What's new

India Makes a Serious Bid to Become a Space Power -- Again

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
India, one of only three Asian states capable of launching spacecraft, said it had earned US$69 million launching 15 foreign satellites from 2011 until the end of June.

The amount, while seemingly impressive, is a mere 0.02 percent of the world's US$304 billion annual space business dominated by the US.

A combination of commercial and geopolitical aims is intended to launch India's latest bid to be recognized as a true space power.

On the commercial front, India launched 15 foreign satellites and 14 Indian satellites during fiscal years 2011-2014.

On the geopolitical front, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has promised to turn India into a space power to contend with as part of his campaign promise to restore India's influence as a regional power to counterbalance China.

Modi is also billing himself as a champion of Asian countries and has called on India's space industry to develop a satellite that will be shared with neighboring Asian nations "as a gift from India."

Science and Technology Minister Jitendra Singh said the Department of Space has revealed its plan for India's space program until 2020.

The plan includes the development of advanced launch vehicle systems; orbiting earth observation satellites with improved photo resolution; deploying a constellation of regional navigation satellites and building high-power, high-throughput communication satellites.

The satellite projects will be the responsibility of the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), India's space agency. The main objective of ISRO, which counts among the largest government space agencies in the world, is to advance space technology and use its applications for India's benefit.

In June, ISRO launched five foreign satellites that included Spot-7, a high-resolution earth-observation satellite belonging to Airbus Defense & Space Company.

It also carried four other smaller satellites: NLS7.1 and NLS7.2 from the University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies' Space Flight Laboratory; VELOX-1 from Nangyang Technological University, Singapore and AISAT from the German Aerospace Center.

India's aggressive moves in the commercial launch sector reinforce its reputation as a low-cost alternative for orbiting satellites.

India spends US$1.1 billion annually on its space program. It currently has 20 in-orbit communication and remote sensing satellites.

India Makes a Serious Bid to Become a Space Power -- Again : World : ChinaTopix.com

This super power stuff is silly - more in the minds of the author than anything else.

India just needs to keep its head down and focus internally - the rest will follow.

He has written SPACE POWER not Super Power.......

Ha ha..Silly me.

Thanks for bringing it out.

My bad.

If it was written Super power, i wouldn't have started this thread. All this talk of Super Power & we crossing china is a distant dream & BS.

When there are people like Lalu, Nitish, TRS chief, along with MEDIA who are hell bent on bringing India down whenever it starts to progress, i don't see us even near to that target.

we will have to make the moves like tortoise & no this is not a FICTION story where tortoise will win the race against rabbit b'coz rabbit is in no mood to take any REST.

No big fund allocation for human space flight program...:(

I still think we need a national plan where all youth who turn 18 are sent to a special boot camp for 2 yrs. Not just fo military training like IDF but to incorporate certain techniques that Mao used. It ay sound ridiculous but its not. No matter how much we progress, there will be a significant amount of ppl who are left behind, who think backwards or not able to grasp the changes for a good purpose. Basically, what I am noticing is that we all Indians used to know our neighbors, chit chat with strangers, help one another, etc. There was a sense of community in the rural area but ti is disappearing due to the influx of Western lifestyle choices, goods, and nobody to guide them along. In China, there would be leaders in every town and village to educate ppl on anything and everything that was going on. Obviously, that was one sided but we can do it much better.

Just food for thought. Do we just become rich and developed? A cash cow for other nations? Or do we bring nationalism and unity to such a high point that we are able to sway the world to join in efforts to colonize the sea and space....

Exciting times ahead for the Bharatis.

1. 2016 we'll be sending a rocket to the Sun.
2. 2017 we'll be sending a rover to the moon.
3. 2022 will be our human space flight.

If our Mars mission is successful and the 2017 moon rover mission is also successful then we will be in a position to put a rover on Mars by 2025. China plans to do this in 2020.

If it was written Super power, i wouldn't have started this thread. All this talk of Super Power & we crossing china is a distant dream & BS.

Can you please explain how.

We are ahead of them in satellite imaginary.

We are ahead of then in Mars mission.

We are ahead of them in multiple satellite launching in one mission.

They are ahead of us in weight lifting.

They are ahead of us in sending man in space.

In some aspect they are ahead in some aspects we are ahead.

We shall soon catch up them in weight lifting and man mission to space.

Can you please explain how.

We are ahead of them in satellite imaginary.

We are ahead of then in Mars mission.

We are ahead of them in multiple satellite launching in one mission.

They are ahead of us in weight lifting.

They are ahead of us in sending man in space.

In some aspect they are ahead in some aspects we are ahead.

We shall soon catch up them in weight lifting and man mission to space.

these types of comparison are futile. their goals and out goals are different.

Exciting times ahead for the Bharatis.

1. 2016 we'll be sending a rocket to the Sun.
2. 2017 we'll be sending a rover to the moon.
3. 2022 will be our human space flight.

If our Mars mission is successful and the 2017 moon rover mission is also successful then we will be in a position to put a rover on Mars by 2025. China plans to do this in 2020.

Actually, we may target a Mars rover mission by 2018.

these types of comparison are futile. their goals and out goals are different.

I am not talking of goal I am talking about the capability. Your strength in any field is determined by your capability and not intention.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom