What's new

India moves to end primary teaching in English as Modi unveils major education reforms

I am reporting this to the appropriate quarters.

Expect death at an early and unexpected time. Expect much pain.
What !!
Preemptive apology is not enough!

I like you post #359. We must build up on foundation we have and instead of bringing it down, we must put mire efforts to strengthen other subjects including local languages.

You are giving too much credit to india's ability in implementing its policies. also india does not seek to be free of its colonial past but rather perpetuate it with new colonists. India wont junk english. Indian elite want to keep english to themselves - they just dont want others to learn english.

Translation.
I hate India and everything Indian. The topic doesn't matter, let's not get confused. Let's get right to the point.
I HATE INDIA AND EVERYTHING INDIAN. THE TOPIC DOESN'T MATTER, IT NEVER HAS, LET'S NOT GET CONFUSED.

Indian policies? Bad
Indian efforts at leaving behind the colonial past? Don't make me laugh. They want to carry it on.
Indian elite? Bad; they want to hang on to English to do in the others.

Why doesn't everybody stop wasting time? Repeat after me: India BAD!

Translation.
I hate India and everything Indian. The topic doesn't matter, let's not get confused. Let's get right to the point.
I HATE INDIA AND EVERYTHING INDIAN. THE TOPIC DOESN'T MATTER, IT NEVER HAS, LET'S NOT GET CONFUSED.

Indian policies? Bad
Indian efforts at leaving behind the colonial past? Don't make me laugh. They want to carry it on.
Indian elite? Bad; they want to hang on to English to do in the others.

Why doesn't everybody stop wasting time? Repeat after me: India BAD!

Its not my fault if india sucks at these things. I stuck to topic - it was about india's policy regarding english . And I was explaining to the gentlemen who rather prematurely celebrating that india will be free of colonialism with a new policy paper and new signature by a babu/mantri that it may not be so.

Its not my fault if india sucks at these things. I stuck to topic - it was about india's policy regarding english . And I was explaining to the gentlemen who rather prematurely celebrating that india will be free of colonialism with a new policy paper and new signature by a babu/mantri that it may not be so.

Oh, quite.

I am just the translator - like they said in Wild West saloons,"Please don't shoot the pianist. He's doing his best."

But I do understand; I am an Indian pianist, after all.

Oh, quite.

I am just the translator - like they said in Wild West saloons,"Please don't shoot the pianist. He's doing his best."

But I do understand; I am an Indian pianist, after all.

You cant translate it back to the original guy. what you are doing is putting words in my mouth. In the wild west it might get you shot in a jiffy. I may offer you a duel out of respect though :-)

I'm not sure why a fractions of Indian living abroad start to hate former mother land and go GA AG with new found love. There is a stark difference between positive criticism and blind hate. Those people need understand that a person do not have to hate other to love some one.

Back to your post
Sir, As far is colonialism is concerned it was over long back. We'll celebrate end of it in two weeks . You are always welcome to join us.
India suck a lot of things so does USA. Pull out you local newspapers and news channels you'll know. Let's do not take moral high ground for something which does not exist.

Additionally, less English speaking Indian is better for job markets for USA citizens. Lot more will be able do actual work/earn. We all know pay cheque earned after actual work is always better that being parasite.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why a fractions of Indian living abroad start to hate former mother land and go GA AG with new found love. There is a stark difference between positive criticism and blind hate. Those people need understand that a person do not have to hate other to love some one.

Back to your post
Sir, As far is colonialism is concerned it was over long back. We'll celebrate end of it in two weeks . You are always welcome to join us.
India suck a lot of things so does USA. Pull out you local newspapers and news channels you'll know. Let's do not take moral high ground for something which does not exist.

Additionally, less English speaking Indian is better for job markets for USA citizens. Lot more will be able do actual work/earn. We all know pay cheque earned after actual work is always better that being parasite.

I was about to reply with a o_O + :what: ...but then realised you replying to someone I have on ignore lol....so magic marker stuff I'm not seeing heh.

I was about to reply with a o_O + :what: ...but then realised you replying to someone I have on ignore lol....so magic marker stuff I'm not seeing heh.
Sorry, it was not intended for you,. I'll update that post. Lack of computer skill always haunt me.
I wish I had learnt English from my primary school :P

I am saying that we should not abandon our policy of emphasis on English teaching, but should build up from that, not down from that
I didn't think you were abandoning teaching English. Only postponing it?

is not clear how banning English from being taught in primary school will teach people to think and grow in their own languages. That happens, in my very humble opinion, only with practice of one's own language.

With great respect and humility if you think that then you must come from a very privileged
background and had a very educated mother.unfortunately for 99% of south Asians there is very little thinking or growing at home. There is a great deal of obedience, religion and cultural values but not much of anything else.

A child taught in his mother tongue is more likely to keep up with his studies.english can be taught later. You are not too old to learn it at 10.

I see this insistance on teaching everything in English to a four year old to be elitist and a way of maintaining the status quo and keep the peasants in their place.

PS one more point. It is also more likely that the teacher teaching the poor student doesn't speak English very well either. So you have a 5 year old with an uneducated mother being taught basic arithmetic in a language neither he nor his teacher really understands. No wonder most kids in India drop out of school. It's a waste if time.

Last edited:
English is not a classy language to begin with, more like a language of the trade
That's probably because you don't understand English very well. It's actually one of the most beautiful and flexible languages. It's good for science and poetry. Not too good for religion though.

You cant translate it back to the original guy. what you are doing is putting words in my mouth. In the wild west it might get you shot in a jiffy. I may offer you a duel out of respect though :-)

A duel?

A pacific vegetarian Bong who wears glasses, against a fine, upstanding jaw-jutting hero like you?

Gotta be kidding.

Go pick a hero.

I didn't think you were abandoning teaching English. Only postponing it?

What I wanted to say - but was obviously prevented from doing by equally obvious lack of English skills acquired at the primary school level - was that the change in emphasis would make such a difference that it would amount to abandoning the teaching of English.

Back
Top Bottom