What's new

India Mulls Scrapping P-8 Poseidon, MiG-29 Fighter Jet Deal With The US & Russia To Boost ‘Make In India’ Initiative

ARMalik

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
India Mulls Scrapping P-8 Poseidon, MiG-29 Fighter Jet Deal With The US & Russia To Boost ‘Make In India’ Initiative

According to the agency, the Ministry of Defense has been reviewing all ongoing projects under the “Buy Global” category, which includes direct contracts with foreign arms producers without the participation of the Indian military-industrial complex, with the view to either scrap or put on hold some of them to boost domestic arms production.

The contracts that are under review include tenders on long-range air defense systems, towed artillery pieces, vertical launch surface-to-air missiles, unmanned aerial systems, additional surveillance Boeing P-8I aircraft along with MiG-29 combat aircraft.

India signed its first contract for the purchase of eight Boeing P-8 Poseidon maritime reconnaissance aircraft in January 2009. In November 2019, the Defense Procurement Board of India approved the purchase of ten more such aircraft, five of which were delivered to India by December 2021.

In July 2020, India’s Defence Acquisition Council approved the acquisition of 21 Russia’s MiG-29 fighters, among other aircraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mig29 understand it's old fighter and in mid-late 2030s we would start retiring our existing fleet with additional Rafales and TejasMk2s. Makes lil sense to purchase these old fighters and spend millions futher to upgrade them to UPG standards only to retire them in less than 2 decades.

But cancelling P8I is bizarre, not only is it the most capable submarine hunter in the world. We have no program to develop such system locally that i know of. We need more number of them.

MiG-29 Fighter Jet Deal

Fake news by Eurasian Times, Sputnik News Agency

But cancelling P8I is bizarre, not only is it the most capable submarine hunter in the world. We have no program to develop such system locally that i know of. We need more number of them.
We’ll be trying to make C-295 some sort of a workhorse in a lot of services. Be it Airforce, Coast Guard or Navy so a P-8I equivalent with C-295 wil be worked out.

BS.
India is begging to get P-8 Poseidon, not the otherwise.

BS.
India is begging to get P-8 Poseidon, not the otherwise.
India wants p8I badly but doesnt want to show its excitement to avoid blackmailing from US. This is how I read the situation

- The US is internally pressurizing India to not activate S-400 on Pakistan border as India was making excuse that it needs S-400 to defend it from China (which clearly is a cover for getting US approval). Latest news piece below

- The US clearly wants India to focus ONLY on China which India doesn't want to (who wants another beating(s)!?)

- So the USA probably assured India in private to deploy all S-400 on China border and none on Pakistan border and the USA as a result wont apply sanctions on India while US wont get bogged down by another round of India-Pakistan skirmishes

- Deal cancellation with Russia for Mig 29 is thus to avoid further sanctions since the excuse at the time of S-400 was that there is no comparable US system which India could buy which clearly is not the case here

- India as a result has tried relieve some US pressure by cancelling the P8I contracts. My reading is India would come back licking the same deal later

- Indian military purchases will probably get more dependent on France in the coming years specially if the US-Russia relations remain as tense

1642504519703.png

Last edited:
MIG29 order in July 2020? After the gallewan conflict?
Let's help the Russians. Let PLAAF deploy more aircraft in Tibet and Xinjiang.

We’ll be trying to make C-295 some sort of a workhorse in a lot of services. Be it Airforce, Coast Guard or Navy so a P-8I equivalent with C-295 wil be worked out.
There are different ways to skin a cat. Maybe they want to follow a route similar to PN’s Sea Sultan for their future MPAs.

Last edited:
Indian navy has 12 Poseidon planes in service with 6 newly ordered ....This will not be cancelled as India increases usa foot print in its military.

The mig29 can be cancelled due to poor service history and options of building indengious fighter over next decade .
An interim.messure of hornets or Rafale is under discussion

We’re paying for each and every Poseidon, begging lol.
Have you forgotten? after Tiananmen in 1989 India became a pariah international arms market, ever since we have to resort to begging and stealing Western military tech
Mig29 understand it's old fighter and in mid-late 2030s we would start retiring our existing fleet with additional Rafales and TejasMk2s. Makes lil sense to purchase these old fighters and spend millions futher to upgrade them to UPG standards only to retire them in less than 2 decades.

Source for the article is given as Eurasian Times

Eurasian Times source is Sputnik

MIG29 order in July 2020? After the gallewan conflict?

MIG 29 orders are from 2019

Let's help the Russians. Let PLAAF deploy more aircraft in Tibet and Xinjiang.
Doubt PLAAF is at a liberty to do so

Majority of PLAAF deployments are towards the coast
1642535925571.png

and for good reason -

PLAAF has to face both USN and USAF while ensuring PLAN is not sunk
1642536126190.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom