What's new

India moves to end primary teaching in English as Modi unveils major education reforms

Wow, a "gori wife" is the benchmark of success for so many Indians.

You totally missed the point I was trying to make. That's why I like to say: many Indian men have their brains in their _____
I can understand what you are saying, but it's too much of generalization.

But if you forcefully raise a child in Marathi-medium, Bengali-medium etc. in India, they will never be able to adjust that well if they want to move overseas.
It is response to these... A man settling oversea with a foreigner and still they have adjustment problem.

Take me as an example, a bengali medium product, that you can understand from my command over the language.
But stayed over 10 years in foreign land. Never ever I have an adjustment problem.

I can understand what you are saying, but it's too much of generalization.

But if you forcefully raise a child in Marathi-medium, Bengali-medium etc. in India, they will never be able to adjust that well if they want to move overseas.
It is response to these... A man settling oversea with a foreigner and still they have adjustment problem.

Take me as an example, a bengali medium product, that you can understand from my command over the language.
But stayed over 10 years in foreign land. Never ever I have an adjustment problem.

If you read my subsequent comments, I already acknowledged that my statement is not always true. Joe Shearer is a good example of the fact that exceptions truly exist.

He certainly speaks better English than I do.

I was referring to the law of the averages. In the '90s, ICSE medium in India used to be the toughest when it came to their English syllabus. In fact, English used to be the core focus of ICSE medium in my school,. All other subjects (except for Maths and Science) took a backseat to English. We used to look down on local Indian languages in our school.

In comparison, someone in Maharashtra Board or CBSE might not have had the opportunity to learn about David Copperfield or King Lear until higher secondary, or even college. I mean I had seen their English syllabuses: they were so easy compared to ICSE.

I haven't kept track of ICSE's progress in the last two decades. If at all, it should be more Indianized by now.

I reacted to it as a document by the damn' nutcases busy trying to undo whatever had been done in the previous 66 years, saving the 5 years and a bit that Vajpayee occupied.

Overall, as a document, it is surprisingly good. A detailed analysis has to be tomorrow; it is already dangerously late for me, once again, in spite of futile attempts at reform.

The part that I question is the part about initial education being in the mother tongue. This is a fanatic and partisan point of view. It is a fact that children learn multiple languages rapidly at an early age; they can stand the three-language formula at the outset, and settle down to a single language serving as a medium of instruction towards Class 8 or so, with maximal benefit. We already know that the RSS has put in major inputs; it has almost certainly been one of the strong influences on this step.

What will happen is that the poor and lower middle-classes will be subject to this regime, that will prevent them from getting all the plum jobs and the social cachet that knowledge of English provides. It will also eliminate for them the competitive edge that superior knowledge of English provides, and reduce the competition for those who drop out of the public school system operating according to these formulae and study in private schools that flout all the rules.
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/new-education-policy.678639/#post-12587704

Why only cricketers have brain? In India a politician to become PM, he or should definitely be master of tactics and should have survived all dirty politics.

You have given me so much hope now. I now strongly believe that next PM after a Chai wala would surely be a Tandoor wala or a Rickshaw wala.

You see the difference between a Cricketer (didn't have to bring that guy in when we are talking about a Chai wala) is that the Cricketer is an Oxonian. Do you know what that is? He is a graduate of Oxford University.

Almost all the British Prime Ministers with exception of 1 or 2 in last 50+ years have been Oxford Graduates. Yes that includes the current Prime Minister Boris Johnson and former Prime Minister Theresa May. Who would be the next PM of UK? You bet it would be another Oxonian. Somehow, they do not want a Chai wala, they do not believe in those superior tactics that you mentioned. Poor UK i really feel bad for them, they should have some faith in Chai Walas in their country.

Its not just UK. Oxford has produced over 30 international leaders (Presidents and Prime Ministers). Pakistan has had 6 Oxonian Prime Ministers Liaqaut Ali Khan, Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, Benazir Bhutto and the Cricketer are the famous from the Oxonian lot.

The funny thing is India has also had 2 Oxonian Prime Ministers and they are, yes you guessed it right from the anti national and anti state party The Congress. Manmohan Singh and Indra Gandhi are the two from India.

Now that was just politics. The university is also associated with having more than 30 Nobel prize in the fields of Chemistry, Physics and Medicine. Stephen Hawkings, the legendary physicist is also an Oxonian.

