What's new

'India not favourites anymore'- Barry Richards

JonAsad

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Barry Richards says England tie has exposed Indian weaknesses

That's South African great Barry Richards' verdict after India's poor bowling and fielding show against England on Sunday

South African batting legend Barry Richards reckons the exposure of India's weakness in the bowling and fielding departments during the thrilling tie against England on Sunday will give other contenders in the World Cup enormous confidence going into the knockout stages.

India skipper M S Dhoni (right) talks to leg-spinner Piyush Chawla during their tied match against England in Bangalore. Pic/Suresh KK

Rating India's bowling attacks "as one of the weakest" in the competition, Richards said the host nation would have to post totals in excess of 350 to secure a victory. "India's bowling is a huge worry. Everyone was tipping them as the favourites at the start of the event, and so did I. But that tag isn't apt anymore. They have fielded their best possible attacks in both games and have leaked a lot of runs on both occasions. In the past, their spinners used to inflict fear in opposition batsmen, but these days there is no surprise element in their attack," Richards, who is an expert for a television channel in Mumbai, told MiD DAY.

"Most teams are quite comfortable against their bowlers, are a lot more confident against the spinners. They need to change their strategy. Also, their part-time spinners might be giving away 40-50 runs against a weaker team, but will go for plenty when up against teams like Australia, Pakistan and Sri Lanka," added Richards.

The 65-year old batting great said the perception of visiting sides (to India) has changed drastically in the last decade. "They are a lot more comfortable in India not just because they are more used to the playing conditions, but also other factors. I have seen visiting teams giving up easily while playing in India before because their minds were not totally on the job. The surprise value of playing in India has disappeared. Now they feel at home here. A lot of credit goes to the IPL. It has negated the home advantage that India had. In a way, it has worked against India because players know conditions here like the back of their hand," said Richards, who now resides in Australia.

Richards, who travelled to India for the 1996 World Cup, said he didn't imagine Sachin Tendulkar to play a World Cup 15 years later. "Sometimes I wish I could try and get into his mind and understand what he's thinking. The reason he's so successful is because he's kept himself very active. If you allow your mind and body to sync with passion and love for the game you will be able to achieve what he has. I don't think he'll quit the game until he stops enjoying it. That's a long way off," said Richards.

He asserted that the best bowling and fielding side would win the WC.

"SA's chances have always been good, they have a really good all-round team. This is one of the most open World Cups of all time. I won't count out Aus, England or Pak. At this stage, I would tilt a little towards Australia because they have three bowlers who can bowl at 145 KMPH plus and have the best fielding side,"
he said.

Barry Richards says England tie has exposed Indian weaknesses

People are looking Waaaaaaaaaayyyy too much into 1 or 2 performances. There is no doubt in my mind that India will qualify for the quarters. And whatever happens from depends on whose day it is. Teams need to peak at the right time, not at the early stages of the tournament. Lets see what happens a month from now :cheers:

Yeah,1 performance gone bad and entire world goes mad.Tell me,who played our bowlers like,what made you think so bad??Only Strauss,because he had his day,he was out two times when he nicked the ball,but no one appealed,that was the mistake,Ian Bell,didn't deserve at all to be at the crease,he was plain out and the 3rd umpire rule it not out.:hang2:
England's rest of the batsmen couldn't handle Indian bowling,except Strauss,who was out 2 times,because it was his day!!

Its way too premature to comment now and that too when India hasnt lost a match.

Anyways be happy with what satisfies your ego..a lot of Pakistanis are happy atleast.

And by the way who are the favourites? Australia whom India defeated in the warm up match..South Africa who lost the last ODI series against India even before the last ODI was played?...or is it Pakistan who fielded poorly against Sri Lanka and made a close match of what they could have won easily...or is it England who even after dominating for 45 ovrs with 8 wickets in hand couldnt win the match.

I say wait for the group stages to be over to predict the favourites

Its way too premature to comment now and that too when India hasnt lost a match.

Anyways be happy with what satisfies your ego..a lot of Pakistanis are happy atleast.

And by the way who are the favourites? Australia whom India defeated in the warm up match..South Africa who lost the last ODI series against India even before the last ODI was played?...or is it Pakistan who fielded poorly against Sri Lanka and made a close match of what they could have won easily...or is it England who even after dominating for 45 ovrs with 8 wickets in hand couldnt win the match.

Why you always bring Pakistan into it?

I think the author is not a Pakistani ,is he? Not nah ,he is a former SA great player ,so why are you blaming Pakistani's here.why don't go to him and blame him if you want to .but world says what it sees not only he but every 2nd analyst is saying that ,even your own analysts are saying that, go and catch them and ask why?

Dhoni himself said that his side has weak bowling and fielding, now go to dhoni and punch him .When bangladesh can score almost 300 easily then what more you can make up of a bowling attack?

I remember Sunil Gavaskar commenting during the match " There are no wicket taking ballers in this Indian line up, If you want to see wicket takers then go and see the likes of Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson, Shaun Tait, Dale Steyn and Shahid Afridi"

Now kill me please :)

I remember Sunil Gavaskar commenting during the match " There are no wicket taking ballers in this Indian line up, If you want to see wicket takers then go and see the likes of Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson, Shaun Tait, Dale Steyn and Shahid Afridi"

Now kill me please :)

i killed you before wht r u doing here now??

Why you always bring Pakistan into it?

I think the author is not a Pakistani ,is he? Not nah ,he is a former SA great player ,so why are you blaming Pakistani's here.why don't go to him and blame him if you want to .but world says what it sees not only he but every 2nd analyst is saying that ,even your own analysts are saying that, go and catch them and ask why?

Dhoni himself said that his side has weak bowling and fielding, now go to dhoni and punch him .When bangladesh can score almost 300 easily then what more you can make up of a bowling attack?

How are Pakistanis not involved?

The poster is a Pakistani and my friend go and have a look at the IND V ENG thread to see how Pakistanis are involved.

Pakistan ek match kya jeet gaya you guys have started behaving like the world cup is yours.

Team Indias bashing is fine but wait for some more matches...India no 2 aiyse hi nahi ban gaya.

Why dont you carry your crying to Barry :) No Pakistani cricketer has so far commented on Indian Team if you are favourit or not

Hamney toh ek baar bura kya khela,duniya hil gai!...Woh bhi when England didn't deserve a tie,because no one except strauss played well,who was out 2 times!! and Ian Bell,we all know was also out,the 3rd umpire making a wrong decision!Otherwise,tell me where did you think England should have won and India shouldn't have??Everyone failed in England except the 2 lucky Strauss and bell.

Hamney toh ek baar bura kya khela,duniya hil gai!...Woh bhi when England didn't deserve a tie,because no one except strauss played well,who was out 2 times!! and Ian Bell,we all know was also out,the 3rd umpire making a wrong decision!Otherwise,tell me where did you think England should have won and India shouldn't have??Everyone failed in England except the 2 lucky Strauss and bell.

chal chor yar ye game hai dil per mat le ehehehhee

Dil per is liye le raha hu kyunki iss thread per reply karney ki wajah se mera doodhwala ghanti bajata raha aur bhaag gaya! :cry:

chal koi bat nhi doodh wali to nhi thi ke ro rahy ho hhehhehehhe. may be he come back other wise buy today from super market yaar:P

Back
Top Bottom