan and other neighbouring countries maybe the Indian power elites' idea of a confidence building measure, but it's not finding favour with Indians at the receiving end of outages, least those on social media.

India's ambassador to the US, Nirupama Rao, got singed by twitterati after she boldly backed New Delhi's proposal for a 500 MW cross border transmission to Pakistan which was announced in Parliament on Monday. Rao said in a tweet that India is "also responding to power needs of Nepal and Bangladesh".

The blowback was swift. "Madam, we don't have surplus power on d first place. Doing charity with a hungry belly is not pragmatic," one twitterer wrote. Another tweet, presumably referring to PM Manmohan Singh's support for the idea, snarkily described it as "this Punjabi Pappi-Jhappi diplomacy driven by old men with nostalgia of pre partition" and said it is "not based on realism" . But Rao, widely seen as one of India's ablest diplomats and someone who has taken to social media with gusto, would not be silenced, particularly after one tweet trashed the idea as "top class rubbish".

"Helping one's neighbours cannot be termed 'top class rubbish' as you so dismissively term it! We are not an island ," she shot back. "Why do you automatically assume that this will deprive us of electricity? That is never the intention & it will not be so," she explained in another tweet, adding that India had added 55,000 MW of power to national grid in 2007-12 , including 20,500 mw in FY 2011-12 alone, and capacity is being augmented further.

But the twitterati remained unconvinced. "Ma'am beg ur pardon but u indeed seem to b unaware about the acute power shortage even in Gurgaon n major infra woes," came one response , while another said "This govt has totally lost it."

The Pakistani media, meanwhile, picked up Rao's remarks and gave it wide play in Pakistan.

It was not immediately clear why Rao took on the power export issue, but in a blog posting in the Congressional journal The Hill last week, she stoutly defended India from the international bashing following the July 30-31 national grid collapse, saying it was an "isolated incident" and such "occasional problems should not obscure the substantial progress that has been made" in the power sector. "The spate of articles following the incidents last month focused on what journalists characterized as the dysfunctional nature of the Indian power sector . These were unfair and, in many cases, inaccurate. They certainly didn't highlight the real story: India's electrical outlook is much better now than it ever has been and is getting better at an accelerating rate," Rao wrote.

But on the very morning of her Twitter exchange, the National Public Radio ran a segment on India's blackouts — and it was not pleasant hearing. It reminded listeners that India recently had the world's biggest power outage, affecting 670 million people, or nearly 10% of world population. And even as the reporter sat down to interview a shopkeeper, the lights went out again.

I am an electrical engineering student and in this summer I did my intern ship at NTDC WAPDA and the engineer their Mr. Ishaq told us that he was in North Korea last year and Indians were signing different deals about electricity crisis and one of his North Korean friend told him that India has plan to add some 60,000MW to their national grid in next 5-6 years and that is huge amount of energy and a great achievement for any nation.Now it depends on indians weather they really are able to achieve this goal in the given time period or not. and as far as supply to pakistan is concerned it is 500MW for sure.
So Indians should not worry!!!

i don't think that's a good idea! if we do so in serious time india could cut off the electricity supply as he stops our water...we shouldn't make any deal with india coz india could nvr be sincere with pak..dushman jitna b acha ban'ny ke koshish kry dushman dushman he hota ha!

i don't think that's a good idea! if we do so in serious time india could cut off the electricity supply as he stops our water...we shouldn't make any deal with india coz india could nvr be sincere with pak..dushman jitna b acha ban'ny ke koshish kry dushman dushman he hota ha!

ameen....aisa hi ho :smitten:

its strategic decision but pakistan will not except it ,pakistan is waiting for chinese nuclear reactor 1000mw and thar coal power project from dr samar mubarak mund.

I am an electrical engineering student and in this summer I did my intern ship at NTDC WAPDA and the engineer their Mr. Ishaq told us that he was in North Korea last year and Indians were signing different deals about electricity crisis and one of his North Korean friend told him that India has plan to add some 60,000MW to their national grid in next 5-6 years and that is huge amount of energy and a great achievement for any nation.Now it depends on indians weather they really are able to achieve this goal in the given time period or not. and as far as supply to pakistan is concerned it is 500MW for sure.

We are nowhere close to achieving this target. Because of fuel and Coal shortages, in terms of productions, we may have to import these items from outside. I heard that we have shortage of 200 million tons of coal production by our Coal India. Recently we found out that most of our gas discovery estimates were inflated, so proved to be insufficient to meet our targets. Don't keep your hopes up that we may be of any help to you guys in future. Exporting electricity is always a sensitive topic here because of our own shortages. Some misguided souls(like our Nirupama roa) want to play showmanship that we are bigger and better than you, but our ground realities are different.

We have a business proposition for you. You guys claim you have huge coal reserves. So, why not export coal to India and secure your electricity contracts from us.

I think ur talking about south korea. India signed no deals with north korea for electricity. India in last 6 years added 80000 Mw. Right now India has 80000mw more under cons and more projects are starting soon. Next 5 yrs target is 90000mw. But hopefully 70000-75000mw will be added.

Back
Top Bottom