But well. why am I telling you all this?

Let me just sit back in corner and pray for a Tandoor wala to be the next PM of India.

You too.... Even Moderator trolls... Now pls don't say we troll and give warnings...
Honestly I was happy on this new policy.. due to English we might get job in MNC but current set up is just churning out Engineers without required skills. New policy is atleast trying to change it.

You guys can't take a joke, not a surprise you guys want to lynch people 24 hours a day. They say people who get easily offended suffer from small man syndrome cough cough 'Modi'. Heck now a days even if you voice a different opinion you get threatened with rape.
Sorry what was that you said about 'moderation'.

You have given me so much hope now. I now strongly believe that next PM after a Chai wala would surely be a Tandoor wala or a Rickshaw wala.

You see the difference between a Cricketer (didn't have to bring that guy in when we are talking about a Chai wala) is that the Cricketer is an Oxonian. Do you know what that is? He is a graduate of Oxford University.

Almost all the British Prime Ministers with exception of 1 or 2 in last 50+ years have been Oxford Graduates. Yes that includes the current Prime Minister Boris Johnson and former Prime Minister Theresa May. Who would be the next PM of UK? You bet it would be another Oxonian. Somehow, they do not want a Chai wala, they do not believe in those superior tactics that you mentioned. Poor UK i really feel bad for them, they should have some faith in Chai Walas in their country.

Its not just UK. Oxford has produced over 30 international leaders (Presidents and Prime Ministers). Pakistan has had 6 Oxonian Prime Ministers Liaqaut Ali Khan, Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, Benazir Bhutto and the Cricketer are the famous from the Oxonian lot.

The funny thing is India has also had 2 Oxonian Prime Ministers and they are, yes you guessed it right from the anti national and anti state party The Congress. Manmohan Singh and Indra Gandhi are the two from India.

Now that was just politics. The university is also associated with having more than 30 Nobel prize in the fields of Chemistry, Physics and Medicine. Stephen Hawkings, the legendary physicist is also an Oxonian.

But well. why am I telling you all this?

Let me just sit back in corner and pray for a Tandoor wala to be the next PM of India.
Ok Thanks for info on Oxford. You mean to say that Oxford education makes a person a great leader if that is what you meant, sorry to disagree.. Manmohan Singh is a great Finance minister beyond any doubt... He was made FM by our great leader PV Narasimha Rao... We don't rate MMS as great PM or great leader... With all respects to him, we consider him as a Puppet PM. If Tandoori wala can convince majority of 1.4 billion ppl, he would be PM, when he goes to any country, he will be accorded red carpet welcome, even your PM will do because that tandoori wala is PM of India. Past professions are blurred out once a person reaches PM post .. this applicable to every country's head.
You guys can't take a joke, not a surprise you guys want to lynch people 24 hours a day. They say people who get easily offended suffer from small man syndrome cough cough 'Modi'. Heck now a days even if you voice a different opinion you get threatened with rape.
Sorry what was that you said about 'moderation'.
I said you too can't take joke.... Why so serious., Discussing about education boss why to talk about evils....

I think this is a very good step. It will get rid of the inferioritiy complex we South Asians have about getting our children to speak english.

As I have said, senior engineers can understand curry English, that's why I said it is a capability, but not everyone is a senior engineer. For those who have difficulty to understand curry English, we usually communicate with Indian coworkers via email, that's all:(.
Learning curry english is step up for noodle-english speaking chinabois like you.

I am sorry, was there something in what I wrote that seemed to oppose your perfectly sensible view? Who asked for anyone other than Indians to 'care' for this policy? Who said, anywhere, that this should be imposed on any other country?

Your post is puzzling.
I was strictly talking about Pakistani education system dear...
I wasn't defending any flaws or anything else of Indian education system...
My comment regarding indian education system was only regarding 1 point which was emitting English as mode of teaching in primary!

English medium will never end in india no matter what policy comes from modi. English in india is a status symbol a mark of upper castes especially brahmin. IN old days they had sanskrit. They will never speak in native tongues.

English medium will never end in india no matter what policy comes from modi. English in india is a status symbol a mark of upper castes especially brahmin. IN old days they had sanskrit. They will never speak in native tongues.

Don't be so negative, think positive. Indians/Pakistanis can't have an inferiority complex forever.

Back
Top Bottom