What's new

India-made passenger plane coming soon

@jarves

What problem would the GOI have with funding a program of such critical importance to the military? As for human resources and bureaucracy, the former don't want to work in public sector units due to the latter. We have absolutely no shortage of human resources IMO.

I'm referring to engines used in military products (jet/helicopter/tanks).

They are still struggling althoug they are atleast 6 to seven years ahead of us.

If this is true then the gap isn't all that big.

@jarves

Thanks for the links.

@chak de INDIA

Any idea when the Kaveri is expected to be ready?

Also, what about the engines used in our warships? Are those indigenous or imported?

I'm referring to engines used in military products (jet/helicopter/tanks).
Jets-We are devloping Kaveri engine but it is still not ready and not enough to power Tejas.

Helicopters-We did a JV with Snecma and devloped a engine named as Shakti.W e contributed atleast 18% in R&D.We will manufacture the whole engine here in India in four phases,not sure in which phase the project currently is.
We are now on a stage that we can devlop our own engines(we are devloping them according to some members but no credible sources yet).

Ships-We are also devloping naval version of Kaveri engine which has maximum output of 12Mw and are are working on to increase the output to 18Mw.American engines have maximum output of 22Mw.This engine will be ready in 3 to 4 years.

UAV-Almost all our own UAV's are powered by Indigenous engines or will be powered by indigenous ones in future.

Tanks-We are currently using German engines in our tanks(Arjun).There is a project to devlop a 15000hp or 18000hp engine(not sure) with the help of private industry for our FMBT tanks.
If this is true then the gap isn't all that big.
The gap is increasing because Chinese are massively funding there project.

Thanks for the links.
I have more info,just wait for some time.
Also, what about the engines used in our warships? Are those indigenous or imported?
Imported.Only 5 countries have this technology.China also imports it from Ukraine.We are devloping Naval version of Kaveri also.

@jarves

So basically, barring the wankel engine, we don't have a single indigenous engine in use in our military. Right? If yes, then we're falling behind.

I hope they are Talking about the MTA ? :undecided:
yeah....once every two years a commitee is to give specs in 3 months....it's been going on for 7 years now.

I know MTA is a JV( for the namesake ) with russia.

Even they were planning to go for a 90 seater version of Saras. . it could be that ? :undecided:

No you're right - the article is talking about RTA, not be confused with MTA which is a military project with ruskies.

@jarves

So basically, barring the wankel engine, we don't have a single indigenous engine in use in our military. Right? If yes, then we're falling behind.
Not one but there are 3 or 4 more engines,But you should also consider thatOnly 5 to 6 countries have engine technology.

My mom is getting angry,i will reply you in more detail tomorrow morning. :wave:

@TimeToScoot ,here is some more info.......

Saurav Jha's Blog : An 'engine' for India's growth

Rolls-Royce, HAL Setting Up Aero Engines Production Facility

Nirbhay engine-Trishul blog - Google Search

Indian Developments in Materials for Military Aero Engines

Indigenous gas turbine engine for Indian Navy

TRISHUL: Sensor Fitments Of IAC-1/INS Vikrant & INS Vikramaditya Explained

"The ground endurance run for the solitary KGMT technology demonstrator has been completed & based on the results obtained, now prototype fabrication is now in progress for three units in all . All these will be put through a round of accelerated trials in a test-cell to determine the engine’s TTSL & TBO schedules. This phase will be completed by 2016 & only after that will it be possible to start series-production of certified KGMTs. Kaveri turbofan too is now being improved upon after obtaining all the test-data through the flight-tests on an IL-76MD in Zhukovsky, Russia, that were concluded by 2011. Flightworthy prototypes will be available from 2015 for a final round of validatory flight-tests, following which it will be certified for usage on platforms like the AURA USAV."

Year: 2012

Hindustan Aeronautics Limited

Post 53 and 54- India to provide helicopters to Afghanistan soon | Page 4

ISRO Plans Reusable Launch Vehicle (RLV-TD) Test Flight in 2013 | Page 2

TRISHUL: Clearing The Mist On India’s Small Turbofan R & D Efforts & Updates On T-90S MBT Upgrade

HAL/Turbomeca Shakti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.easa.europa.eu/certifica...meca_ARDIDEN_1_series_engines-03-04022010.pdf

Wankel engine cleared to power UAVs - The Hindu

@jarves

Thanks for the links.

Not one but there are 3 or 4 more engines,But you should also consider thatOnly 5 to 6 countries have engine technology.

Which other indigenous engines are in use by the military?

Last edited:
@jarves

Thanks for the links.

Which other indigenous engines are in use by the military?
Dude learn to quote posts properly,i dont get the alerts and if you edit your posts after some time then dont forget to tag the person you have quoted.

As for your question read the links i have shared.I told you in one of my posts that HAL is seperately devloping engines for helicopters and other things(apart from GTRE).Here is the blog,read the last line although its still cannot be called as a credible source.....

Thum! Kaun Aata Hai?: Search results for Kaveri engine

Here is one more engine........

Livefist: Now, A Third Indigenous UAV Turbofan Effort

As for your question read the links i have shared.I told you in one of my posts that HAL is seperately devloping engines for helicopters and other things(apart from GTRE).Here is the blog,read the last line although its still cannot be called as a credible source.....

@jarves
Yes, there are quite a few engines in development. I was concerned about the ones we're already using and only the Wankel engine comes to mind.

Back
Top Bottom